Boston Marathon

Options
So I am from Mass and have every intention of running the marathon next year and would love to have people join me to show their support. If it can't be the Boston Marathon, maybe a Marathon in your area. I'd love to get a bunch of people together who will hold each other accountable, let me know if you're game for this... I need to run to support the great city of Boston. That was way too close to home yesterday and I need as much support as possible.

Thanks every one.

Replies

• tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a Marathon but I'm doing the 5/3 Riverbank Run here in almost a month if it's still going on. It's a huge race in Grand Rapids and last I heard they were trying to decide if they were still going to hold it. :grumble: It's sad that these people can take away so much from us by one senseless act.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just tuned into BBC.....The little boy that got killed had just watched his father cross the finish line...My heart goes out to this family..

Yes....Keep running and good on you!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So I am from Mass and have every intention of running the marathon next year and would love to have people join me to show their support. If it can't be the Boston Marathon, maybe a Marathon in your area. I'd love to get a bunch of people together who will hold each other accountable, let me know if you're game for this... I need to run to support the great city of Boston. That was way too close to home yesterday and I need as much support as possible.

Thanks every one.

I'm from Mass as well and I have every intention of running the Boston Marathon next year as scheduled. My goal is to run it and I WILL RUN IT! the person/people who did this will not take this away from ME!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Thanks every one.

I'm from Mass as well and I have every intention of running the Boston Marathon next year as scheduled. My goal is to run it and I WILL RUN IT! the person/people who did this will not take this away from ME!

Good for you! I think next year will be the 50 anniversary of the first woman who ran it as well.

Boston is too far away for me, but he LA one... Heck yeah.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am speechless about what happened yesterday. A few days ago, I signed up for the color run on june 1st. It makes it a little closer to home since its I will run across a finish line soon.
  • SPARTA1013
    SPARTA1013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The feeling of crossing the finish line is amazing! I haven't been running for long but I'm hooked and I want it SO BAD! Boston, here I come!!!!!!!!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A marathon is a bit over my level of readiness just yet, still haven't done a 5K. But I do plan to go out for a run tonight and send my thoughts to those affected.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have my BQ but didn't run this year...you can bet I'll be running next year. Clearly whoever did this has no idea how tenacious marathon runners (and spectators) really are.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I could never BQ for Boston, but I'm already signed up for a boatload of races this year, including ING Hartford Marathon on 10/12.
  • nataliecarter28
    nataliecarter28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Its been on my bucket list to run the boston marathon. I think next year is the year to do it. 12 months to train should be more than enough time, yeah?
    Let's be brave.
  • SPARTA1013
    SPARTA1013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Natalie! I think if you're going to do it at all, training all year long to do it next year is the perfect way to both remember the lives that were lost and not allow who ever it was that did this to take this away from us. Bostonians are too strong and resilient.
  • Today I ran 8km in honour of Martin Richard the 8 year old boy who was killed yesterday. It's far from a marathon but one way I can show my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Today I ran 8km in honour of Martin Richard the 8 year old boy who was killed yesterday. It's far from a marathon but one way I can show my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

I'm too old to run...But I'm with you in spirit.....
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there is no way on earth i could qualify for Boston, but i am running Toronto in May. go for it!
  • dianerml
    dianerml Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I want to run it next year in honor of all the people affected. Especially those who won't have the opportunity now. I think my best chance is to get on a charity team but I will probably try to get a qualifying time at the Baystate marathon. I've never ran a marathon before so I would appreciate encouragement too. Feel free to friend me.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    there is no way on earth i could qualify for Boston, but i am running Toronto in May. go for it!

Ditto! LOL!

I am doing two halfs this year...so put them together and BOOM! There's my marathon! :laugh:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i love the idea of doing a race in boston to honor the city and yesterdays' victims. i'm in no way shape or form ready for a marathon....even one that's a year away. i'd do a 5 or 10K though.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lived in Boston for a year, when I had a fellowship. In those days, people who had qualified with a time in a previous marathon ran with numbers, but about twice as many people just lined up behind them and ran the course. My brother and I did this.
    The mayor of Boston at the time used to run it. So, my brother heard that, and decided that everyone who lived in Boston simply rolled off their bar stool, once a year, and ran the race. My brother got me to commit.
    Turns out it is not that easy.
    But, the race itself is absolutely amazing.
    I remember that when the starting gun went off, there was a bit of a delay before we people in the back could get going. Then we started slowly as everyone was packed together. We picked up speed as the crowd spread out. And, then, at about 500 yards or so, all the runners darted off the course into the bushes.
    See, the race was early, and you gotta pee. But you cannot because you are nervous. Until you get moving, and get your blood going, then you cannot hold it in.
    I always felt bad for those people that lived at that spot along the course. Every year . . .
    Crowds line the entire course -- fairly dense crowds. And they cheer enthusiastically. Strangers pick out something about you or your attire and they shout encouragement: 'Go red shirt [or 'feather boa or whatever]. You're lookin good."
    The whole way.
    The mid-point of the race is in Wellesley, where Wellesley College is, and the entire student body seems to come out, and their cheers are deafening, just when you need it.
    Many people who live along the course set up a table and have water, or orange slices, or donuts, and stuff.
    I have never seen a race were people are so enthusiastic and hospitable. I think the race gave us one of the shiny blankets and a medallion when we finished, even though we were not registered.
    Training for a marathon is grueling, and boring. But I would do that one again.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I say we get them to drop the qualifiers and open it to all comers next year.

I'm in.

Let's get 250,000 runners!!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I say we get them to drop the qualifiers and open it to all comers next year.

I'm in.

Let's get 250,000 runners!!

...because I got no chance of qualifying, mind you...