Just want to say hi!

Options
I'm new to this site. I just sort of stumbled upon it a few days ago cause I was looking for an "easy" way to lose weight (if there really is such a thing)! I've tried a lot of diets and exercise plans and nothing seems to work and so now I'm here trying this. I seem to be addicted to carbs. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. TTYL.

Replies

• andybear
    Options
    I'm new to this site. I just sort of stumbled upon it a few days ago cause I was looking for an "easy" way to lose weight (if there really is such a thing)! I've tried a lot of diets and exercise plans and nothing seems to work and so now I'm here trying this. I seem to be addicted to carbs. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. TTYL.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    welcome
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Remember it is not a diet. It is a lifestyle change:happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    andybear,

Welcome!

:devil: Carbs are evil, right?? I'm right there with you.

You can lose weight with this site. You definitely will need to re-think your carb addiction. I have the same problem. You'll have to limit your carbs to complex carbs ( you can research them online.) Once you start with carbs, it's really hard to stop. Get off sugar as soon as possible.

cm
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome Andy, carbs are definately a hard one. Try to change as many of your carbs to whole grains as you can. That may help curb some of your cravings, they will also keep you satisfied longer. I agree with cm on sugar. I don't personally suggest sugar substitutes but limit your sugar intake and corn syrup usage. Those seem to be closely connected to carb cravings.

We are glad you have joined.
    Eve
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!
  • Shreela
    Shreela Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Andy, I just joined too, and am hoping to lose about 50lbs (maybe a bit more), and am trying to stop my carb addiction too. I stopped all table sugar/honey over a month ago (except for a few days ago I was on a clear liquid diet for one day for a procedure). During that time, I cut back on starches and grains, but didn't stop them altogether until yesterday.

I haven't noticed any of those "carb cravings" I've heard about, but I'm eating lots of proteins, or maybe it's just that I haven't been off the quick carbs long enough yet :wink:

I'm also hoping to stop, or at least cut back my hypoglycemic episodes if I can kick the quick carbs. I might be diabetic too, but if so, it seems I'll probably be borderline. So in addition to weight loss for vanity:blushing: I'm hoping to avoid diabetes.

Good luck, maybe watching our daily logs will give us the mental support that will help us succeed.
  • andybear
    Options
    I just want to know what kind of proteins everyone is eating. I know I eat way too many carbs and would like to balance out with more protein, but what? I don't usually eat much meat. I do eat fish occasionally, so other than cottage cheese I'm not sure what else to add. Any suggestions?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what kind of proteins everyone is eating. I know I eat way too many carbs and would like to balance out with more protein, but what? I don't usually eat much meat. I do eat fish occasionally, so other than cottage cheese I'm not sure what else to add. Any suggestions?

Soy, including edamame which is my favorite veggie snack.
    All legumes - fabulous with all the fiber - but high in carbs
    Tuna (if you eat fish)
    Salmon
    Nuts - raw, no salt - also a lot of fat, so careful...
    Egg Starters or Egg Beaters
    Fat free organic growth-hormone-free milk and cheeses
    Almond Milk
    It is hard for me to get enough protein when I'm doing strength training, though. I set my goals at a point that only allows me to have 27g of fat. I always go over in fat. :frown: and usually over in carbs, too. :sad:

cm
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi Andy, glad to have you on board.:smile: cmriverside, I usually go over in carbs too but that hasn't seemed to stop both of us from losing weight, right? I think it's what kind of carbs you eat. I usually eat about 2 to 3 apples aday which boosts my carbs. But they are good carbs and apples have a lot of pectin which make you feel full longer. I will say the amount of fats I eat has dropped each month to the point where I don't mind whether I have them or not. So you see Andy, you can be over on stuff and still lose weight, we just tend to eat healthier and work out more. I really think learning portion sizes, eating healthier foods,doing cardio and strength training is definately made a difference to me. :tongue:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 20+ years, never had a problem getting enough protein. It's in everything. I get most of mine from:

skim milk (soy milk if you don't like cow milk)
    tofu in it's various forms: tofurky, boca, plain tofu, etc.
    low fat cheese
    quinoa, whole wheat pasta, or other grains

I really don't worry about getting enough or too much of most things. I try to keep my saturated fat in check, but rarely go over my alloted 16 grams a day. Wanna try something more difficult? Try tracking potassium. Unless you are fruit/veggie junkie, with a healthy serving of potatoes, it's not easy to do. Partially because most packaged foods do not list it. The point is, unless you're almost always lacking in something, chances are you'll get enough of it over all.

Best of luck!