Teen nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the "eats like a bird" comment for people with small appetites. Most birds eat their entire bodyweight in food every day.

As for the OP, it sounds like a total non-issue. Inventing a problem that isn't there.

Thanks, tiger.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is the "learned panic effect". I have a few friends who's parents over-controlled their diet (locks on refrigerators, taking them to weight watchers at the age of 12 despite the fact that the kid was a healthy weight, banning them from drinking any soda or eating cake EVER) who now have unhealthy relationships with food because they were exposed to "never get fat never get fat nvever get fat" from a young age. One of them is a recovering anorexic, the other two are obese.

I admit that I also have a very weird perception of food partially because my mother obsessed about her weight throughout my childhood. Basically, "food is bad but it tastes so good.... NO! HAVE SELF CONTROL! SELF CONTROL IS EVERYTHING."

That interior monologue is just a killer for your self worth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is lead by example don't lead with an iron fist.

Don't log your kids calories. That is a little too obsessive in my opinion and can only lead you to be upset when he goes over or under. Logging calories is your thing, not his.

Do feed him a wide variety of healthy food: fish, lightly marinated chicken, etc and tons of veggies.

My brother, fiance and cousin were all grossly underweight at 13 and have all filled out by 21. Don't worry too much, but perhaps checking in with him and saying "I just want to be sure you're getting the right food to eat. Have you had a veggie today?"

Remember, the key is to NOT go crazy and helicopter your child. The more you freak the more they'll learn that behavior and emulate it themselves.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My husband was a beanpole as a teen. Long lanky legs...skinny as anything.When he left school at 16 (UK schools) he started working on the farm doing manual labor. His appetite increased and he filled right out. I wouldn't worry too much...he's growing and changing. If you're concerned then take him to the doctor.

BTW, pediasure is a nutritional supplement drink for children. My niece used to take them when she was having a tummy issue. The doctor prescribed them to her.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    BTW, pediasure is a nutritional supplement drink for children. My niece used to take them when she was having a tummy issue. The doctor prescribed them to her.

I was going to suggest that too. One of my friends drinks "ensure" a high calorie high vitamin drink meant for old people who are having trouble gaining weight. I'd check in with a doctor who is boarded in diet and ask if this is a good idea for your son.

Chances are he'll be fine.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was always slightly underweight at his age (I'm only just 19 so it wasn't that long ago) but to be honest it never really did me any harm. As long as he isn't ill because of his weight and/or diet or showing signs of an ED I'd just keep feeding him a healthy diet and let him eat as much as he needs until he is full. Your research may have told you that he needs 2100 calories but that will be an average, not specific for your son. He's most likely eating as much as his body tells him to and as he grows he will continue to eat differing amounts until he hits on what he needs as a fully grown adult with his activity level. Having said that, putting full fat milk in the fridge for him to use won't harm him, my Mum did the same thing at one point with me.

Thanks, locke. Your point about 2100 being an average is well made. Whatever food he wants is there for him, as it is for his brother and sister who are not sticks.

Your Mum is not a member in need of a friend, by any chance?

No worries. :) She isn't no.
    I also second part of what crimsoncat said. There is always a full fruit bowl around my house (except maybe the day before shopping day.) full of fruit that my Mum knows everyone likes and fruit is always suggested first as a dessert idea. Worry less about how much your sons eating and more about gently encouraging him to eat the right stuff, that will have more benefit to him in the long run.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    My husband was a beanpole as a teen. Long lanky legs...skinny as anything.When he left school at 16 (UK schools) he started working on the farm doing manual labor. His appetite increased and he filled right out. I wouldn't worry too much...he's growing and changing. If you're concerned then take him to the doctor.

Ha, thanks, beech, re the pediasure.

At this point I am not freaking out, I am just looking for some calorie ideas that the spring onion will not reject.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    One other thing to consider is the "learned panic effect". I have a few friends who's parents over-controlled their diet (locks on refrigerators, taking them to weight watchers at the age of 12 despite the fact that the kid was a healthy weight, banning them from drinking any soda or eating cake EVER) who now have unhealthy relationships with food because they were exposed to "never get fat never get fat nvever get fat" from a young age. One of them is a recovering anorexic, the other two are obese.

I admit that I also have a very weird perception of food partially because my mother obsessed about her weight throughout my childhood. Basically, "food is bad but it tastes so good.... NO! HAVE SELF CONTROL! SELF CONTROL IS EVERYTHING."

Don't log your kids calories. That is a little too obsessive in my opinion and can only lead you to be upset when he goes over or under. Logging calories is your thing, not his.

Do feed him a wide variety of healthy food: fish, lightly marinated chicken, etc and tons of veggies.

My brother, fiance and cousin were all grossly underweight at 13 and have all filled out by 21. Don't worry too much, but perhaps checking in with him and saying "I just want to be sure you're getting the right food to eat. Have you had a veggie today?"

Remember, the key is to NOT go crazy and helicopter your child. The more you freak the more they'll learn that behavior and emulate it themselves.

Thanks, cat. What do you have against beef, though!! Joking.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    At 13 his appetite will wax and wane as his body grows in fits and spurts. Give him food that is healthy and nutritious, and don't worry if he doesn't eat what you think is enough of it - when his body needs it he will get hungry and eat. Unless you think his lack of eating is a true eating disorder then don't worry about it. If you want to stimulate his appetite encourage him in physical activity, that will make him hungry.

I missed you, believer, sorry.

I know what you say is true - feed him whatever he wants of the healthy choices you provide, and he will be the size he is supposed to be..

I am just freaking out with how skinny he is! A gust of wind would blow him away.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Unless he is unhealthy, or avoiding food for unhealthy reasons, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids are different, and he will go through many shape changes before he's an adult.

Pressurising him to eat more when he doesn't want to (if that's what you do) will just spark an unhealthy relationship with food anyway, so you are better off just letting him eat when he is hungry, and helping him make healthy choices.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I have a thin child, he'll be 8 next month and weighs MAYBE 60lbs. He's tall and is pretty much all muscle. He's a strong kid, and always had been. At 18 months, he walked over to a table, grabbed the end and pulled himself up to look lol My friend called him the teeny hulk haha

He has texture aversions to a lot of things, and he HATES cheese, so I just feed him healthy things that I know he will eat, and then in between meals, he'll have snacks when he's hungry. I doubt that he's getting up to his caloric goals, but I'm not logging his foods so it's hard to tell.

Feed him when he's hungry, and if you have concerns, take him to a doctor!
  • emergencytennis
    Options

I think I may have missed your post, sorry.

My problem is not that I need to lock up the fridge. My kid is skinny. I don't need to ask if he has eaten a vegetable, I want to know if he has eaten the best part of a sheep. And, if he hasn't I want to provide him the chutney to help him choke it down.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. im not sure why we are not on the same page. we both would like our very skinny 13yo boys to eat and gain weight not lose it. ensure or pedisure was suggested by a pediatrician, its a nutritional drink given to those who are having trouble getting enough calories into their day. wholemeal pasta and bread is calorie dense and good for our growing boys to use for energy. Protein is also needed by their growing bodies. You suggested that your son chase down a sheep and eat it. thats protein. i did not suggest that we start them on protein shakes. Anyway i will continue to offer my son healthy choices and hope that one day he grows into his frame.
  • chutch93
    chutch93 Posts: 9
    Options
    i find it funny that you randomly have avocado wedged in that list of normal foods. lol