What am I doing wrong? Help!

Options
I am a yo-yo dieter. I go up and down every year. So, this is my story and I welcome any input or advice.

Every year I always gain weight during the fall/winter months (because I don't track my calories and I stop exercising - my fault - I stress eat because I am a teacher and that is the way I cope), and around March I begin eating and exercising to lose the weight because I feel awful about myself and I want to get back in the clothes I have in my closet that I can't wear anymore. I seem to do this every year :( As soon as it gets warm and the sun is shining I get motivated to get back on track.

So, when I have done this in the past I usually lose 5 pounds within the first 2 weeks, then I taper off and lose 1-2 pounds a week. Well, not this time. I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day and even exercised 5 days last week. Since I have started doing this (almost a month) I have lost nothing! Actually I go up and down a pound every week.

People say don't worry about the number, but how you feel and how your clothes fit. No Way!!! The number really needs to go down. I am overweight and my BMI is too high.

So, after doing this for a month and no weight loss should I get my thyroid checked? Should l give it more time since I am almost 40 and it gets harder to lose? At this point I really want to lose weight, and just need someone to tell me what to eat, when to eat, and what exercise I should be doing. I really wanted to lose 25 pounds by June, but don't know how to accomplish it. HELP!!!!!

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day and even exercised 5 days last week.

Well, there's your problem.
  • jvl1973
    jvl1973 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1500-1700 before and no weight loss and was told I was eating too much. So I reduced it to 1200-1400. I am confused!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day and even exercised 5 days last week.

Well, there's your problem.

Second.
  • BacktoTee
    BacktoTee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Could you elaborate on how this is a problem? It may help my efforts. Thanks!
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Being 40+ is definitely a factor. It's entirely possible that, after so many years of yo-yo dieting, you've programmed your body to expect it, and now it is. Despite the exercise, your body could currently be in "starvation mode," and is refusing to give up any of the fat/calories because this has become the routine. Constant gaining and losing is also hard on your body, so you're compensating. I would maintain what you're doing for a little while, rather than forking over money for expensive bloodwork. That's just me and my cruddy insurance plan, though. BELIEVE ME, I'm right there with you. I'm an insurance agent, and 4th quarter is our busy time (annual enrollment), so I do the same thing. I've been struggling to get back in the mindset of weight loss. I think I'm there, or nearly there, but I need to NOT get off track anymore.
  • jvl1973
    Options
    Also - I drink plenty of water every day (plain water and propel zero). I drink 1 diet soda every other day.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Id say its time to shake up the work outs and diet, if you usually have a small breakfast and big lunch switch them up. If you usually do cardio in the morning and weight training in the evening switch them. You have to trick your body and jumpstart it again..

just my 2c

and by the way to the poster above.. I eat 1200-1400 and go to the gym 6 days a week and dont seem to have a "problem" loosing.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    In my experience losing weight the healthy way takes longer BUT remember if you do it right it's forever. Don't give up, be patient. It will come but you have to work for it. You can do it!
  • tricksee
    Options
    Could you elaborate on how this is a problem? It may help my efforts. Thanks!

Eating 1200 calories or less per day over a prolonged period of time will repress your metabolism to the point were you cannot burn fat without starvation.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the weight. When you start working out you are going to add weight because you are building muscle. Get a scale that can calculate body fat % and worry about that, but don't freak when it fluctuates. BMI is a horrible calculation to watch. Body fat % calculated by isometric resistance isn't consistent and drinking a lot of water can throw it off a couple of points, but its much better than watching weight and BMI.
  • shackamax
    shackamax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    [deleted]
  • katpfa
    katpfa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I have lost 100 pounds and yes gained some back. As woman we need to make sure we get in enough pure protein every day and drink a lot of water. I drink 84 ounces of water a day and get 125 grams of protein in a day. I have had great results with this and make sure your sugar intake isn't to high in a day.

I hope this helps...
  • jvl1973
    Options
    Also, this time I started exercising and eating lower calories at the same time. In the past I did not start exercising until after I lost 20-25 pounds. I feel like concentrating only on my diet worked better for me, but I know that makes no sense. I need both exercise and a better diet.
  • katpfa
    katpfa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% ...Change your workouts...
  • BacktoTee
    BacktoTee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! for the info. I lowered my calorie intake last week to 1200 calories a day. I planned to do for a couple of weeks. I also workout. I have had a little success. But, it sounds like the success won't last long so I should increase my calorie intake.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The yo-yo dieting has probably wrecked your metabolism. Stick to eating 1500-1700 NET calories. If you've only been doing this for a month and reduced your calories to 1200-1400 then you didn't give it enough time. You didn't put this weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight either. It's much healthier and you're more likely to keep it off when you lose it slowly. What you really need to do is make a lifestyle change and get off the yo-yo dieting wagon. Gaining and losing weight over and over again puts a lot of stress on your body. Good luck.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Thanks! for the info. I lowered my calorie intake last week to 1200 calories a day. I planned to do for a couple of weeks. I also workout. I have had a little success. But, it sounds like the success won't last long so I should increase my calorie intake.

Bingo. Good luck. :-)
  • 2eatcake
    2eatcake Posts: 11
    Options
    40 was my year to start the upward climb on the scale...I will be 60 this month, just started The Fast Metabolism Diet, I'm on day 3 and have lost 3lbs. This is supposed to reprogram your broken metabolism. I suggest taking a look at the book, written by a nutritionist with a proven track record. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open. Contrary to what many people will say here, for most of us, WHAT you eat does matter.

My best advice that I could give is that you need to find a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain year round, all the time. Going up and down damages health more than just staying over-weight all the time. True story. Been there, did that.

I still have 30+ pounds to lose and I only lost 1.2 pounds in the last month. Oh well. It just means I have to increase my fat and lower my carbs and do more strength training. I also increased my calories because 1500 may not have been enough and if the body thinks it's starving, metabolism will slow down. I have a metabolic disorder from years of doing exactly what you are doing and the only way to repair the damage has been to drastically change my lifestyle permanently.

Honestly, I LOVE eating healthy high fat food and becoming well and losing weight without struggling with hunger. However, for me, my dietary changes are a permanent thing now, not once per year.

Edit: someone below advises you to eat low fat. That is the worst possible advice, but certainly the most common advice seen on MFP. Most of us need MORE healthy fat, especially if there are metabolic issues. And basically, anyone that is fat has metabolic issues. Although I do agree with avoiding processed foods and restaurants absolutely.
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The yo-yo dieting has probably wrecked your metabolism. Stick to eating 1500-1700 NET calories. If you've only been doing this for a month and reduced your calories to 1200-1400 then you didn't give it enough time. You didn't put this weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight either. It's much healthier and you're more likely to keep it off when you lose it slowly. What you really need to do is make a lifestyle change and get off the yo-yo dieting wagon. Gaining and losing weight over and over again puts a lot of stress on your body. Good luck.

Agree 100% your metabolism is probably all over the place....you need to just stick it out until it regulates itself. Stop Dieting and just live a healthly lifestyle, a little goes a long way trus me....it will eventually work in your favor and lbs will come off. my progress is super slow but it's coming off none the less!

All the best!