Naive Me

Options
Lisah8969
Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
I just wanted to tell a little story of what happened to me this past Friday. About a month ago, I had gotten a messge on Facebook from a friend from college (I graduated 22 years ago) asking me for my phone number so we could catch up. Nice, I thought. We've been playing phone tag for a while and finally I was there to answer when she called Friday night. I had just gotten home and showered from a 4 mile race that I did so when she asked me how I was, I said "tired." She asked about my running and I ended up telling her that I had lost over 60 pounds in a little more than a year. Really, she says, I did, too! She asks me how I did it and I explained what MFP was and that all I did was change a little of what I like to eat to make it better and eat less of the bad stuff, but not cutting out anything or denying myself something if I really want it. She went on to explain that she was using this Advocare system. She tells me that every three months, she can do this 24 day challenge that starts with a 10 day cleanse (but not so bad you can't go to work, she tells me!) and she takes loads of their vitamins and this special water and shakes et cetera. Oh the water is so good it gives her extra energy and focus. There is a vitamin that has this special amino acid that as you are losing weight, it eats away at the fat in your stomach so you don't have any loose skin from dieting. Some of our conversation was actually catching up on our lives for the last 20+ years, but this diet stuff she was on just kept coming back into the conversation.

So yes, I am naive. I truly thought she just wanted to call and see how I was doing. It took a whole 40 minutes before I realized that she was trying to sell me this crap! Really? I looked this stuff up online and it's almost $200 for the 24 day thing that she is doing every 3 months. You would think that after hearing that I got the same results FOR FREE and with the ability to still eat what I want and NOT spend 10 days every 3 months running to the bathroom, she would have given up, but she didn't. I guess I don't blame her...she is trying to sell enough to win a trip to Florida. It just makes me so happy to have found MFP and the success that I have from it. I have a feeling that my results will last a whole lot longer than hers. I truly understand the need to want to "jump start" weight loss. I was there, too...many times. Slow and steady is how I am doing it now and this is the only time it has worked. I wish I could have conveyed to her that this was the better way.

Well after an hour, the battery in my cell phone died so I didn't have to really tell her "no" I am not buying your stuff. :laugh:

I love MFP and all the help and support I have gotten from it! You guys are awesome! :heart:

Replies

• bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and that doesn't make you naive that makes her a weirdo! lol
  • Lisah8969
    Options
    That's awesome and that doesn't make you naive that makes her a weirdo! lol

Thanks!! :drinker:
  • Kathymomof4
    Options
    I'm so glad your battery died!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You are WAY more patient than I am. I would have hung up on her after about 5 minutes...
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME. Are they brainwashing Advocare sellers?

I had an old friend send me an email saying how sympathetic she was for me because my fiance is still deployed and she knows what it feels like because her husband just got home and she just wanted to catch up. I was almost in tears it was so sweet. Then when I emailed her back she wouldn't stop talking about Advocare and how it's changed her life and if I know anyone who would like to try it...

blah blah blah.

I didn't answer. What's wrong with these people!?
  • BlestLiz
    BlestLiz Posts: 41
    Options
    When I first started reading, I thought you were going to say she was on MFP too and lost the weight that way too, ironic & cool. Sales Pitch = not cool, well played phone battery, well played!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You are WAY more patient than I am. I would have hung up on her after about 5 minutes...

Same! I would have been like 'look I'm doing this the RIGHT way, you can take your selling tactics elsewhere' and hung up the phone.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Pure. Awesomesauce.

Be patient with your body so that it will be patient with you.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you didn't fall into her sales pitch. But you are too nice, I probably would have just hung up and then said my battery died. :laugh:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Way to stay strong and not get it. And what perfect timing for your battery. LOL.

I know the feeling though. I have had a couple friends reconnect with me and talk to me almost every day for a week before I realized they wanted to sell me something. It's annoying. And I don't consider them my friends.

EDIT:

Also, congrats on your loss! it's inspirational because my goal is to lose weight without forcing myself to "give up" anything.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    How rude!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow... that sucks kind of like AMWAY back in the day... They would lure you in then lock the doors... and 2 hours later when they were not outlining a pyramid sceam you walked out dazed and confused 200 dollars lighter..and a poubd or so heavier (They had cake)...
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Any friend who tries to sell me anything quickly becomes an ex-friend!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how anyone is willing to give up real food in favour of these fads. Must really screw with your digestion and leave you with a cycle of binge and purge that will continue forever because it's not teaching you anything other than you must punish yourself for eating.
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    You gave her a whole hour? Patient lady!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You're so nice. I would have laughed at her.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have a facebook friend that ALWAYS messages me telling me about something he's doing... His online mall, Nutralite and today I got some sor of link to something in Dropbox... I'm going to have to tell him to stop spamming me!! Seriously!

Good for you staying polite! And congratulations on your success!!
  • Lisah8969
    Options
    I guess this is sort of the bad side to things like Facebook. I think someone wants to reconnect b/c they miss my sparkling personality and they really just want my money.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you and I have lost about the same amount of weight and I'm coming up on my one year anniversary as well. Congrats! I actually had a similar situation several years ago with an Amway rep. They are now doing a new diet thing with genetics and all that crap and several of the reps I know think I'm interested bc I've lost weight. I'm sorry but I'm not interested in fad diets, pills, or shortcuts. I'm doing this the right way! :-)
  • Lisah8969
    Options
    Wow... that sucks kind of like AMWAY back in the day... They would lure you in then lock the doors... and 2 hours later when they were not outlining a pyramid sceam you walked out dazed and confused 200 dollars lighter..and a poubd or so heavier (They had cake)...

Speaking of cake...they had some after my race Friday night! I looked for the piece with the most icing and loved every bite of it!!! Can't have that on a 24 day challenge! LOL!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!