PMS is KILLING my hard work. Advice???

Options
124»

Replies

• AmazingTech
    Options
    if I feel like eating during my TOM instead I decide to do something else to focus me, I know after wards I will regret eating a load of crap and feel worse so I do some running, do some shooting, do something to focus and then I tend feel better and if I still want to then I don't need to feel guilty because ive kind of earnt it
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try taking "Slow Fe Iron" the week before and into the week you have it. Iron deficiency really wreaks havoc on the inner junk food addict (for me anyways). Lots and LOTs and LOTS of water helps too.
  • angelicscars
    angelicscars Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is totally me! I can not control myself at this time and everything and anything goes in my mouth!

I have tried healthier food but it doesn't satisfy my desire to eat everything. For the last 2 months I have gained 3lbs during this week. Luckily i have managed to lose it the week after and still have a loss at the end of the month.

During this week I totally scrap any idea of losing weight and put myself to maintain to give me an extra 500 cals to work with. I also make myself go to the gym so I can some extra there. This month I am going to try planning in my binge and see how that works!
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can control my cravings and sometimes I can't. When I can't I eat what I want in little bits and than walk for hours to burn it off which helps with cramps sometimes too. Brushing your teeth is good too. Everything tastes disgusting after brushing them. Water is your friend.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've never had cravings just because of TOM. Is it even a real phenomenon?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    PMS isn't killing your hard work, you are. It's up to you to give in to cravings or not. You are in charge of what you put in your mouth... aren't you?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    LOL yes, it's a real phenomenon.

I've had a very busy month and haven't kept track of my "calendar." I've also been happily eating raw and having NO soda for weeks. Haven't missed it, haven't missed sweets. Today I passed by a small basket of Reese's peanut butter cups and had an uncontrollable and weird urge to buy them all. I didn't even understand why, since I haven't missed sweets at all. Also had an urge to order tons of diet soda with lunch today when I haven't had the urge to have any soda in weeks.

It wasn't until I noticed I was breaking out a little that I put two and two together. My PMS foods have always been chocolate and soda. I caved and had a slice of red velvet cake for dessert that put me over my calories for the day by 360 calories. Oh, well. It was fabulous and I feel okay about it. In the past, I would have eaten half the cake in one sitting and I rarely have dessert anymore, so no big. You have to be good to yourself and cut yourself a tiny little bit of slack here and there. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm going through this right now!!! All day I had to stop myself from driving to sonic. All I've wanted was a damn burger :( I did however stop myself from going and ate cereal instead...but hey it's better than a burger right....????
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Yes, definitely. There are lots of symptoms of PMS and side effects of a period. I don't get some, but I get others. So, for example, you don't get cravings, but you might have other symptoms that others don't. I don't get headaches, but others do.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For me and for a lot of people I've talked to about this, there are no substitutes. For me, if I'm having mindless overwhelming cravings for a Reese's peanut butter cup, a chocolate protein shake (or a handful of celery like I saw someone in another thread suggest!!! LOL!!) isn't gonna cut it. It's just one thing, though, not a habit. You have to focus on the big picture and the lifestyle changes you're making. For me, I'm compensating by exercising a little more, drinking more fluids, etc. And not weighing myself until next week.
  • JillMoto
    JillMoto Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all who responded. As a newbie, I was thrilled to have just lost 5 pounds and felt like crying when I woke up this morning to have gained 2 of them back. I knew I had pms, fought the cravings and although I did give in, I wasn't as bad as before, and continued to work out. I was very lethargic this weekend though, and like most others wrote, wanted to eat everything in sight and just watch tv.

For the person who asked if it was real, I wish I were you! It's not just coincidence every 23 days I pack on the food, cry for 2 days, and am totally irritable. Then again, maybe it's a conspiracy! The millions of us get together at our "monthly" club meeting and decide how we're going to control the world by driving our men crazy! Our president is Roseanne. :bigsmile:
  • Samsambuca0785
    Options
    I just drink a LOT of water...hot water water makes you feel full so I try drinking 2 mugs or drink green tea...I have nuts...dried cranberries to help with the craving for something sweet. In terms of working out I will work out at home during this time and I will do turbo fire or insanity so I don't have to leave the house to exercise.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate, peanut butter on pretzels, claussen pickles, olives, & rare red meat. i mostly crave meat with TOM. i buy deli sliced rare roast beef. its $10/lb so i allow for a couple bites am & pm.