Mad At Myself

Options
I am soo mad at myself right now...

I've been so good all month with working out like I'm supposed to - but the past two days I've ended up having to stay slightly later at work & then with traffic I get home and have lost all motivation to work out. Dinner is ready - usually when I get home it's cooking - so it's like I end up eating dinner & there is no way I ever work out after I've eaten...I just cant do it. It hurts my stomach unless it's been several hours afterwards & by that point it's time to go to bed!

So then I told myself I'd get up early in the morning and workout to make up for the workout's I've missed & so I set my alarm - and low & behold I've hit the snooze button 3 or more times before I even realize I've done it. I like sleep walk to hit snooze & I don't even remember doing it.

I am definitely going to make up for the workouts still, I'm just mad that I let myself get off track when I've been doing so well the whole month.

I'm trying really hard to make this a lifestyle change, so I know it takes time. I'm just irritated I could get off track so easily.

rant over lol

Replies

• readysetgo33
    readysetgo33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey annamc18!

I know exactly how you feel! Everyone has a set back once in a while, but trust me don't get too discouraged, you sound determined enough to make a schedule that works! My hours at work are never consistent. I tried waking up super early to get to the gym, but it was too much effort spent on waking up than effort spent on the workout. I tried to make every 5:30pm class my gym offered, but again work can keep me late and I would be so bummed I just wouldn't go.

Every single day I pack a snack, lunch, dinner, and whey protein in a bottle for after my workout, gym clothes and shoes (if I'm not already wearing them) so that way I can go after work- no excuses! I've settled with the idea that if I don't make the class I better bust out my own workout! At first I would feel too tired after work but nothing a cup of coffee prior to leaving couldn't help with! It's a pain in the butt carrying a backpack with books and a reusable bag full of food and clothes but if I don't do it I just won't go exercise. Plus, now I'm so used to it, it's easy and I sleep great!

You got this! Get back at it!
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank You!

Pep talks are the best lol

...and looking at Success Stories always gets me motivated, so that's what I'm doing now!

I know I can do it - I just can't let it happen so easily again! :bigsmile:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    A couple of days won't unravel this thing you're doing. It does sound, however, like your current plans might not be easy to make into a routine. You're on the right track with thinking about finding a routine that won't be interrupted by late nights at work. I asked a question several months ago because I had a similar problem, and I HATED waking up early. This is what I asked, and six pages of AWESOME responses: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819446-how-do-you-wake-up-early-for-exercise
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating, but it's just a bump in the road. Make sure you take the steps you need to get back on track right away, and then use this as a learning opportunity. Work out ways to prevent it happening again. I've been logging on MFP over a year, been maintaining for a few months, and I still have bumps in the road sometimes that catch me unaware. It's usually something like you've described, where I'm out of my normal routine. What works for me is planning as much as possible, not beating myself up when things go a bit astray, and just having the determination to get right back on track as soon as possible - back into my normal routine. And, if the routine changes, work around it.

If this staying late at work thing is really unusual, and not likely to happen again, then don't worry about it. If it's likely to happen more often, then obviously you'll have to find a way around it. If it was me in that situation, I'd probably try to get the workout in as soon as I got home, before dinner, even if it means postponing dinner slightly.

Like you say, it takes time to make seriously lifestyle changes and iron out the kinks. You'll get there.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    A few days is nothing. I fell off the wagon for two months with fast food, pizza, and buffets. I gained 10 pounds and now I'm back to losing. Don't be too hard on yourself for life getting in the way. What makes you succeed or fail is whether or not you get back to it.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Don't stress too much about going over for a day or two. It WILL even out in the long run as long as you are working hard the rest of the time. I have a no-banned foods policy as long as I stay within range of my calorie goal, but I go over (sometimes by a lot) on occasion and don't stress about it. I recently returned from a 7 day trip (I logged everything, every day, even the crap food - and went over by almost 800 calories on a couple days), stepped on the scale this morning, and I had lost 2 pounds.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're not the first.
    You're not the last.
    You're just the latest.

I tell me second graders that I want them resilient and bounce back from adversity. (I use a tennis balls and and an egg.)

You can be a tennis ball.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If the late work days were just a temporary fluke, then don't worry about it. Life gets in the way sometimes. You learn from it, shake it off, and move on.

I agree with the above poster. If working late is going to be a regular thing that you can't change, then you have to make adjustments in the areas of your life that CAN change. If it takes coming home and working out immediately after work, well then, there's your new routine. Dinner will have to wait a little while.

Try not to worry about "making up" lost workouts. That was the past. You can't change it, and your body doesn't know that you're "making up" anything. It just knows that you're burning calories and fat. Try to look forward.

This whole process really is about tweaking everything to work to your advantage, so that you're healthy AND happy. You can do this!
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The stuff that is in the rear view mirror is behind you. The road you are on goes forward. OK, you missed a few days. Get a good night's sleep to recharge your batteries and get back in your groove. If you waste all your energy being mad about the missed workout and being angry with yourself, you will only waste time and energy that you could be using on a workout! :-) Drive on! Achieve your goals!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I seems like everyone's hitting bumps in the road lately. For the first month or so I was at this I was completely able to stick to my calories and averaged about 600 under their goals for the week. Then I had one exquisite week where I never went over, but since then I've gone over twice a week and can't seem to get back into the swing of things. ugh. Just stick with it. You'll get back on track. Two or three days isn't going to hurt you any more than two or three days of exercise will help. Everything is long term.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You're not the first.
    You're not the last.
    You're just the latest.

I tell me second graders that I want them resilient and bounce back from adversity. (I use a tennis balls and and an egg.)

I like this a lot.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    stop the MADness right now!
    ow focus on all the positive and progress thus far
    continue on with your fabulous self!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You're not the first.
    You're not the last.
    You're just the latest.

I love this analogy! I have a teenager who wants to give up at the slightest set back when it comes to school, job search etc. I'll have to use this in my pep talks with him.

To the OP. You can dwell on what happened or you can get back on plan and move on. Try to set realistic goals for yourself and then when you reach those goals reward yourself. But don't reward yourself with food....your not a dog. Get your hair done or buy a new top or new pants, go to see a movie you've been wanting to see. I set small obtainable goals for myself like eating better for the week, losing 5 lbs at a time, going for more walks or riding my bike more. If you look at the full picture all at once you're going to get discouraged. Get through one hurtle at a time.