Ladies - what to wear to swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    swim shorts will only shorten your legs. They don't really hide or cover a lot, except maybe your cheeks. ;) I like to think a full-coverage one piece looks more flattering or cute retro-style bathingsuit (50's inspired one pieces have been in lately). I don't know if this was mentioned, but I think Victoria's Secret has a shapewear line of bikinis for fuller figured women or anyone who wants a bathing suit that will streamline and suck things in a bit. Darker colors like navy and black are pretty flattering as well.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I recently joined a new gym near my house which has a pool and sauna. I haven't been swimming in three years which is mostly due to the fact that I feel self conscious.
    I want to start swimming Because I've been told it's a great excercise and will help for those days where I don't feel like running on a treadmill. However, I don't know what to wear! I wont feel comfortable in a normal bathing suit (one day hopefully) as I will feel too big. Should I wear swim shorts? Or would that look odd? I also found swimming leggings online but I don't want to feel like people are staring at me in the pool for being too covered lol.

Also, what to wear in the sauna?

Thanks in advance! :)
    20p94m1.jpg

24c7hoo.jpg

Edited to add: Keep the lines clean, simple and solid. You're very much a teen whose returning to a familiar environment ~ the pool; In no time at all, you'll be back with the same senses of comfiture and mobility in the water.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nothing better then BUCK NAKED!
  • 1crazysunshine
    Options
    Just where a one piece. Get a pair of swim shorts to throw on if you want too at first. People really aren't there to judge you though. You're the one judging yourself. Grab some confidence and head to the pool! :) The more stuff you throw on over your suite the more drag you're going to have which makes it actually a lot harder to swim. So really, a nice one piece (I recommend speedo highly) is the best way to go.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I would reccomend trying on a few different ones, tankini shorts and a long halterneck top can be much more flattering than aone piece for some people.
    Also though i have been overweight, my problem with swimwear is to do with extensove scarring to both legs, for years i used to wear leggings and a onepeice or a tankini top. Looked into 'modesty' swinwear alot - there is alot our there for those whose religions/cultural beliefs need to be covered up. I tied myself in knotts as to what i could wear to look better.
    In the end i decided if i wanted to wear leggings i would, but was aware that they were probably drawing as much, if not more attention.

Now i usially wear shorts/tankini, cover with a towel till I am near the pool then stand strait, walk tall and get in as confindently as I can as if I do not have a care in the world. Inside feeling very different the forst few times, but now i actually don't really care that much.
    As they say = Fake It to Make It!!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    If you want more coverage without the extra drag, try out some men's jammers over (or under, whatever.) a sport one-piece. I did that for a long time when I taught sailing to keep from sunburning the tops of my knees. We were in & out of the water all the time and I never had a problem with them. Ladies' swim shorts were always weirdly constricting of my movement and got pulled off with speed drag during lap swim.
  • projectthin1
    Options
    I will check out all the links posted. I think for now, it will probably be loner tankini shorts until I feel more comfortable and then try a swimsuit. It's just the fear of going the first time in years and feeling very self conscious, just how I started off at the gym but then felt very comfortable and didn't care about others looking at me.

Thank you so much for the replies! :)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I wear a two piece bathing suit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    U1AcZTe.jpg
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    In the water, I like a simple one-piece swimsuit the best (less drag). However, when I'm getting in and out of the pool and walking around, I feel the best in a swimdress. I have a really cute one that is so pretty that I feel pretty when I wear it.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I wear a bikini-the bottoms have a wider band on the hips (breeders hips and all)
    They make sports bra bikini tops and compression short type bottoms :)
    Try a few different styles!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    shorts are awful to swim in.
    if you want to exercise, I wouldn't recommend anything lose, and even a swim skirt would annoy me as it flutters against you with every stroke.
    I'd just go for a conservative one-piece suit.
    you can probably get one with slimming panels if you want.

you aren't really visible in the water, and wont be spending lots of time outside of it.
    so wear what is comfortable and help you swim better.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    U1AcZTe.jpg

did you steal that from the concealed carry thread this morning?

:laugh:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I will check out all the links posted. I think for now, it will probably be loner tankini shorts until I feel more comfortable and then try a swimsuit. It's just the fear of going the first time in years and feeling very self conscious, just how I started off at the gym but then felt very comfortable and didn't care about others looking at me.

just so you know, tankinis (especially longer looser ones) move a lot in the water.
    they also float up and expose your belly.
    so if you are like me and don't like the feel of your clothing floating up when actually trying to exercise, don;t get a tankini.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

just so you know, tankinis (especially longer looser ones) move a lot in the water.
    they also float up and expose your belly.
    so if you are like me and don't like the feel of your clothing floating up when actually trying to exercise, don;t get a tankini.

Mine have never done this. I had a nice tankini with shorts from Speedo.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread makes me want a new suit, so I wandered over to speedo's website and they have plus size fitness suits wit a body hugging skirt for a 'better workout' on there. It could be worth looking into if you are really hung up on a skirt.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I found a nice tankini + shorts combination on Amazon. The shorts are tight (like bicycle shorts), so they don't interfere with swimming at all. It's not the perfect suit nor is it expensive, but because I've been going down a dress size every month and a half I don't want to invest in an expensive suit (especially since it'll only last me a month or so).

Once I get down to my goal weight, I'm definitely going to invest in a more expensive suit that will survive me swimming 6 days a week.