Heavy lifting and TDEE-20 has stalled my weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    While I agree that measurable changes should be a sign of progress, some of us need to have BOTH (it's not "normal" for a 5'8" woman to weigh >200 lbs...). Stalling out is so demoralizing after a few weeks...especially if you haven't made much weight loss progress, and that's a big part of your goal. I'm in the same boat as he, but I'm only in my second month, so I'm not giving up, but I have signed myself up for the Tough Mudder in October and there is NO WAY I'll finish that thing at this weight. I need the pounds to come off so I can carry myself across those obstacles and 12 mile course. My / MFP calculations should have had me almost 20 lbs down by now. Instead, I'm 6...and holding. I've definitely change my mass around some (my lab coat buttoned all the way up today - even across the "girls" today) and I definitely AM a muscular woman (always have been), but GAWD this weight needs to drop!!!! ARGGGGG!
  • 64GT
    64GT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! I guess I'm not the only one who has found this sort of plateau. I think I know the scale is only one of a lot of ways to measure, but it is beckoning me every morning. Lately I have settled for flipping it off when it disappoints.
    For many years I have been in the gym through winter months and ignored it in the summer, gaining weight.

I want to stick with it into the summer this time. Would be a first. Already, this is the longest without missing workout days that I can ever remember (about 6 months).

A plateau is the perfect reason to throw in the towel, so am I ever glad all of you are there telling me what you have learned about this process.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    stop watching the scale. You said you're body is reacting to the weightlifting, so pay more attention to the inches you're losing. My weight has stayed the same for awhile, but I'm losing inches and getting definition. The number the scale gives you is not really the only way to look at your progress, and often a poor standard.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Also,
    If you're losing inches and getting stronger...YOU ARE NOT on a plateau.

If you're committed to lifting heavy (good for you) then accept that this is how it works.
    If not, find some smart people here to help you redesign your program.
    This group, for instance... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale and re-evaluate your goals. There are lots of men and women on here who do not fit into the "normal" BMI because they have more muscle. I have started a heavy weight routine and I am done with the scale. I plan on going by tape measurements and clothing size. When lifting heavy the scale and BMI charts become a very inaccurate measurement of progress.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I gained 10lbs in 4 weeks, but then my body started adjusted and i began to lose again. I did incorporate just a little bit more cardio into my routine, but my main focus was still heavy weights. I wear smaller clothes now than when i was doing all cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, heavy lifting will sculpt your body but it won't necessarily move the scale - you need cardio for that. If you want to see the scale move again, add cardio to your routine.

Not quite. A caloric deficit will move the scale, assuming you are not retaining more water than when you previously weighed yourself. Cardio has nothing to do with it except that with cardio you can eat more and achieve a deficit than if you didn't do any cardio.

Cardio is good for increasing endurance, as well as cardiovascular health, weight loss is mainly diet related (deficit) It is easy to each more extra cals than you burn than it is to burn those cals in the first place.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    measure body fat percentage with some calipers. Screw the scale. It's useless when lifting; just make sure your pants don't get tighter and you're fine.
    ^^ this!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are building muscle (growing bigger) then you are likely not eating < TDEE. Remember the calculators only return the TDEE for the average person with the stats you entered. It may or may not be your TDEE.

If it's true that muscle is built at a surplus and fat is lost at a deficit, which sounds like it fits your present diet?
  • 64GT
    Options
    Hard to say. I guess I'm just sort of in the ball park. By your description, if I was at a deficit, I couldn't continue on the 5x5 program because I would not be able to gain any more muscle and I would stall on weight lifting progression, which hasn't happened (yet).

I will keep at 2050 for another couple weeks and see how it goes. I have to say I feel quite good and quite strong.

:)
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem, so my scale now resides in the closet. I go by the numbers on the tape measure and the bar!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I guess I'm just sort of in the ball park. By your description, if I was at a deficit, I couldn't continue on the 5x5 program because I would not be able to gain any more muscle and I would stall on weight lifting progression, which hasn't happened (yet).

I will keep at 2050 for another couple weeks and see how it goes. I have to say I feel quite good and quite strong.

You can get stronger without building muscle. I'm not 100% convinced that you can't build muscle on a deficit, but that is the prevailing sentiment amongst the muscley folks on MFP.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You can get stronger without building muscle. I'm not 100% convinced that you can't build muscle on a deficit, but that is the prevailing sentiment amongst the muscley folks on MFP.

The prevailing sentiment is that you cannot build muscle on a deficit....unless you are

1. Brand new to weight lifting
    2. Very overweight
    3. Regaining muscle lost from inactivity for a time.

Most of these are for a very limited time which would apply to the OP since they have only been lifting 7 weeks..
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So progress was good at 1600 cal/day.

Now progress is stalled at around 2000 cal/day.

What to do?

Is it really that complicated?

Go back to 1600 cal/day.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why would you care about pounds when your body is shrinking and becoming stronger?
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem, so my scale now resides in the closet. I go by the numbers on the tape measure and the bar!

Nice. :)
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    measure body fat percentage with some calipers. Screw the scale. It's useless when lifting; just make sure your pants don't get tighter and you're fine.

This. Scale weight is all well and good, but it's not an accurate indicator of health or fitness. You're eating more, your waist is shrinking and you're not seeing weight loss? You're building muscle and feeding your body what it's been asking for strength and recovery! Forget lbs & kilos. You feel good and you are seeing changes. Don't sweat it!
  • 64GT
    Options
    Just back from the doc, where I was informed I "officially" lost exactly 15 pounds in 6 months!

He thinks the stronglifts is a great idea and doesn't seem to care if I lose any more weight or not.

Left his office and went to the gym, doing squats, shoulder press and deadlift.

Feeling great and trying to pay attention to everyone who has been so helpful on here today.