Okay, really, how long do the last 5-10lbs take to lose?

Options
HI all,

Here are some quick stats:
Height: 5'4
Starting Weight: 168
Current Weight: 143
Goal Weight: 135
Exercises: 3 times a week for 1.5-2hrs: some cardio and lots of weights and plyo
Calorie intake 1550-1650 (sometime more on high calorie burn days).
"On Plan" since January
Eating "type": I go for moderation. I try to keep my three main meals healthy, choose snacks that will keep me satisfied and I allow myself to indulge in something sweet each day (I want to keep this liveable).

So, I'm getting close to my goal weight and I know that the weight is supposed to come off slower the closer you get. Mine is just choosing not to come off at all. I have fluctuated between 144-142.8 for the last month and a half. Is this what happens the closer you get to a goal weight? I refuse to give up, but since I've never gotten this close to goal, I don't really know what to expect. I can't believe I have no fat left to lose ... I should still be losing ...

Anyway, thanks for your time and thoughts!

Replies

• kjadkins428
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, very similar to you. 23 years old, 5'3", starting weight was 158. The first 14 lbs came off pretty easily in 2 months doing Weight Watchers, but for the past month I've had a net loss of 0.2 lbs. So here I am, stuck at 144ish. I'd love to hear any tips/suggestions anyone has! I'm trying to get to 135.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, very similar to you. 23 years old, 5'3", starting weight was 158. The first 14 lbs came off pretty easily in 2 months doing Weight Watchers, but for the past month I've had a net loss of 0.2 lbs. So here I am, stuck at 144ish. I'd love to hear any tips/suggestions anyone has! I'm trying to get to 135.

Yeah, my body seems to be very comfortable here ... but it doesn't seem to want to let go of anymore (and there's still plenty more for it to let go of!)
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Anyone?
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was stuck around 20-22lbs from goal, could not get it to budge. I was livid. I actually went to get my resting metabolic rate tested. Turns out, I am WAY faster than expected. I burn over 2300 calories just at rest. My diet plan was giving me too few calories. Since then, they upped my calorie intake, I am eating every couple of hours, and doing small plateau breakers that limit carbs and sugar every 7-10 days. It's helped me get to within 17.5lbs.

Maybe get your metabolism checked or try eating more frequently? Good luck! Congrats on all your success so far.
  • AstridParties
    AstridParties Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    BUMP.....in the same predicament ...very frustrating....lets hang in there
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your workouts? Sometimes your body just gets used to waht you're doing and becomes better at it so you won't burn the same calories. Try something completely different and maybe it'll jump start your metabolism.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Got about 6 to 7 more lbs to lose. My guess is that it's going to take awhile. A LONG while. lol I'd love to have it off by summer but not sure that's going to happen. Trying not to focus so much about the weight and trying to enjoy the process more. I have faith that I'll lose it, just not in the time frame my mind has set up. Just keep going!!
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Hmmm .... getting my RMR tested might not be a bad idea ...

I was stuck around 20-22lbs from goal, could not get it to budge. I was livid. I actually went to get my resting metabolic rate tested. Turns out, I am WAY faster than expected. I burn over 2300 calories just at rest. My diet plan was giving me too few calories. Since then, they upped my calorie intake, I am eating every couple of hours, and doing small plateau breakers that limit carbs and sugar every 7-10 days. It's helped me get to within 17.5lbs.

Maybe get your metabolism checked or try eating more frequently? Good luck! Congrats on all your success so far.
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Well, I meet with a trainer and she gives me different types of workouts, so my workouts are constantly changing. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and just take the darn spin class that people keep trying to get me to take! ;-)

Have you tried switching up your workouts? Sometimes your body just gets used to waht you're doing and becomes better at it so you won't burn the same calories. Try something completely different and maybe it'll jump start your metabolism.
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Got about 6 to 7 more lbs to lose. My guess is that it's going to take awhile. A LONG while. lol I'd love to have it off by summer but not sure that's going to happen. Trying not to focus so much about the weight and trying to enjoy the process more. I have faith that I'll lose it, just not in the time frame my mind has set up. Just keep going!!

Yeah, I'm prepared for it to take awhile, I just thought I'd see *some* progress (even if it was 1-2lbs) in the past month in a half. I don't mind if it's *slow* progress, but I'd like to see some progress, you know?
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too - except my scale doesn't seem to be moving anywhere. My body seems to be very comfortable at thsi weight and is loathe to give it up.

5"5
    SW: 153
    CW: 150
    GW: 135 - 140

I'm currently training for a half marathon and I strength train 2x a week. The scale hasn't moved very much, but my body composition and endurance has improved. AND my butt looks better in jeans. So, I guess I'll have to take that for now.

I've heard losing weight is much harder the closer you get to your body's 'set point weight.' Have you tried calorie cycling? Maybe your metabolism just needs a little re-set if you've been following a low-cal diet.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I
  • oregongal77
    Options
    I did the Advocare 24 day challenge and in the first 10 days I lost 10 pounds and my husband lost 13. Something to look into if your looking to switch things up. https://www.advocare.com/130326449/24DayChallenge/default.aspx
  • larrymarquez
    larrymarquez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you checked your body fat or water %? maybe your gaining muscle.
    do 1 week where you work out 5 or more times, I do 45-60 min cardio before work and 60-90 weight training after work 4-5/week. avoid all starchy food and sugars including fruit and alcohol.
    switching up your exercises should help.
    if you do this for 1 week and you still dont lose weight your probably cheating yourself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mine never did slow down. I just really tightened up on my logging accuracy (weighing everything except free-pouring liquids, measuring those) set MFP to lose .5 lbs/week and ate back half of my exercise calories.

Are you using a food scale?
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and was 139 wanted to be 129. I have hovered about 133-136 all my life. I set MFP to 1 lb a week and it came off 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Not completely linear, but very close. I had ten lbs to lose total. No difference in timing of the first 5 or last 5 lb timing. No difference in passing my "normal" weight my body was for 20+ years. In fact, it was so smooth I decided to keep going, because I'm still flabby. I worked out 3-5 days a week, kept my cals above 1200 but didn't eat back all my exercise calories. In fact I decided to keep going to get rid of this stupid back fat under my bra. I'm now 127 and the back fat and belly are still there but much smaller.

My opinion is that people build an expectation and 'plan" for the last lbs to be very hard. What you focus on is usually what you get. Plus, I could see just plain getting tired of trying with just minimal results when you started out getting huge results - so you sabotage yourself.

I agree that your body gets in a rut - so change it up. Get a new workout DVD from the library. Eat dinner earlier. Try hot yoga. Eat cheese. Take up a new sport.