Outside running vs Treadmill running

Options
2»

Replies

• dwndnk
    dwndnk Posts: 3
    Options
    Maybe thats whats wrong with me....I hate the treadmill. They gym has 15 TVs to give me something to focus on but 20 minutes on the treadmill is torture. I am bored in, no lie, 3 minutes....it feels like hours to me.
    I think until the weather gets so hot that I cant breathe (Im in Mississippi) I may do my cardio outside and just use the gym for crunches etc.
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    I wish I was a runner...striving to be one...I run/walk on the treadmill now in 5 minute intervals. Should I have started outside?
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The thing about running outside is that YOU have to propel your own body forward, whereas on the treadmill, the belt is doing a lot of work for you. When you're on a treadmill, your body is staying in the same spot - you're just moving your legs. When you run outside, your whole body has to move, and it takes a lot of effort to move it forward.

I don't run much, but I do spend a lot of time on a bike, and it's the same sort of deal. Training on the stationary doesn't compare to cycling outside at all, where I have to not only move my bike's weight but my own body weight as well. Just takes practice and some patience.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to do the "Run for your lives" race, and there is no way I'm going to be prepared for that by running on a treadmill, and as much as I hate to admit I am constantly looking at the time :/ I am just so scared of running outside, I feel like such a looser cause I get tired so much easier outside.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I won't set foot on a dreadmill unless am forced to due to in-climate weather..and I'm not talking about a little nip in the air, proper running attire takes care of that...I'm talking freezing temps, ice, snow, etc. I much prefer running outside and enjoying nature...getting a little sun, listening to the birds chirping, etc. Plus, it is more difficult...the treadmill gives you some assistance vs actually have to do a full push yourself running outside...but I always kinda thought the point of exercise was to challenge yourself each and every time.

I also run because I'm actually training, not just for calorie burn. 5Ks and whatnot take place outdoors so training on the dreadmill all of the time is counter productive to my goals.
  • djmodernroq
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I'm great at running on the treadmill, and feel super confident doing that. I make sure I have my incline set to 1-1.5 to imitate actually running outside. I rarely try running outside, but I can barely do it. I feel like I'm going to die!! I just started running over a month and a half ago so I'm new to this, but I love running on the treadmill. I would like to be able to enjoy it outside as well. Which do you prefer??

I prefer running outside. Reason y is because i won't get bored and i get to burn more calories. Also, the air is diff, specially in cold weather. I've added hiking to my cardio which I'm enjoying it more than running. I challenged myself jogging up the mountain for 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile which is a great workout. You should try that if you have access to hiking.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I run outside. I personally cannot feel safe walking on a treadmill. I'm considered more a slow jogger, but I love it.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love jogging outside, but the treadmill is easier on my ankles. Haven't been able to jog since I last did it outside :-\.

I loved it outside bc I didn't have to constantly look around a gym to avoid staring at the time and could enjoy nature :)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I stay on a treadmill year round because I like to zone out and imagine. If I did that IRL I'd get hit by a car.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i run outside no matter what, rain, shine, minus 34.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I find that I can run so much farther outside than I can inside! I like to give myself visual goals that I need to get to instead of staring at the same darn thing. Definitely prefer outside!
  • samjaques58
    Options
    hi
    it really is much better for you to run outside, i run 7 miles 4 times a week and it really is great i can eat whatever i like and i dont gain an ounce, and it costs nothing and it dont smell. i am really not a fan of gyms anymore get out there into the wild and you feel much better and loose wight much faster
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside more than running on a treadmill. I live in the city so there is no shortage of beautiful architecture to look at. My only problem with running outside is learning to control my pace so that I did not tire out too soon.

The treadmill seems like work and very redundant. I get bored looking at the same thing over and over. Not even listening to music helps me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like to run outside, but only in the spring or fall. I know..I am a whimp. I don't like it when it is too cold, and really hate it in 100 degree weather! The issue might be, is that when you are on a treadmill, the pace is set. When you are outside, you set your own pace...so just try to slow it down a bit until you get used to it. You might be going a bit too fast for what you are used to.

Ditto! I'm a total wimp too... My temp range is 40-75 degrees. Any colder or hotter and I just won't do it. I might run if it's lightly raining. LOL!

When I first started running it was on the treadmill only and my first few runs outside were pure torture! It is so much harder to pace yourself and deal with the ups and downs of the terrain. Keep at it, try slowing down as suggested above. You'll feel more comfortable after a while.

Now I can't stand running on the treadmill - it almost gives me a panic attack. The most I'll do is intervals but even walking on the treadmil is too much for me sometimes. I can walk or run so much faster on my own outside.
  • kellita66
    Options
    I have always found it so interesting that there are SO many people that hate running on treadmills because for some reason, I prefer it! I do enjoy a good race, but for training I prefer the treadmill. I don't know if it's the access to TVs (that makes me sound sooo lazy, I'm aware) or that it's a controlled environment. Eh, to each their own I suppose!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats whats wrong with me....I hate the treadmill. They gym has 15 TVs to give me something to focus on but 20 minutes on the treadmill is torture. I am bored in, no lie, 3 minutes....it feels like hours to me.
    I think until the weather gets so hot that I cant breathe (Im in Mississippi) I may do my cardio outside and just use the gym for crunches etc.

I find intervals make the time go by super quick, but straight walking/running drags on a treadmill
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill to outside. My neighborhood is between a highway and two busy main drags, so there's not many places to walk/run where there's not tons of traffic. Also, the nearest couple of blocks don't even have sidewalks and I HATE being on the street. I also have a one-year-old and it's just easiest to fit in my workout after he's gone to bed. Plus I can watch TV or read while I'm working out and the time goes much faster. Lastly, I find that I don't go as long when I'm outside because once I've finished my course, I'm done. I can go as long as I want on the treadmill and not have to worry about the extra time/distance to get back.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont do either bu t i woul d like running outside