HATE Working Out

Options

Replies

• awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me, working out is the part of my fitness and health routine that makes me feel like a fitness guru. I feel like I really care about my fitness when I workout. If I just eat right I feel like I'm trying to lose weight the easy way. I think fitness is part of the "mental game".

It took about 4 months for me to find the "right" exercise. Now I'm addicted to working out and trying to find the right balance between working out and caloric intake. I had weight loss surgery in July, 2012.

:flowerforyou:
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I hate working out too! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you! I only really enjoy dancing... I'm checking out the posts to see if I see anything that might help me as well. THanks!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Proven fact you burn more cals doing something you like you will work harder train better and ultimatly look better if you hate a certian kind of workout move on
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you enjoy doing.

Hiking, swimming, zumba, belly dancing, geocaching, yoga, rowing, rock climbing, biking, soccer, baseball, tennis, rollerblading, hula hooping, gymnastics, boxing, those video game fit or dance games, surfing, trampoline, I'll even throw sex in there. You gotta atleast, even just slightly, enjoy one of these? If not, keep looking for something you do.

Try doing something where you can advance and get better at it. You will be proud of the progress. Try working out around a different scenery. Listen to music while you work out, and keep it to up beat songs and update them often.

edit. It's spelt throw, Jess, not through. :P
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, but I love strength training. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to have a body that looks awesome without the need for any kind of training, but heavy lifting is my thing. I've carved out a sweet home gym for myself over the past couple of years, and now it's almost like an oasis for me. When I get home from work, I put on my workout clothes and head downstairs, and for that brief period, the only things in the world are me, some iron, and success or failure.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I HATE working out.

I hate sweating. I hate changing clothes. I hate tying my shoes. I hate having to fix my hair. I hate my face being all red and glowy for an hour after I finish. I hate the gym, I hate the perky people at the gym, I hate the color they painted the gym.

But you know what, it's what I have to do, so I put on my big girl panties and I just do it.:grumble:
  • sarcosis1
    sarcosis1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I hate working out too (cardio), I dread it and I feel awful while I'm doing it but afterwards, I feel awesome! It's strange. I prefer weight training but I like the feeling I get after a cardio workout. I'm torn.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm one my body hates movement. I took a 30 minute walk yesterday and ended up with blisters! It really doesn't matter what I do it always ends up hurting.

You have to be consistent. Depending on where your blisters are, you may also need better fitting shoes.

Exercise always hurts in the beginning, you just have to keep going until it gets better and then challenge yourself again.

As far the blisters, try Dr. Scholls moleskin. Cut it to fit the parts where you blister the most. If you have blisters already, they also make padded moleskin. place it AROUND the blister but not on it. You'll be amazed. Also, look in to getting shoes that are designed for your specific exercise and fitted for you.

This is my issue I start then end up hurt and have to stop, so i always lose my momentum. I went for a brief walk just now and now the tendon on the top of my foot is killing me and it feels like I twisted my knee. I'm probably babying where my blister was which is again throwing my already f'ed up gate off.

I truly think my body hates movement. Sorry to highjack, but I do feel better afterwards its just the before and during that is torture and the inevitable pain that will show up later.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you don't like exercising, don't. You don't need to work out to lose weight. It's good for you though. I don't absolutely love eating my vegetables all the time, but I still do that too. We're adults, we have to do some things we don't like sometimes.
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    Jump on a small trampoline while watching television. It'll equal cardio. Buy the potable pedals and pedal while sitting, talking on phone, watching television. Take up nature photography. Keep walking to get that good angle and shot. There must bei something in your neighborhood you'd like to capture in photos. Find music that suits you. Join a meet-up group to be with others, and exercise, walk or dance.

I hope some of the ideas folks have brought up strike an a-ha for you!

Heck, go up and down aisles of stores to compare prices. Save money and get footsteps in.

Good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No.

Honestly . . . no.

I like working out. Even if I'm dragging butt and I don't want to go to the gym but end up going any way I feel SO MUCH BETTER. It's a feeling of euphoria (possibly because the workout is done LOL) but I feel like I accomplished something and I feel good. I feel like crap if I am counting on going to workout and something happens and I can't. My day is ruined and I'm really crabby.

It sounds like you need to find something that you're going to enjoy doing.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I must admit that when I began working out I despised it with a passion, but after I got into a routine of doing it everyday I really have grown to love it. One of the things that has helped me is to give myself challenges like beating the number of reps I did last workout or running faster than the last time. Hang in there and find something that you love to do and you will probably find that you will come to enjoy it.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need to put on your big girl panties and just do it :)

You aren't eating enough by the way
    Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I still do it. I find things I don't absolutely dread. I just recently started to run again and I find doing it on the treadmill to be VERY boring however; its still very icy here so my options are sit on my but or do it on the treadmill so I found shows I am only "allowed" to watch while on the treadmill - time goes faster and I don't hate it... in fact I look forward to it because I get to watch my shows.

I swim because I love it, I have always loved it.

FInd things you don't hate and do it... just suck it up and do it, your body will thank you and by body I mean your internal organs such as your heart and lungs.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png

Every hotel that I've ever stayed at has a "fitness center" with at least a treadmill or two plus there's a gazillion bodyweight exercises and contraption for exercises, i.e. resistance bands, abwheel, etc. that you can use even if there was nothing while you're on the road "traveling". I'm assuming that by "traveling for work" that you mean living out of hotel rooms. Just get up early and do it so that it does not take any time away from your day. Do it as if you were brushing and flossing and showering; just another daily habit. Also, I find that listening to my favorite music with an ipod or whatever else is available, really helps me get through it.
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    i enjoy working out ONLY if its at the gym, i hate doing work out videos at home. unfortunately i don't have a car so i don't often get to go to the gym. so i just eat at a deficit and it works fine for me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png
    Gotta hate being overweight and out of shape more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You're grumpy because your carbs are low. Add one extra serving of carbs and depending on the workout you do maybe 1-2 servings of protein. Low calorie diets especially at lower body fats have an adverse effect on mood and hormones. You can dispute this, but a lot of physique athletes get depressed and moody once they cut a lot of their carbs out while trying to maintain the same level of performance at the gym.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hate yoga, pilates, swimming, jogging, bicycling, treadmills, fitness machines, and dancing.

so i dont do them.

instead, i do HIIT, powerlifting, gymnastics, sprinting, jumping, pullups, pushups, hiking, isometrics, plyometrics, aand weight pulls.

Gotta find something you look forward to :)
  • AvaReneMari
    AvaReneMari Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.I dread leaving my house to workout....and im a 7a-7pm nurse ill work 3-5 days a week. Just want to loinge aroundthe house.you aint alone.