Ladies - need some advice on bicycles

Options
I'm oping someone on here can help me. I would LOVE to purchase a bike to ride outdoors, but being obese makes it difficult to find one that will support me comfortably. I would like to be able to ride through the parks with my kids (mainly will be on paved trails). I realize I could go into a bike shop and ask for recommendations, but that is rather embarrassing. I was hoping to find some some of you who may gone through the same thing already and could recommend a good solid bike to start out on. Thanks!

Replies

• WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh 298 pounds. My advice? Get thee to a pro bike shop. They are professionals and they will fit you properly. I am on a 2-year-old Trek that I love. If you're not comfortable at one, go to another one. A bike is WELL worth the investment (MyHoney puts 12,000 miles a year on his!) and a good shop offers at least 1 free tune-up, plus they'll recheck the fit as you progress.

I know it's embarrassing. But you are doing this for you. And that's more important!!

eta: My first ride on my new bike is in my profile - we were at the Cleveland Zoo last year! So much fun!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at recumbent bikes or adult three wheelers. A good bike shop can fit you out (for a price, of course)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a semi - recumbent. It has a seat with a back and the pedals are in front of me instead of below. It's perfect for paved surfaces. It's very comfortable, too.

They no longer make my bike but I am sure they still have semi's.
  • cristina9980
    cristina9980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a local, smaller bike shop. Not a chain store. We have one that is 0.75 miles from our house. The owners have become our friends and everyone in there is so friendly. They have been super helpful with us. My husband and I have purchased our road bikes from them and recommended other friends there. We are looking at a bike for our son's 3rd birthday in June, and of course we will be buying it from them. We have found that the smaller, locally owned bike shops are easier to work with and much more knowledgeable than an associate at a large chain store. Talk to them about your concerns, I'm sure you won't be the first person in your situation they have helped and you won't be the last.

Good luck!!!