Female runners and safety

Options

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can get pepper spray at running stores that will just wrap around your hand.

If you will be running on trails, do it in the middle of the day when it is well lit. When it is dark, select well lit, busy sidewalked streets with businesses that you could go into if you need.

If you must wear headphones, wear just one so you can hear what is going on around you.

A phone is a good idea. I have a stretchy waist pack that an iPhone will fit into.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Or, you know - you could try running somewhere that you felt safe, instead. :huh:

Feeling safe does not equate to being safe.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Or, you know - you could try running somewhere that you felt safe, instead. :huh:

Because all that matters is the perception of safety, then everythings going to be ok. Nothing bad ever happens in the UK, for example.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I bring my black German Shepherd, and my phone. I always tell people where I am going and about how long I will be gone.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    swish_5.jpg
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just posted on FB this morning that she was jogging and a truck slowed down and was tracking her and this was aroudn 9 this morning.. she bolted 3 blocks and banged on someone's door. Run with bear mase, run with a knife, I would run with a gun (granted you have the correct permits and know how to use it).

Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have.

Stay safe.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I hit a trail I take my earphones out and I always tell someone at home where I'm going.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The reality is that any weapon you carry can be used against you. The person attacking you is more likely to know how to use it efficiently than you are.

Seriously, if you get a weapon GET TRAINING

Second this. You want to be so well trained that you drop them in one pop so you can RUN AWAY and get help. It should be an automatic reaction so that it helps you over come a freezing. If you haven't reached that level, be aware that you could put yourself in a world of danger.

I 100% agree with these posts. Make sure you are trained and comfortable before carrying a gun.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    Clearly, the solution to this problem is for someone to invent a portable, easily concealed gun that shoots big dogs at potential attackers. Bonus points if the dogs have bees in their mouths. Now...one of you good-with-their-hands brainboxes get on this, and we can all retire to the Bahamas!
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: I'm waaaaay more freaked out by the fact that people go running with guns on them than the fact that I go running with no weapons on me at all. I've dropped my keys and my phone by accident on runs before....what if you dropped your gun??? Accidents happen. Those shorts look like you can blow your butt cheek off.....:huh:
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Clearly, the solution to this problem is for someone to invent a portable, easily concealed gun that shoots big dogs at potential attackers. Bonus points if the dogs have bees in their mouths. Now...one of you good-with-their-hands brainboxes get on this, and we can all retire to the Bahamas!

BRILLIANT!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    People who are responsible gun owners with permits are rarely the ones you need to be concerned about. You wouldn't know the person with a permit was carrying if they didn't need it. I guess it depends on location. I'm a Californian but everyone in my family owns guns, and my friends as well. It's not a big deal as long as the owner is responsible.
  • aimeedavids13
    Options
    I recently read an article that said that the safest time for women to run is in the a.m. Goes along with the other response that most creeps sleep in. With that said, I also run with my German Shepherd and he is on alert at all times in the a.m.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Maybe I watch too much CSI and Criminal Minds, etc. but I think people are being far too cavalier about running and safety.

I agree. I hate the stupid jokes in these threads. A friend of mine was pulled off trail, raped, beaten and left for dead. That *kitten*'s not funny. These are serious questions, and some answers could save lives.

I did not even think about my pony tail being used against me. Glad I braved the stupid comments to keep reading.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run with a partner most days. I also carry a knife (as does my running partner). We also run on local trails that are somewhat busy and we're never out of sight of nearby traffic/other people.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest a slim S&W Bodyguard .380 or the ruger LCP both fine conceal carry weapons. Get professionally trained. You can only count on yourself.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually run trails without any particular weapons. When I bring my chocolate lab, however, he constitutes as a weapon :) I go by how I feel. there are several places where I do carry a small can of mace - realizing that the biggest dangers out there share the same genus and species as us.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Run with a large dog, pepper spray, and a gun.

My hero.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: I'm waaaaay more freaked out by the fact that people go running with guns on them than the fact that I go running with no weapons on me at all. I've dropped my keys and my phone by accident on runs before....what if you dropped your gun??? Accidents happen. Those shorts look like you can blow your butt cheek off.....:huh:

I've logged HUNDREDs of miles in the last year training for a marathon and triathlons. I've never dropped anything. you should get checked by a doctor for a brain tumor or carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    People who are responsible gun owners with permits are rarely the ones you need to be concerned about. You wouldn't know the person with a permit was carrying if they didn't need it. I guess it depends on location. I'm a Californian but everyone in my family owns guns, and my friends as well. It's not a big deal as long as the owner is responsible.

You guys own guns, in CA? How much paperwork did that take! ? :)