Healthy French Toast or Pancake Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    EASIEST RECIPE EVER annd super good(: Banana protein pancakes!! 1 Banana and 2 eggs. THAT'S IT. Seriously, that easy and they taste so natural and good! Give it a try(:

That sounds more like a banana omelette than a pancake.
  • Tattooz305
    Tattooz305 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for some Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes
    http://www.pointsplusdiet.com/listings/pumpkin-spice-protein-pancakes/
  • calimoma
    calimoma Posts: 64
    Options
    i make my son healthy french toast using light bread, egg whites seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg and light butter. he likes it!
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to get out of the norm on your thoughts of pancakes, I make myself oatmeal pancakes nearly every day. They are super filling and satisfying and have a good chunk of protein as well.

To make them I take one banana (any size but weigh or measure it or whatever for accurate calorie count. About 90-110 calorie ones are the best) and mash it up as much as possible.

I then add 1/3 cup egg whites or normal egg beaters (you can just do 2 eggs for more calories/fat), 1/2 cup rolled oats, and whatever else I want. Also, usually about a tablespoon of cinnamon to keep them from being bland. Most of the time I do 2 tablespoons of PB2 and 50 grams (about 1/3 of a cup) of blueberries. I then stir it up and cook them like pancakes (though they do take a few extra minutes).

They come out to 360ish calories with 63 carbs, 5 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein, and >250 mg of sodium. I stay full for hours afterwards and they taste great!

yuuuuuum
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I make my weekend treat pancakes out of:

1 egg
    1/3 cup cottage cheese
    1/3 cup quick oats
    a few dashes of cinnamon
    and 1/2 a packet of Splenda is optional

The oats can be as-is out of the canister or you can grind them a bit in a small food processor or something. Mix ingredients and spoon onto a non-stick skillet rubbed with a little butter. These are very healthy, high protein, and tasty. I use a tiny bit of real maple syrup on them.
  • barbd70
    barbd70 Posts: 35
    Options
    Lots of great ideas !
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can always try buckwheat pancakes. They aren't as low cal as some other options (ie oatmeal version), but I do not care for bananas and when I want pancakes, I prefer to make them from scratch. These are delicious w/ just a little real maple syrup (I'd rather have the calories than the chemicals of sugar free syrups) or sorgum molasses.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this but I was thinking: You could take sara lee's 45 calorie bread, soak it in eggbeaters and cook in olive oil spray. That would cut the calories out A LOT. But I'm not sure if the eggbeaters would work or not. A regular egg would, and just using the sara lee 45 calorie bread would save a lot of calories.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I make pancakes based on this recipe: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/08/skinny-pancakes/print/.

My favorite variation is for chocolate pancakes. I modify the recipe by substituting plain nonfat yogurt for the cottage cheese, I add 1 TBS flour (and I like to use Kamut flour), I add 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder, I add sweetener (I use Truvia baking blend for sweetener and use a total of 7 TSP with this variation), and I drop the cinnamon. I use a 1/8 cup to pour the batter as these pancakes are very thin. I drop 4 semi-sweet chocolate chips into the cup before I pour. They don't bubble much, but you can tell from the changes in color/texture when to flip them. They wind up being ~40-50 calories each.

For another lower calorie variation on the original recipe, I swap cereal in for the oats, drop the cinnamon, and wind up with ~25 calorie pancakes. I haven't got this one perfected yet though, as they really bubble too much.