OK I'm ready to ditch 1200cal

Options
manda1978
manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
I've done 1200cal a day. Yes it worked for me. The 2kg I lost came back on as soon as I upped my calories. So back on 1200 a day I go. I'm tired, hungry, and I've realised that I always get sick when I go back on 1200 cal.

OK I'm ready to be educated. I"m sick of being hungry. Sick of being anxious (borderline OCD) about going over 1200cal. I work 50-60hrs a week and my training is down to twice a week, I really want to increase it back to 4-5 times a week but need the energy to do so.

Appreciate your thoughts and what has worked for you.

Replies

• NaDellR
    NaDellR Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it depends on what it is you're doing with your 1200 calories whether you're hungry all the time or not (and obviously how hard you are working/working out too.)

Here's the day I have planned for Wednesday:

Breakfast
    Egg - 1 Large, 2 egg
    Cheese - Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, 0.1 cup
    C&W - Pepper Strips, 1 cup
    217 calories

Lunch
    Kraft Salad Dressing - Classic Ranch Dressing, 2 Tbsp
    Mccormick Salad Toppings - Salad Toppers Crunchy, 1 tbsp
    Tomato - on the Vine - Chopped, Raw, 0.5 Cup (90 g)
    Dole Classic Iceberg Lettuce - Salad-Ice Berg Lettuce Mix With Carrots and Red Cabbage, 2 Cups
    Kroger - Large Hard Boiled Egg, 1 egg (50g)
    Add Food Quick Tools 233 calories

Dinner
    Cheese - Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, 0.15 cup
    Tomato - on the Vine - Chopped, Raw, 0.2 Cup (90 g)
    Wal-Mart - All Natural Lean Ground Beef - 93% Lean, 7% Fat, 1 oz.
    Taco Bell - Fat Free Refried Beans, 1/4 Cup (130g)
    Mccormick - Original Taco Seasoning Mix, 0.12 tsp (7g)
    Generic - Fresh Iceberg Lettuce - Leaf, 0.25 medium leaf
    Ortega - Yellow Corn Taco Shells - 25% Larger, 1 shells
    La Victoria - Whole Wheat Tortillas, 1 tortilla
    397 calories

Snacks
    Carrots - Baby, raw, 0.5 serving
    Laughing Cow - Light Garlic and Herb Cheese Wedge, 1 wedge
    Celery - Raw, 0.5 serving
    Orange - Large, Navel Orange, 1 orange
    Jolly Time Healthy Pop Crispy White Naturally Flavored - Popcorn, 1 container (13.8 cups poppeds ea.) 275
    413 calories

Totals 1,260 (I could easily eat less popcorn or skip the hard shell taco shell or something else and get it under 1200 calories.)
    Your Daily Goal 1,200

It just takes practice and watching portion sizes. I also really like to eat a sweet potato with margarine and salt and pepper for lunch and that keeps me going very well.

I have lost 43 pounds in the last year (or so) and have 13 more to go!

You can do it, but it sounds like you're quite stressed at your regular job. Plan out your day ahead of time so you have less chance of eating whatever sounds good.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    Excellent. All 1200 will do is slow your metabolism and make you cranky - imo it's not suitable for long term and sustainable weight loss.

What are your stats - age/weight/height?
    I would go to at least 1500 sedentary. Is your job active? If so you might want to add more. On workout days try going up to at least 1700.
    Have a look at this forum :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    What job do you do?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out this group? I think it's just what you need.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Excellent. All 1200 will do is slow your metabolism and make you cranky - imo it's not suitable for long term and sustainable weight loss.

What are your stats - age/weight/height?
    I would go to at least 1500 sedentary. Is your job active? If so you might want to add more. On workout days try going up to at least 1700.
    Have a look at this forum :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

^^^

I did the 1200 cal/day thing for a while... sure I initially lost weight, then I hit a major plateau, and boy was I cranky (my poor husband!).

I read a lot about what I should actually be eating based on my BMR and TDEE. Once I increased my caloric intake, the weight started to come off again! Even better, I'm not miserable!

There are plenty of sites that you can check out to get more information on your BMR and TDEE. Try focusing on hitting your daily macro nutrients (fat, carbs and protein) as well.
  • girlsjustwanna
    Options
    Ditch the 1200. You will kill your metabolism and your muscles will start to digest themselves after the workouts as they don't have anything to feed of!

Up your exercises to as many as you like but eat accordingly. After exercise have a protein shake to help your muscles recover quickly. Then eat a small meal half an hour after that combined protein and carbs. You will feel well in no time, build some muscle therefore look toned and still stay slim! You may gain some weight but it will be healthy weight as it will be lean muscle and not fat!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    SO proud of you for making this decision!

Learn how to eat the right amount for you...

