Food for People W/High BP

Options
Three months ago I was told by my DR that my BP is going up. He prescribed me Lisinopril, and it is working. Also he recommend me to cut Sodium, most likely to avoid eating out, reduce red met, increase fruits, vegetables consumption and a lil more physically active. I have done everything that he said. I was at 294 lbs and now down to 261 !!!! Using this app also was a great part of it. My goal is 242.

My challenge is home (wife and two growing, always hungrier boys); they eat all the things that I don't. I have been trying to work around their diet, but honestly, sometimes is frustrating. I understand them because the person with issues is me not them, buy yeah is really challenging. Any suggestions, word of wisdom or more ideas of type of food that I can eat without sacrificing the family?

Well Appreciated....

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you drink alcohol have no more than 2 a day as a male/1 for females. It puts mine through the roof. I thought being slim now it wouldn't but it does, wasn't just my weight it was wine.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure certainly has a genetic component but it also has a strong correlation to diet and exercise. I would really encourage you to make healthy eating and exercise a family affair. There shouldn't be two meals served. Your children should be eating lots of fruits and vegetables, less processed foods, and probably less meat.

We are looking at the first generation of children who will likely have shorter lives than their parents due to obesity and diseases like Type 2 diabetes. Healthy eating and exercise habits are one of the most loving and lasting gifts a parent can give their child.

I used to have borderline high BP but I lost 46 pounds, limit sodium to 1500 mg/day eat a boat load of potassium rich foods (like fruits and veggies) and engage in regular, HIIT cardio. My BP is now well within normal limits.

Good luck!
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you drink alcohol have no more than 2 a day as a male/1 for females. It puts mine through the roof. I thought being slim now it wouldn't but it does, wasn't just my weight it was wine.

THIS!!! and it is where the extra empty calories come from. Oh well, my weakness
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute - think about it. You say your family eats things that you aren't supposed to, but keep in mind that they also should be eating healthier to keep from getting high BP. A little here and there is not so bad though also. I have been on Lisinopril for 3 years. Good Luck!
  • Chetoporsiempre
    Options
    missjones: one of my goals is get away from the pills, thru dieting and exercising, is that possible? what is your experience in those 3 years?

thanks