Trying Raw...Drinking my Water...Why no WL?

Options
So I recently reached my Weight Watchers goal weight and am now a lifetime member and am maintaining at around 150. I would like to get down to 140 b/c my midsection is still rather squishy...not bad...but I would like to be able to lay down on my side in my bathing suit and not see the fat flowing to one side. So...I'm making sure I'm getting all my water in. I try to eat all meals except dinner mostly raw (Salads, fruit, smoothies, etc.) I'm limiting my diet soda intake and hope to get rid of it altogether. Also going to try to keep to one beer or glass of wine a day. And I work out on weekdays doing the elliptical and treadmill and some weight training and on the weekends I'm running around with my son, taking walks, cleaning, working on the house...etc. I'm working with the calorie counter on MFP as well as journaling my WW points. Does anyone see anything obvious I'm missing? I would really like to jump start things just for a little confidence boost, if anything! :)

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't see anything you are missing but I just wanted to say I'll join you in going raw - at least for a week ;)

I decided to drink 5 smoothies a day this week - until Friday just for fun. I bought soooo much produce and each smoothie has both vegetables and fruit. Its only 1100 calories right now at least what I've been making for today but it meets all carb, protein and fiber requirements. It’s high in sugars but its good sugars. Let’s see how I do as I've never even tried to go vegetarian before. I am including milk and occasionally yogurt b/c I don't want to take a multi-vitamin for calcium and vitamin D.

* I've never joined WW but I love the points, it’s all memorized in my head, its nuts! My day today is actually only 15 points but again, that’s expected when eliminating meat and almost all non-fruit carbohydrates (I used 3 tbsp quick oats in one smoothie for lunch)

Good luck!
  • kvoelz1
    kvoelz1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are going way more raw than me! I'll friend you and keep me posted on how it's going!
  • cb1039
    cb1039 Posts: 6
    Options
    If your looking to tighten the mid section, well honestly that is the hardest section to tighten as body fat loves to hang out in that area. I would suggest that you up ur cardio and and weight resistance routine for optimal cal burn. Also some fruits and veggies may actually create a bloat so I would research those and watch out for them. It does take time to eliminate body fat in the tummy but if you are persistant with ur workouts, u will see results. Have u considered working out with a trainer for a month. It is expensive, but well worth it!
  • kvoelz1
    Options
    Did not connect possible bloat to eating more raw fruits and veggies. I can't really afford a trainer right now but I'll up the cardio and the weight routine and see if that helps. Thanks for your help!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All I know is that the less you want to lose, the slower it seems to go. I would suggest persistance and it will work out eventually. ALso for Heathersmilez, something to add protein and calories to a smoothie is almonds, my bf makes a powder in a coffee grinder and you can add nuts to anything! We use raw organic nuts, it is so good!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I literally just finished reading an article in June's Shape issue called "Superfoods for flat abs." I try to do a lot of research, whether it's health/fitness magazines, online articles (like Web MD), or even books on different topics.

What I've come across is that you can do all the cardio and weight training you want, but the stomach area is all about your food and nutrition. You have to be eating the right types of food.

So here are 2 sources:

the above mentioned Shape article: (I'm just gonna list the foods and the sub title)

1. Avocado - fights fat (monounsaturated fats)
    2. Green Tea- revs metabolism (ECGC makes it easier to burn fat)
    3. Yogurt- flattens fast (probiotics fight bloating)
    4. Blueberries- fuel fitness (antioxidants help improve blood flow)
    5. Bulgar - shrinks fat cells (fiber)
    6. Chocolate milk - builds muscle (carbs & protein)

Next source:

The Abs Diet (David Zinczenko -- he's the "Eat this, not that" guy)

This is based on the Power 12

Almonds and other nuts
    Beans and legumes
    Spinach and other green vegetables

Dairy ( Fat free or low fat)
    Instant Oatmeal (unsweetened, unflavored)
    Eggs
    Turkey and other lean meats

Peanut butter
    Olive Oil
    Whole grain breads and cereals
    Extra protein (whey) powder
    Raspberries and other berries

I'd write more but I'm tired! Hope that's enough to steer you in the right direction!.

You look awesome and it's incredible what you've accomplished!
  • kvoelz1
    Options
    Thanks Lisa. I'm making a note of all of these foods and will try to incorporate. Maybe this will help!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You are welcome! Hope it helps. Keep us posted.

PS-- in the Abs Diet book, they mention adding flax seed to smoothies and other stuff to add extra fiber (for an added feeling of fullness) without adding too many extra calories. I've tried it in my smoothies and it's good. haven't tried it in yogurt but I did try it in my oatmeal. Wouldn't recommend it! Not only did I NOT like it, but it gave the oatmeal a weird consistency.... it was like it mutated or something.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    ...Also going to try to keep to one beer or glass of wine a day.

If you can change this to "once per week" you will have a much easier time. It worked for me cutting out that pointless sugar...

$0.02.