Too much spinach or kale?

Options
So...I drink a lot of green smoothies. I usually have one each morning (with 3 cups of spinach), but sometimes if I have something to do in the evening and I need something fast, I will make that in the evening- making it 6 cups of spinach a day.

My question is...can you have too much spinach? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I did some searches online where some individuals ate a lot of spinach or kale overtime and they started to not feel well..something with their thyroid?

Just dont want this to happen to me...so any insight or information would be GREAT.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mandyeharmon
    mandyeharmon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kidney stones, too much spinach causes kidney stones. Don't drink every day and limit yourself to just one a day. Sub with non green/leafy substance. Just my suggestion.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would google spinach to see what vitamins are in it and then I would google "toxicity of ____(insert vitamin)" that's the best way to know. Usually the only time you have a toxicity to a vitamin is when they are fat soluable vitamins, not water soluable. Spinach has more water soluable than fat. I think you're ok.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of having any issues with spinach, I usually eat a lot of it too and it has done nothing but good things for me. I too think you should be fine.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Raw spinach contains oxalic acid, which prevents iron and calcium consumption (and can cause kidney stones). Kale has very little oxalic acid so it would be less of a concern. Three cups shouldn't be an issue as long as you consume other calcium and iron rich foods; most of the volume is water and fiber.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i honestly think you'll be fine as long as you aren't going overboard with the amounts you put into the smoothies.

but if you're concerned, just rotate between spinach, kale, celery, other types of greens, etc.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Have a look here:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43#safetyissues
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=38#safetyissues

As with anything, the dose makes the poison. The best thing you can do for your diet from a safety standpoint is variety.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    for those of you taking warfarin/coumadin - anticoagulant "blood thinner" you must be very careful to have a consistent intake of veetables containing vitamin K - typically green/leafy/broccoli. there is a misconception that you can not have these, but what is important is that you have about the same amount of VK daily.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    So...I drink a lot of green smoothies. I usually have one each morning (with 3 cups of spinach), but sometimes if I have something to do in the evening and I need something fast, I will make that in the evening- making it 6 cups of spinach a day.

My question is...can you have too much spinach? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I did some searches online where some individuals ate a lot of spinach or kale overtime and they started to not feel well..something with their thyroid?

Just dont want this to happen to me...so any insight or information would be GREAT.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a family history of thyroid problems, then you might be concerned. Certain thyroid issues (like Hashimoto's) are irritated by things like broccoli, kale, spinach, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Just be aware of whether you are or are not sensitive to nitrates.

If you've ever cooked pork with spinach you'll know what I mean, the pork turns pink. Sodium nitrate does that, and spinach has it naturally. If you amp the spinach intake you might be increasing you sodium nitrate intake beyond where you want it to be.
  • Krissy1214
    Krissy1214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For a few weeks I was drinking several green smoothies a day with several cups of spinach per smoothie, as I thought it was super healthy so why not drink lots of it? But I ended up getting a skin flare-up similar to eczema from too much Vitamin A.
    So I reduced my green smoothies to once a day, and haven't had a problem since.