36 F, Handicapped.. Am I doomed to 1200 a day?

Options
Please please be kind. I tried to read everything in the stickies and do some research, but I must be dim, for some of this is still lost on me. I may need it explained like I'm 5 years old.

I shattered my hip in a car accident years ago, and have gained weight steadily since, due to very limited movement and poor diet. I lost 30 pounds simply using the Keto diet, then stalled out for 5 months. Currently I am 5'5", and 189 pounds. MFP and the Scooby's link seemed to set me around 1200 for a 1.5-2 pound loss per week.

But what do I do about exercise? Losing the first 30 has definitely helped, but I am very very limited in the sort of exercise I can do that actually makes me sweat. I cannot run, nor can I do the elliptical machines (My hip doesn't have that sort of range). I can do some girl-style push ups, Squats (with a spotter) and loads of crunches. However, while those make me hurt in the muscles, they don't ever get me breaking a sweat. When I go out for walks, the pace is too slow to be considered cardio, I think. We have a stationary bike here, but I'm not sure that will take care of everything, since most of my weight seems to be focused on my upper half.

If I stay on the 1200 calories, will I see results if I just diet for now? I'm hoping the more I lose, the more easily I may be able to try and tackle new exercises, though any chance of heavy cardio is completely out.

Thanks for the help! xoxo

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough , you should not eat below your BMR. Please read through this and you will see. Remember Weight loss happens in the kitchen not the Gym.

Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out an indoor row machine?? Are you able to use those? That would definitely help you get some great cardio and work-up a big sweat.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Are you able to swim? That might be a good non-impact cardio for you. Also the stationary bike will burn calories regardless of where you carry the weight.

There is nothing wrong with setting your weight loss to 1lb a week and eating a little bit more. It isn't a race.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about the 1200 calories a day (or if it doesn't seem realistic,) then you could try only losing 1 pound per week to give yourself a little more to eat or more options of what to eat each day.

As far as exercise goes, cardio can be done from a sitting position or with limited movement as long as you can move your limbs! Keep doing the few things you can do as far as squats and girl push ups to work the muscles you can work, and then if you're having a particularly difficult time standing, do the arm part of jumping jacks for a while and get that heart rate going! If you can use the stationary bike then I absolutely recommend doing that as often as possible! Cardio is more about getting your heart pumping than it is about what particular body areas you're trying to lose from. You can't really control where you lose from anyway so get on that bike and ride ride ride! Do a limited number of things even, like start with as many crunches as you can do as fast as you can, then do a whole bunch of arm movements and try to turn it into a little aerobics workout. Whatever you can do to get your heart rate up is going to take you places. You can definitely reach your goal with what you're working with. :)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    any movement is better than none hunni, don't diss what you've already acheived :smile:
    Try swimming, its low impact but will change your body dramaticly. there a few bits of kit so you can focus on upper or lower body; a pull bouy that you place between your legs and then use your arms to swim, its also gives your legs a rest and makes you more streamline. also a kickboard, this will help build up your legs and is used in rehab swimming for people who have had hip and knee replacements
    give it a go and research any strengthening exercises you could also do in the pool.
    good luck and keep smiling xx
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your accident. Good on you for the first 30, you are a star.

I am not qualified to talk about the 1200 at all, but the obvious answer to the exercise problem to me seems to be swimming.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of success stories with people losing weight just by following MFP without exercise. Is it ideal NO, but it is possible.

What about water aerobics or just walking lengths in a pool as it will be kinder on your joints but still a good workout. also things like resistance bands are good you may be able to do light leg exercises.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't go fast enough to break a sweat, walking still burns calories--for a 150-pound person, about 100 calories a mile. and walking uphill definitely gives you a cardio workout (as well as burning more calories per distance). Swimming and rowing, as others mentioned, are terrific suggestions for you. dancing around the house to some music, obviously with some limited motion. walking in place in the house...marching, if your hip can handle that.

