Treadmill Troubles :(

Options
Hi all. I need some advice about running on treadmills. I've never been a runner a day in my life, but I've been trying to change that. I'm hoping to work my way up to completing a mile in 10 minutes. For the moment, I'm still working on getting to a mile in 12 minutes. But anyways...as I was saying, it's really awkward for me to run. It's just not a natural movement for me. I've been able to get a rhythm down, but I've noticed that my feet are slamming against the treadmill and it's making a pretty annoying banging sound. I'm sure everybody knows the exact sound I'm referring to. I thought I might've been running too fast at first, so I've slowed down, but it's still happening. Any advice? It doesn't bother me too much because I'm so focused on keeping my pace up, but I'm afraid that it bothers other people that might be next to me. Thanks for all your help in advance!

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Bumping for you and for me. I get this too, and I wasn't sure if I had a weak treadmill, I was too big for the treadmill, or what!
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    my inability to run on a treadmill ( stamina not form) led me to an elliptical machine. They really burn the calories. Congrats your almost there.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I certainly know what you mean. I'm trying to be a runner but it's just not natural for me either. I'm only 5'3" and it's awkward running next to taller, leaner people that look so graceful running like a gazelle! I'm just trying my best to develop a rhythm and get my breathing in sync.

I'm trying this program out, but honestly, running for 1 minute segments is extremely exhausting for me! (and that's at 5.0mph w/ no incline!!) :ohwell:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/run-walk-program

Wish I had better advice for you, looking forward to seeing what others have to say about this!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if it's from the way I'm built, because all my extra weight is below my waist and I'm really short. At just 5'0'', I have really thick legs and things just kind of bounce around... lol. That one program sounds pretty interesting but i can't make it to the gym every day in order to do that :/ I've been slowly building my endurance by just walking faster and faster every week. I've been walking a mile in 15:05 lately. You might want to try that before you get into running just yet. And Mike--I love the elliptical too! It's helped me out so much with endurance and stamina, but I've gotten bored with it and I love the rush I get from running. I've never been a runner, so it's exhilarating for me. Plus, I think the treadmill's going to help me really tone up some.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Could it have something to do with your stride? I've only just gotten into running myself (trying the Couch to 5K challenge) but I noticed when I first started, I was trying to keep up with my running buddy who is taller (I'm 5'0" like yourself!) and in order to do that, I was taking longer strides and foot flopping. I was reading an article in Runner's World that talked about really going your own pace and taking shorter, quicker strides. It said that if you're working to run longer distances, that your strides should end just below your body. I've tried this on my last run and I felt that it definitely helped me out. I don't really try to go that fast since I have nowhere near enough endurance to run for very long so I figured I'd try to just run 5k at my own pace and feel comfortable with that before I try to increase my speed.

Hope that helps and in any case,maybe everyone around you is also really focused on their workout and are not bothered or even notice the sound! Oh, or you could also try running outdoors. Not as much people around you and it really tests you. I was so surprised how hard it was for me to complete the SAME run outdoors as it was on a treadmill! Happy running!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I need some advice about running on treadmills. I've never been a runner a day in my life, but I've been trying to change that. I'm hoping to work my way up to completing a mile in 10 minutes. For the moment, I'm still working on getting to a mile in 12 minutes. But anyways...as I was saying, it's really awkward for me to run. It's just not a natural movement for me. I've been able to get a rhythm down, but I've noticed that my feet are slamming against the treadmill and it's making a pretty annoying banging sound. I'm sure everybody knows the exact sound I'm referring to. I thought I might've been running too fast at first, so I've slowed down, but it's still happening. Any advice? It doesn't bother me too much because I'm so focused on keeping my pace up, but I'm afraid that it bothers other people that might be next to me. Thanks for all your help in advance!

You are just being self-conscious. I bet they don't even notice it, in fact, they are probably thinking the same thing about their own running style.

