What to put on pasta?

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Lately my go to evening meal has been pasta. Usually 3 oz Angel Hair and veggies, sometimes some shrimp. Odd because I didn't used to like pasta. My carbs are usually low and I easily stay well under with this. Since I am making excellent progress with my BP I watch my sodium very carefully. If I have room I use 3 oz of a Light Alfredo sauce.

What do you all put on/in your pasta?

Thanks

Replies

• kirstyb393
    Options
    i like dry pasta's so i normally make lemon and garlic butters and use about 5-10g of it per portion

also a chilli butter etc
  • Pnutcashew
    Pnutcashew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually saute tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower with a little garlic and a small bit of olive oil. Then, toss veggies and some goat cheese ( one ounce a serving) with the pasta. It's really good and the goat cheese mimics a creamy sauce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Depends...I have an array of pastas I like, from basic red sauce to putanesca to bolognese. Sometimes I just do some olive oil and garlic...I actually like that one a lot with shrimp.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're an avocado fan, there are tons of great avocado cream sauce recipes out there for pasta - and they taste really good! Obviously avocado has lots of calories but it's a good fat so if I have the room I go for it :)
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    canned tomatoes, mixed herbs and a tin of tuna

or home-made lemon dressing or home-made pesto
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Lately my go to evening meal has been pasta. Usually 3 oz Angel Hair and veggies, sometimes some shrimp. Odd because I didn't used to like pasta. My carbs are usually low and I easily stay well under with this. Since I am making excellent progress with my BP I watch my sodium very carefully. If I have room I use 3 oz of a Light Alfredo sauce.

What do you all put on/in your pasta?

Thanks

I keep mine simple - a little bit of olive oil and some parmesan cheese
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    artichoke hearts/roasted red peppers/mushrooms with goat cheese and a little bit of parm and cream

evoo and lemon pepper with lots of veggies

veggies including black olives, a bit of prosciutto and some chopped up tomatoes with evoo

and even tho I get made fun of at work I love it with some veggies and cottage cheese
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    pureed butternut squash makes an excellent sauce...
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Pasta with homemade marinara, maybe some crumbled ground meat or meatballs.
    Pesto pasta with veggies.
    Shrimp pasta.
    However I experiment

I know it's weird, but I sometimes enjoy some pasta with chili over it. Chili isn't bad mixed with Mac and Cheese either. It's like a better version of those hamburger helpers.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i really love the flavor of pasta so i generally eat it plain but boiled in well salted water. maybe a drizzle of oil and a shave of parmesan or bottarga. yum!

i did see this recipe the other day that i plan to check out soon http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-fettucine-alfredo
  • sally414
    sally414 Posts: 51
    Options
    1 - diced tomatoes, balsamic, olive oil, garlic, onion

2 - pesto, roasted brussels sprouts, italian sausage (turkey)

3- butter, garlic, pepper, parmesan
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know it's weird, but I sometimes enjoy some pasta with chili over it. Chili isn't bad mixed with Mac and Cheese either. It's like a better version of those hamburger helpers.
    [/quote]

I need to try this!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I know it's weird, but I sometimes enjoy some pasta with chili over it.

that's not weird. where i grew up chili always has pasta in it.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I'm lazy, 1 TBSP light salad dressing, and add chopped onion, tomatos, dried basil & oregano.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    When I'm lazy, 1 TBSP light salad dressing, and add chopped onion, tomatos, dried basil & oregano.

Lazy, who on here is lazy? It's not like I choose angel hair pasta just because it cooks in only 3 minutes.

Ok, it is :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, so many things! Olive oil and lemon juice or garlic is good for a simple side. Mushroom sauce! I love mushrooms. Any number of tomato based sauces from marinara to a more salsa type sauce to a sort of jambalaya spicy sauce. Pesto made with a number of different herbs and greens. Chopped brussel sprouts and onions sauteed in olive oil (saw Giada do this and it is SO yummy!). Veggies tossed in a vinaigrette with some grated parmesan. Fajita seasoned steak, onions and peppers are delicious tossed with pasta. Finely chopped kale lightly sauteed in olive oil and garlic (I really like olive oil and garlic, it seems). Long noodle pasta like spaghetti angel hair is great in a stir fry.

The better question would be, what don't you put on pasta. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    pureed butternut squash makes an excellent sauce...

Mmm, I can't believe I never thought of that. With a little fresh thyme and black pepper. I'm so giving that a try very soon.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Thanks everybody. @ 45 yo I am fairly new to pasta, never used to like it.

Lots of great suggestions here!
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Usually I make spaghetti with turkey meat and put on a red sauce like Newman's or something. I also love the tomato vodka sauce and pesto. Lemon and butter are good too
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    I know it's weird, but I sometimes enjoy some pasta with chili over it.

that's not weird. where i grew up chili always has pasta in it.

It's Skyline time! Damn now I'm hungry for some chili.