CRUNCHES...HELP?!

Options
So I have been trying to do crunches since I started my lifestyle change and I am having a hard time...it's like even though I dread the thought of doing them I still try but once I do like 10reps I get this really bad burning sensation in my abdominal area I mean this pain/burning hurts bad makes me want to stop.

I guess what I am asking is this normal? Especially since it happens so quickly after doing only 10reps...I used to (a few years ago) be able to do like 30 no problem before I felt the burn but I never remember the burn being this bad...

...any advice or suggestions? Could I be doing something wrong?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Advice? Do planks instead, they're more effective.

If not, don't worry - your 10 rep max will increase with persistence.

And yes, they will hurt at first.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Advice? Do planks instead, they're more effective.

If not, don't worry - your 10 rep max will increase with persistence.

And yes, they will hurt at first.

Thanks! I will continue to do them and throw in planks as part of my workout as well. I was just hoping I wasn't doing something wrong.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You have to workout your abs just like other muscles.. and not using them for a few years is going to have them not be used.. so when you start again it will burn.. its normal... but if your looking to shrink your stomach by doing crunches instead of dropping BF% by dieting your just wasting your time.
  • Heather032190
    Options
    I have myself on a calorie deficite with changing the foods I eat and staying away from processed foods and ect. and I am working out 4-5 days a week doing cardio and strength training. So I do not believe I am wasting my time..unless I am wrong but I thought doing all these things help throughout my diet/lifestyle change.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    He was just saying trying to shrink your stomach by doing crunches is ineffective.
    Doing curl ups and crunches will not necessarily target and burn stomach fat, all it will do for certain is build muscle. By building muscle underneath the fat, it can actually appear as if the fat is growing. If you are doing crunches only and not dieting and working out the rest of your body you are going to be sorely disappointed is all he was saying.

As for my advice, shake it up. Do planks, curl ups, crunches, leg lifts, side crunches, etc ... And not all in a day. Don't do the crunches every day for sure, maybe every other day. You want to lose weight, don't kill yourself.
    Oh, and yes, the extreme burn is normal if you haven't worked your stomach muscle for numerous years and you are pushing them.
  • Heather032190
    Options
    Yea I guess I seemed a little offended...And I want to THANK all of you for the advice. I am new to working out on a weekly basis so I am trying to make sure I am doing things right..because I know people stress that if you are doing it wrong you won't get results.

I appreciate the advice guys!
  • JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That burning is completely normal - it's lactic acid building up in the muscles as you work them. It's the burn, really, that tells you that you're working the muscles effectively! If you were doing crunches and were feeling nothing, you'd need to do more or add some weight. Feeling a burn after 10 crunches is normal, especially if you're first starting to work those muscles. The more you do it, the more you'll be able to do!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I take a cxworx class at my gym twice a week and I get the same burning sensation the first few weeks after we change it up. It's normal. I agree with the other posts about changing it up as well. Between this site and YouTube and google you can find all kinds of workouts to engage your abs. Russian Twists. Leg raises, planks, etc.
  • Heather032190
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will deffinatly change it up and I will have to look into the other exercise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That really painful sensation in your abdominal area is what you are trying to accomplish?

You can try jackknifes, jackknifes against a wall, reverse sit ups, planks, and lemon squeezers. You can also try any of the following-

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/muscle/abdominals

But what you are describing is the normal feeling of working out your abs. :)