Gout!

Wondering who gets it and what foods/drinks you eat/drink to ease the pain? Unfortunately mine is hereditary so drugs do work but if it decides to flare no amount of drugs can ease it.

What natural remedy do you use?

Replies

• MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    My brother-in-law and mother-in-law both have it. I know he has said that cherries are good for preventing flare ups or maybe even helping when they have one (I think)- they are a natural anti-inflamatory I believe. I also think they have said they have to stay away from red meat as it can cause flare ups. I am not sure what they do once they have a flare up, though, as it seems that they always end up bed ridden for a few days when it flares up bad. Hope you get some good feedback as I have heard this is a pretty horrible condition to deal with when there are flare ups. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • loulabelle73
    loulabelle73 Posts: 20 Member
    Found this article for you seems the cherry idea is right.

Gout is an arthritic condition caused by swelling of the joints that often strikes out of the blue and can be extremely painful.

However, the good news is that this is the only form of arthritis where there is clear medical evidence showing that a change in diet can result in significant benefits.
    The problem with purines
    "Gout is caused when crystals of uric acid – a natural waste product in the body – form in the joints," explains Kate Di Prima, spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia. "Food that contains high levels of purines produces more uric acid, so start by avoiding those if you suffer from gout."

She lists red meat, offal and sweetbreads, gravy, stock cubes and yeast extracts such as Vegemite on her no-go list. Some shellfish and certain fish such as herring, sardines, mackerel and anchovies are also high in purines, which are natural chemicals found in both plant and animal cells.

Unfortunately, these are also the oily fish containing omega-3 fats, found to reduce inflammation with some forms of arthritis. However, foods rich in omega-3 also include linseeds, linseed and canola oil, and walnuts.
    In the drink
    Excess consumption of alcohol (and especially beer) and binge drinking are linked to gout, so suffers should limit their alcohol intake to a standard drink a day, and preferably stick to wine. During an acute attack of gout, it is best to cut out alcohol altogether.

Coffee is more confusing. "Both regular and decaffeinated coffee may lower your uric acid level and reduce your overall risk of gout," says Kate Di Prima. "However, a sudden large intake may actually trigger an acute attack. If you choose to drink coffee, keep to a regular daily intake of no more than four cups."
    The good food
    While purine-rich foods and alcohol are to be avoided, some foods may actually be good for patients with gout. "A popular remedy is the cherry cure," says body+soul naturopath expert Mim Beim. "Cherries contain anthocyanidins which help lower uric acid. Eat a cup of cherries, either fresh or canned, each day. Strawberries and blueberries are also good."

She also says herbs that increase uric acid excretion include nettle leaf, gravel root, parsley, celery seed and birch. "Drinking herbal tisanes containing nettles helps rid the body of excess uric acid. And a juice made of two-thirds carrot, one-third celery and several sprigs of parsley may help relieve the inflammation during an attack."
    Alcohol, overeating, dieting and dehydration can trigger a gout attack," says Dr John Carnie, Victoria's Chief Health Officer. "Reduce excess body weight. Cut down on excessive alcohol consumption, drink plenty of water and avoid fructose, found in many soft drinks."

Overall, he says, gout suffers can take heart. "Healthy lifestyle choices combined with a correct treatment program should mean that gout can be successfully managed."
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    My boyfriend gets it, and it's AWFUL. He says it hurts to run a sheet across his foot. He tried natural remedies (the only one I can remember was apple cider vinegar) and they unfortunately did not work. He had to take prescription meds.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Nettle leaf tea is a folk remedy. I can't vouch for it's efficacy.
    Wear gloves to collect the nettle leaves (obviously). Boiling/drying them will remove the stings.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Look up a series of cookbooks called "the gout hater's cookbook", it's got info and receipes for people with gout. Got it for someone I know.