Lean legs

Options
So everyone says to get lean legs you need to lift, do squats. I recently increased the weight I do and added an extra set of squats and dead lifts to my weight training. Today I put on my favorite jeans and they are tight in the thighs. :(. Wondering if this Is temporary due o muscles holding water or repair?

Replies

• mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I also increased my calories last week from advise to be eating 20% less than TDEE
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've heard the difference between gaining long lean muscle and short bulked muscle can be in stretching. Maybe throwing some yoga in there with your exercise would help you develop the muscle the way you want? :) I could be wrong though. Hopefully some pros answer you too!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You need to lift weights to build nice shapely muscle, but for LEAN legs you still need a low body fat, and therefore need to be eating at a deficit.

You need to build the muscle first (and yes, in most cases gain weight and size) before leaning out again. It's a long arduous process and it takes time and dedication.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats can increase the size of your thighs and hips, but you're not going to see a huge difference if you're not trying to build up the muscle. I will say my pants are tighter in the hips and thighs, but my butt looks amazing, so I don't complain. ;) I still have some fat to lose there, too, so that's part of it. As for "long, lean" muscles, that's going to come down to genetics. The muscle is as long as it is, and you can't lengthen it or shorten it.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've heard the difference between gaining long lean muscle and short bulked muscle can be in stretching. Maybe throwing some yoga in there with your exercise would help you develop the muscle the way you want? :) I could be wrong though. Hopefully some pros answer you too!

Yep, sorry... this is wrong. Yoga is great for flexibility but it's not going to do a lot in terms of building muscle.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

how your muscles look depends on your genetics. although type of training does affect it, like long distance runners have very little muscle, and sprinters have powerful sometimes, bulky thighs.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Yep, sorry... this is wrong. Yoga is great for flexibility but it's not going to do a lot in terms of building muscle.

Thanks for clarifying. :) I didn't really think it built muscles, I just thought it helped them form differently.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you're much closer to goal than I am, but I haven't experienced the bigger thighs etc, they are changing in size but they are trending down, and when they are 'bigger' its from water swelling, and not any bigger than they were before I was losing. so it ends up just feeling like the fat is being replaced by muscle, even though that's impossible, but I just feel a little bit smaller each day or week.

since you're so much closer to goal, you'll notice the difference so much more, and you'll likely feel the water in your muscles too.
    try measuring when you've just had a challenging session, and when you've had 2 rest days and lots of water. there will be a big difference.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    So everyone says to get lean legs you need to lift, do squats. I recently increased the weight I do and added an extra set of squats and dead lifts to my weight training. Today I put on my favorite jeans and they are tight in the thighs. :(. Wondering if this Is temporary due o muscles holding water or repair?
    Depending on how long ago you started this new program it may just be water and repair. But if this is more than two weeks it may be the actual muscle.
  • mk9562
    Options
    So I'm confused, I want nicer legs. Should I be lifting or not?
  • mk9562
    Options
    you're much closer to goal than I am, but I haven't experienced the bigger thighs etc, they are changing in size but they are trending down, and when they are 'bigger' its from water swelling, and not any bigger than they were before I was losing. so it ends up just feeling like the fat is being replaced by muscle, even though that's impossible, but I just feel a little bit smaller each day or week.

since you're so much closer to goal, you'll notice the difference so much more, and you'll likely feel the water in your muscles too.
    try measuring when you've just had a challenging session, and when you've had 2 rest days and lots of water. there will be a big difference.

Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yes!
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lost several inches in my inner and outter thighs. I did it by walking/jogging and aerobic workouts. It also toned my butt.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if you're eating at a surplus it could be a bit of muscle development
    if you're eating at a deficit, it is probably just water retention.

squats and deads made my butt and hamstrings a lot bigger, but they look better. So don't get too hung up on jean size. if your legs look tight, you're doing it right.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to make your legs thinner overall or to reduce the % of fat on them? If you're trying to reduce the body fat percentage, then lift. If you are trying to make them smaller overall, run long distance.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Yes! If you want them to look nice and have a good shape use the weights. Don't get too hung up on the short term issues like sore legs or slight water retention. Just keep doing the right things and you'll see changes. These aren't overnight fixes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Kind of depends on what you want from "lean" legs. Technically speaking "lean" means "not much fat." If that's the case, then, yes, you should be lifting. If you want "lean" legs like a magazine model is "lean" then, no, and you need to not do any strength training, because most models have very little muscle.

(Pro tip - having not-skinny legs, because they're muscle is better all around, because not only does that mean you get good definition when you cut the fat, but the exercises required to get you there help do things like increase bone density, which helps prevent osteoporosis.)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting! Your legs will get leaner. It takes some time. I think after a few months of lifting, your legs and butt get leaner and your jeans won't be as tight - I read an article on this! But even before your clothes get looser, you can enjoy firmer legs and a much tight better looking butt :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    And yes, keep eating at a DEFICIT obviously!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My thighs have got leaner - but I don't lift. All my squats, lunges etc are part of aerobic/toning DVD workouts. Plus I loooooove Zumba - that has probably made the biggest difference in the last few weeks as its a great fat burner while still having a certain ammount of resistance in some movements. And thats just one 1-hour class and a couple of sessions of Wii Zumba.

Maybe try mixing up your routine a bit, if lifting is your main exercise, and throw in a bit more dancy-type stuff or running.