READ this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

and

WATCH this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY

:flowerforyou:
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I recommend the 'eat more 2 weigh less' group and 'in place of road map.'
    Feeling great, eating well, and can workout hard.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Eating more is a big decision, but it's the right one! You'll never look back once you realise how much healthier and cheerful you feel. In place of a roadmap is a great guide, it really, really works! Stick with it, and when you find it is working, you can tweak things a little. If you have been eating 1200 for a while, your body may react for a few weeks once you change your eating habits, so don't worry if for a couple of weeks lbs are not melting off! Slow and steady wins the race. You can do it!!
  • jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I ditched it last week and am transitioning into more cals. I was at 1300 and it worked well at first, I felt great, and I thought often that I wasn't even getting hungry at that low level. I ate like a nutritionist's dream client, so no one can tell me I was doing 1200 "wrong." Lasted a couple of months, lost 11lbs or thereabouts, and then boom, plateau, hungry all. the. time, grumpy, worn out and struggling through work-outs.

I fiddled with the ipoarm/scoobie/cheat sheet calculations and was getting wildly different numbers so just decided to up my cals fairly gradually and just see what happens. Got it set at 1530/day and eating back about 2/3 of exercise cals. One week into this and I haven't lost OR gained, but the tape measure is still showing progress, so I'm pleased and think I will be upping it higher soon. I'm working out like a beast, so it's likely still too low... but I feel better already.

Good luck!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what it is you're doing with your 1200 calories whether you're hungry all the time or not (and obviously how hard you are working/working out too.)

I dont think it does....if you need more energy you need more energy....it doesn't matter if that energy is coming from lots of fresh healthy veg and lean meat....if its not enough its STILL not enough. Eating like that might keep you fuller longer, but it wont actually provide your body with any more energy if you get what Im saying.

OP eat more....work out our TDEE etc, and how much you should actually be eating, and then do it. 1200 calories is a guideline and a poor one at that.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You can do it, OP. I've never needed to eat 1200/day to lose weight, and never will. There is no way I could work out at all on that little food.

Check out some of the links posted in the thread!

Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started out on 1200 and now I'm up to 1452 which was worked out using BMR and TDEE calculators online.

Look them up.
    And read the In Place of a Road Map thread on here which explains it all.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I ve been eating 1200 for the first five days and intend to alternate between 1200 and 1600 ( to keep metabolism active) and eat my cals back on training days which are heavy weights with absolute minimal rest for the optimum 45 minutes. Not been hungry at all bar last night after a piece of chocolate cake and i wont be doing that again ! Its difficult to weigh myself as i drink well over ten cups of water a day and the body parts i train stay swolen for up to 3 days but having said that, first thing this morning i was suprised to get on the scales and see my start 84 kg drop to 82.5 so i need to start alternating cals tomorrow.
    ( i will be adjusting things as things progress to aim for 1.5Lb ish a week and am still eating roughly the 1g per lean mass to maintain muscle mass and the goal is 12% body fat then tweeking for proportion as i put on lean mass steadily)
  • manda1978
    Options
    Im 35yrs old.
    169cms or 5'6
    61.6kg or 135.8 pounds.

Goal weight is around 59kg or 130 pounds but I'm more about shape. I want to lose fat and tone.

I work in an office so fairly sedentry.

I'll check out those links and have a look at the eat more to lose weight group, thanks :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I dont think it does....if you need more energy you need more energy....it doesn't matter if that energy is coming from lots of fresh healthy veg and lean meat....if its not enough its STILL not enough. Eating like that might keep you fuller longer, but it wont actually provide your body with any more energy if you get what Im saying.

OP eat more....work out our TDEE etc, and how much you should actually be eating, and then do it. 1200 calories is a guideline and a poor one at that.

I agree with this response. 1200 calories of ANYTHING is simply not enough to fuel the vast majority of people out there, and especially not for those who are active and wanting to do more.

You're not doing 1200 calories wrong, OP. It's just not an appropriate amount of food for you.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You're not doing 1200 right.
  • manda1978
    Options
    You're not doing 1200 right.

Please DO NOT turn my topic into a 1200cal debate. I'm asking for alternatives to 1200cal a day, not to be told I'm doing it wrong. You don't know me, know what I'm eating or doing so do not pass judgement.

Gee some ppl p!ss me off.

Anyway moving on.

OK my BMR is around 1380. TDEE is around 2080. So according to another post I should take the difference (700), half that (350) and add to BMR so thats 1380 + 350 = 1730. Wow that seems like alot to me.

On training days do I eat my exercise calories on top of this too?
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you need to up your calories to your new goal, and eat them, let your body level out with this new amount of food and keep execising, ignore weight gain and keep going blindly, it sounds counter intuitive but it's the only wy to get out of the cycle

you do this in the knowledge that as long as you're still under your daily caloric requirement by 500 calories you'll be losing 1lb a week once your body has adjusted to the different amount of food