Best of luck to you. You have an additional challenge there, but you can definitely do it!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't go fast enough to break a sweat, walking still burns calories--for a 150-pound person, about 100 calories a mile. and walking uphill definitely gives you a cardio workout (as well as burning more calories per distance). Swimming and rowing, as others mentioned, are terrific suggestions for you. dancing around the house to some music, obviously with some limited motion. walking in place in the house...marching, if your hip can handle that.

Best of luck to you. You have an additional challenge there, but you can definitely do it!

Not rowing, I don't think. Lots of legs in rowing. Terrific cardio, though.

Oh, unless you set the resistance to very light, I suppose?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a bone disease and have had many orthopedic surgeries throughout my life. I actually wrote a blog about it last night because my knee is bothering me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Cait_Sidhe/view/a-brief-history-of-my-knee-519491

My point is, that no, you are not doomed to 1200 calories. Like you I thought the same thing when I first started. Walking burns calories. Swimming burns calories. Bicycling and elliptical burns calories. Lifting heavy weights burns calories. All of these are low impact exercises you can do right now. You can raise your TDEE (maintenance calories) doing them as well as burn calories, become fitter, and look better. I never thought I could exercise, it turns out I was wrong.

At 40 years old, technically disabled, 4' 10 1/2", my current TDEE is in the neighborhood of 2180 calories. I calculated this based on my current weightloss rate at the level I am eating at right now (1430 calories and I am losing ~1.5 lb/week) but the number http://fitnessfrog.com gave me is very close to what my math gave me. I plan on raising my calories about 100 per month until I am at maintenance, or more rapidly if I get to goal before then.

If I had continued to eat 1200 calories a day, there is no way my TDEE would be this high. By eating so low, you are dooming yourself to an even lower metabolism. If very overweight it's okay to eat a very low calorie diet. But if not, it can and will mess with your metabolism.

ETA: I have had surgery on my hip (as well as other joints). I walked with a cane for over a year. I speak from experience that not many people can.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a personal trainer? They might have some ideas for you :)
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    sounds like the smarter science of slim exercise regime would be perfect for you.
    It's a hiit workout that you would do on a bike.
    check out their website for more info (or their podcast)
  • donnalisa40
    Options
    If you are already walking, have you thought about Nordic walking? The use of the poles increases your arm movement which will raise your heart rate. If you are wanting to increase the intensity, this certainly helps!

Here's the UK centre with more info:

http://nordicwalking.co.uk/
  • MuteFox
    MuteFox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a bone disease and have had many orthopedic surgeries throughout my life. I actually wrote a blog about it last night because my knee is bothering me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Cait_Sidhe/view/a-brief-history-of-my-knee-519491 ....

If I had continued to eat 1200 calories a day, there is no way my TDEE would be this high. By eating so low, you are dooming yourself to an even lower metabolism. If very overweight it's okay to eat a very low calorie diet. But if not, it can and will mess with your metabolism.

ETA: I have had surgery on my hip (as well as other joints). I walked with a cane for over a year. I speak from experience that not many people can.

Thank you so much for your input! (And everyone elses!) I will up my calories and try to do the workouts I CAN do. My only concern is how do I log such things as just the arm parts of jumping jacks, and so on and so forth. :)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Exercise is by no means mandatory. You can create a calorie deficit without it.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike alone is still good cardio. I have fibromyalgia and have to have a very low impact workout. I wanted to try to rebuild some muscle in my upper body, and I am doing wall push ups since I also have bad knees. Maybe try those in your workout?
  • dreamypone
    Options
    I would agree on swimming, I really need to get back into that myself. I have scoliosis and bad knees and even my physical therapy stuff burns a bit over 100 calories in 30 minutes so everything you do will help. How good is your flexibility? Maybe a fat burning yoga or even hot yoga? Ball exercises are also helpful.

Also... Brohoof
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Exercise is by no means mandatory. You can create a calorie deficit without it.
    Of course she can, but her goal is to be able to eat a little more.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what Cait_Sidhe said.

you should look into getting an HRM, then you can just go by that reading and not have to guess it based on what mfp thinks for you.

Also shoot for a .5 to 1 lbs loss per week. you will be able to eat more that way! its not a race.