In need of holistic remedies for nausea

Options
Hi MFP friends,

Does anyone know of any holistic or "home" remedies for nausea?

Thanks,
Diane

Replies

• Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    peppermint helps tremendously
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Ginger is pretty good for settling your stomach. I slice some and steep it with tea, or just eat it straight if my tummy is upset.
  • LadyVeggie
    Options
    Acupuncture - not a home remedy though. It's been scientifically proven to help with nausea and nothing else.
  • jennebelle
    jennebelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ginger. Ginger tea, ginger ale, ginger snaps....
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Ginger anything - ginger root, ginger candies, ginger cookies
    Sea Bands - wristlets you can buy at the pharmacy - they are an accupressure tool that help with nausea
    Crackers - saltines

Feel better soon :)
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    GINGER!!!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Ginger... ginger ale or ginger chews are usually my "go to".

I have also heard that fresh green apples help, but have never tried it.
  • nettiemi
    nettiemi Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Diane,

Besides Ginger - in any form - there is a natural product you can find at Walgreens called Nauzene. I have used them for myself and my children. They work really well. Other than that, TIGAN, by Rx...

Here is a good link:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=nauzene+chewables&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=a2k7TNfVMpjrnQeovZ3ZAw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB8QrQQwAg

Good luck!
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work in the recovery room for surgery and see a lot of nausea. Sniff alcohol swabs or a cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol. I swear this works! I actually carry alcohol swabs now when I fly to help with motion sickness.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Agreed on ginger...on some people mint actually irritates the stomach for some reason but on some it works. Id brew a tea from ginger roots hope that helps:ohwell:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Ginger is pretty good for settling your stomach. I slice some and steep it with tea, or just eat it straight if my tummy is upset.

This!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    ginger/ginger ale, chamomille tea

good luck!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I've never bought ginger before, but I do see it with all the vegetables at the store. How long will it last in the fridge?
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks (after that it starts to get soft and shrively)... a little goes a long way, so buy a small chunk.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    You can freeze ginger and use it straight from the freezer.

Yogi Tea makes a digestive blend with ginger, lemongrass, pepper, and perrermint. I keep it handy just in case. Works like a charm everytime.

As for mint, if it irritates the tummy, smelling it works just as good. Try a drop of peppermint oil in a cotton ball.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    She beat me to the punch. Freeze it and then it grates like a breeze. I saw it on a cooking show awhile ago. I freeze mine right away, since I use it a lot in cooking. You can grate it, peel and all. But....for a tea, I would take the fresh ginger slice of a couple pieces and steep in hot water. If it is too strong tasting, add a little honey or agave. Apples have pectin, which is also good for tummies. My DH eats apples daily for his acid reflux (and takes apple cider vinegar-dilluted). Check out links for apple cider vinegar also, it is a miracle liquid :smile:
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I work in the recovery room for surgery and see a lot of nausea. Sniff alcohol swabs or a cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol. I swear this works! I actually carry alcohol swabs now when I fly to help with motion sickness.

That is an interesting suggestion. Maybe I will keep some alcohol wipes on hand to see if it really works.
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have two more:

Tea made from anise seeds. I go collect anise seeds near my house on the bluffs of the beach where it grows naturally, wait until the flowers dry up and it goes to seed. alternatively, you can buy anise seeds or anise tea (only get whole anise seeds) at a health food store.

Fill a little tea steeper with a spoonful, and steep in boiling hot water. Sip. Adjust amount of seeds for the strength desired. It's slighly liquorice flavored and has a pleasant aroma. I've sworn by this since childhood.

the second is, like the person who suggested sniffig alcohol swabs, I find that sniffing fresh cut lemon slices do the trick. That or sniffing spearmint, or spearmint gum. I've use both on flights with much success.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Feeling much better today!