Zumba calories?

Options
MFP gives me 400 calories for an hour of Zumba. (well the closest I can find is 'dangling aerobic and modern') Zumba teacher says it is 750 - 850 an hour. We really go it in our class and don't stop...what do you think? Zumba addicts, how many calories do you give yourself? Why can't MFP have a Zumba category?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cos aerobic dangling is much more fun!

Seriously, it depends on your own weight, and how much effort you put into it, so results will vary.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Cos aerobic dangling is much more fun!
    Lol I agree, dangling is fantastic.
    Try this page, it goes by weight, intensity and time.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • proboho
    proboho Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA !

yes dangling is my favorite too (early morning posting!)
  • proboho
    Options
    PS..thanks it gives me 753 for an hour..
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    That must be an hour high intensity. I was really peeved this week that I got fewer calories "credit" - then I realised it was because I weighed less so that made up for it (a bit....)

I saved Zumba as an exercise, not sure why it doesn't make it available to everyone in the same way food entries are.
  • julyssas
    julyssas Posts: 22
    Options
    I want to start doing Zumba but I don't know how to log it in MFP. Should I then do it as aerobics dangling?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No matter how many calories are actually burned doing Zumba it doesn't equal to the amount of shame eating one must consume after the realisation they spent an hour of their life looking like this.

dancingmen_zpsbb3899a1.gif
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor if you want an accurate count.
  • mrsjlmann
    mrsjlmann Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I logged zumba as belly dancing. It gave me 637 calories for 1 hour
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

I find this website is fine unless you're really obsessive about every little calorie in or out - I have gone with MFP values for exercise and its worked for me. As Zumba is not on there, work out your calories using the website then add zumba as a "new exercise"
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM. In an average class (anywhere from 50-58 minutes), I burn between 475-525 calories. It all depends on your weight, intensity level, fitness level, etc. I think the HRM gives you the best estimate.
  • proboho
    Options
    LOL!!
  • proboho
    Options
    Thanks all
    I have now added it as an exercise and put int down as 650 for an hour, which seems to fit with your belly dancing and the site recommended which said 750. ...don't want to overegg it as I try to eat back my calories and have to be forensic about it in order to stick to it...but that's me.
  • SlimT05
    SlimT05 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use my calorie watch/monitor for Zumba, because I found MFP to be inaccurate. I am usually between 600 - 700 calories per hour for class.
  • maisid
    maisid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba twice a week and I tend to burn between 500 and 600 calories an hour. BUT - I weigh 220 lbs AND I have an average heartrate of 140 a min. My highest was 169 in class and I thought I was going to have a heartattack.

I also know that; including my trainer, I am the one burning the most in our class. Most in my class burn around 300-400 a class. So the numbers you are getting from MFP are totally exaggerated.
  • chodgi06
    chodgi06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When i first started doing Zumba, was at my heaviest and most out-of-shape, and was burning over 700 calories per class. Every month or so, as i was dropping weight, and gaining cardio fitness, my calories burned dropped until i was averaging like 500 calories per class when i was 20 lbs down. That includes doing the high-impact modified moves and really working out hard.
  • chodgi06
    chodgi06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    FYI, my calories burns are from using my Garmin heart rate monitor/chest strap. I was keeping my HR up near 160 easily in the early classes, and maxing out over 180 at times (had to take a breather there). By a few months in i was struggling to average the 160 because i couldn't keep my heartrate up that high and was working more efficiently i suppose.
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    I use MFP "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" for my Zumba classes. I plan on getting a heart rate monitor but haven't yet. A few girls wear one during class and they do burn about 700 calories a class and they are average fitness level. The MFP selection above only gives you about 460 calories/per hour, which I like because at least it will underestimate the amount.
  • thenewkayla08
    thenewkayla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only way to really know is to use an HRM :)

I usually burn about 300 calories per 30 mins and weigh 320...if that helps you :)

But yes it always depends on your weight and just how much you are kicking it. For me I work hard but I can't do all the moves exactly but I push as hard as I can.
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    I log it as 'aerobics - high intensity'. It gives me about 450 calories for 40 mins, which seems about right.