I too, do that, it is difficult not to. The treadmills can be noisy anyway and then you have the other motorised machines in the gym, couple all that with music that may be playing too, I bet you can't even be heard x
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that as well, it is probably due to your stride. When you first move from walk to run your stride is shorter until you get into the swing of it which can be noisy. This movement should take only about 30 seconds once your stride is elongated (it’s ok if you are petite, you can still lengthen your stride) and it should get less noisy as long as you are moving smoothly. Perhaps you are increasing the speed too fast that you can't get your rhythm. Try slowly increasing until you are running comfortably. Yes, it will be noisier than walking even with a great stride but it’s a gym, it’s supposed to be noisy. It’s great you are getting into running just be mindful of your knees. I'm not a runner myself but when I am on holiday I use treadmills daily and move between 1 minute of running then speed walking. Last time I was on vacation though in June I just used the elliptical and its so much nicer on your joints and I don’t have joint problems I just want to ensure I never do. I actually stayed on it over an hour on my off-day and burned 1000 calories (yes, I wouldn’t leave until I hit that mark, I pushed hard at the end b/c breakfast was ending in 5 minutes and I didn't want to miss it, lol! Don’t worry, I didn’t eat all my exercise calories back at breakfast, lol ;)
  • Norbert2010
    Options
    What Lotus said. You are spending too much time worrying about what other people might think about your form. You are doing it the right way in building up from walking to running and even using a run/walk program will help. Have you tried going further than a mile at a reduced paced?

This will give you the required endurance and more and running further and slower will bizarrely aid you in running your shorter distances quicker.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    First of all, I see you're goal is about time and not distance. To be honest, it's much easier to work on sprinting outside on a track. If there is a school nearby maybe you could use their track to try it out.

Second, I also think it's not as loud as you think it is. :wink: I've been running next to some pretty big (aka muscular) men on the treadmill and they aren't even that loud. Maybe you just haven't gotten to a point where you're comfortable yet. It took me about 3 months and two 5k's before I felt like I knew what I was doing.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Just to echo, I think you need to find the right pace for your body. When I started on treadmills about 5 years ago, it was really awkward. I would trip, shuffle my feet, stumble, etc. I found that I was actually going too slow for my body. Going faster took more effort, but there was a sweet spot that I was comfortable in. As time went on, I would increase the speed.

Your inclination can also have an effect. I can't run on a 0 incline. I need to put it at about 1% to run comfortably.

Also, don't by afraid of the "middle" numbers, like 5.7mph, or 4.3mph. Avoid going up just by .5 or 1 mph increments.

Stick with, and be patient. You'll get there!
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I've never been a runner either, but last fall I started the couch to 5k program at my gym - it wasn't too intense and wasn't a daily program so it fit my lifestyle well. as a new runner, I was more concerned about the amount of time I could run before having to walk again - and finally got to running 20 minutes straight before I "quit the gym" last month. I am now running outside as the weather is great and it's more interesting, but I find it harder to run (which I think is an even better work out). there is no treadmill encouraging you, it all comes from you.

sorry, kind of off subject. I would focus more on stamina than speed. maybe you're not going at the right pace for your body. I also try to focus on putting down my heel first and then transferring my weight to the balls of my feet.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty trying to get into running too :D I've found that when I started C25K, I was trying to run too fast and take too big strides. I couldn't get much longer than a minute and a half before I was too tired to run anymore. I took some suggestions from here and dropped my speed from 5.0 to 4.7 or 4.8 and I took shorter strides, so it was more of a jog than actual running. It worked much better for me and on the first day I tried it I went from 90 seconds as my longest run to 3 minutes. You just need to play with speeds and your stride until you find what is comfy. I have chunky legs, particularly my thighs, so a grace long stride isn't possible until my legs get skinnier... lol.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice, tips, and suggestions everybody! I don't know if my stride has anything to do with it, but for the moment I've been taking really short ones. When I was running tonight on the treadmill I was able to discover the answer to my problem. I've been running mainly on the balls of my feet, so the front of my foot has been hitting the treadmill before my heel has. I tried putting down my heel first and it seemed to make the banging stop for the most part. It's going to be hard for me run like that for long distances since I'm so used to doing it the other way, but I'll just have to rebuild my endurance! Thanks again for all your help!