shin splints interfearing

Options
ok so when i was younger i had shin splints pretty bad and had to drop a couple sports because of them and now that i am exercising again they are coming back but i dont wanna give up on my exercise because of them. does anyone have any remedies for them or suggestions how to make it not hurt so bad??? please help i dont wanna fail!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I also get shin splints, mostly if I walk too fast or when I run. I have noticed that if I push myself too hard too fast that i get them worse then if I start out slower and allow my body to get used to what I'm doing. It was suggested to me to do exercises to build my calf muscles and that helps to aleviate shin splints.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    you need to build up the muscle along the front of the shin. While sitting, If you place your heels on the ground and lift your toes as high as they can go, you can feel that musculature along the bone. I do these toe raises a few times a week (30-40 at a time) just to keep that muscle engaged. This has helped me not have shin pain and I do a lot of running and jump-roping, etc.

good luck.
  • mrsyyoung
    mrsyyoung Posts: 16
    Options
    I copied and pasted this from another post I read earlier this month...doesen't hurt to try it:smile:

no joke this works ladies N gents ... been running since 2002, off and on ... back at it as of 3 weeks ago, i got shin splints, the lady that runs our clinic says to while sitting (desk or couch) put legs straight and write the alphabet with your feet ... 3 times a day if you can ! It works like a charm! only takes a minute
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    no joke this works ladies N gents ... been running since 2002, off and on ... back at it as of 3 weeks ago, i got shin splints, the lady that runs our clinic says to while sitting (desk or couch) put legs straight and write the alphabet with your feet ... 3 times a day if you can ! It works like a charm! only takes a minute

I agree! It seems silly and it hurts *a little* but you're basically good as new in a few days. Also, EAT BANANAS!!! :smile:
  • amberand3
    amberand3 Posts: 5
    Options
    thank you all for the advice i will have to give the stretches and abc's a try!!!:flowerforyou:
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    thanks for posting! I walked 3.5 miles on Thurs night and my shins were hurting until Sunday! I also threw in some jogging intervals in that 3.5 miles.. now I know what to do. :bigsmile:
  • rawad
    rawad Posts: 8
    Options
    I have been running for a few months and this past week when I decided to add a few faster intervals into my run I developed serious shin pain. I got the following response from a friend who is a physical therapist (and also a runner):

"For the first 48 -72 hours, ice every 2 hours or so for 20 mins is what you need to do. You can also use a compression bandage over the area to suppoort it. Just use a wide elastised bandage. Stretching your claves is good (on the edge of a step, with the back of the foot hanging off the step, lower yourself down then raise up on your toes) but make sure you do it with both a straight knee, and also with knee bent, to get the 2 different parts of the calf muscle (soleus and gastrocnemius -in case you need to look them up on internet). Also try a gentle stretch sitting with bent knees (bum back onto heels) with feet pointed out behind you and lean back onto heels. This will stretch front part of ankle/shins.After about 48-72 hours if it is still a problem, then you can use some heat and some self massage. Just use heat pack and self massage for about 5 mins before and after exercise.

If they feel okay, try to run at normal speed (not fast). If they aer sore when running then slow down or change to something else. IF they are still sore just from walking around, then do some cross training (like bike or elliptical) instead of a run."

Hope this helps. I'm still working on it - my last run (the one that cause the pain) was 2 days ago. I'm still sore but not as much as I was yesterday. Think I'll probably do the bike today and hopefully try to run again in the next day or 2.