Looking for advice on low impact exercises

Options
I've recently started a self-made exercise program.I am not one to lift weights or use equipment.
I jog 1.5 miles at 5mph, and the do some leg exercises with a resistance band. Also a few basic core/butt exercises like crunches and leglifts. usually 40-50 reps each. I'm looking to address a target area. what I like to call "side butt" or saddle bags. Can anyone suggest a low impact exercise I can add to my routine to work on this area? I'm 5 '2' and 130lbs and have limited cardio strength.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The body decides where fat will be lost from - keep losing fat and eventually it will go from where you perceive to be your problem areas.

Exercise recommendations would be to improve the muscle under the fat by doing compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The body decides where fat will be lost from - keep losing fat and eventually it will go from where you perceive to be your problem areas.

Exercise recommendations would be to improve the muscle under the fat by doing compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts.

Yup, can't spot reduce. If you want to know a low impact exercise that works your whole body: Swimming.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    planks
  • AmyK2003
    AmyK2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, kettlebell workouts are also low impact but the various exercises that you can do with them work your whole body.
  • punxapassion
    Options
    I like to think I'm fairly fit in other regions,.. I am never able to lose the "side butt" though. Its a genetic curse!! I dont want to lose my real butt trying to lose my "side butt" if that makes sense,... haha. I'll definately try adding in some planks!
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    loads and loads of star jumps
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love my Rosemary Conley DVDs.

No, they won't spot reduce, but there are exercises which give you nice firm leg muscles which will help the overall shape. her "7-day slim down" includes a really good 20-min workout using a pole (standing leg exercises) and mat exercises (for core/abs) which I often pick for my "before breakfast" session, plus I have two of her others where you can "mix and match" different sections to make up your workout - so once you'd made your selection it plays the sections in the order you've chosen (and includes a warm-up and cool down). She uses a group of "real people" (i.e. people who have been to her classes) and there is always one doing the exercises in a gentle way as well as those doing the workouts at a moderate and vigorous level. And no, I'm not on commision! I've just used them and found they work.

I also love Zumba, but if you have limited cardio capacity it probably would not be suitable.
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Just listen to music and walk simple dont complicate it