Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for heart rate monitors? I would love one that would sit on my wrist like a watch and just count and monitors calories lost all day. I'm a nursing student, soon to be nurse, and am always on my feet and constantly moving. I would love a gauge of what I burn or how much I walk at work.
:smile:

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want something like the products that Fit Bit offers. Those are for all day use and tracking steps and calories burned just walking around. I don't have one personally but I think a lot of people here do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    HRM aren't very good for what you want. And the best HRMs have a chest strap that could be uncomfortable to wear all day long.

Body Media devices are the best for all day tracking, but their are several gadgets that are pedometer style, like Jawbone UP, which specifically is a wrist band.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah, What you're describing sounds like an activity monitor, not a HRM. Nike Fuelband, Jawbone UP, Fit Bit, Body media and Bodybugg are a few examples of what's on the market.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A body media would be great for you, but check your work allows you to wear it first. If not then a fitbit would be a great option! I've had both. Prefer the bodymedia but if you're not allowed It at work the fitbit was pretty good to!
  • hexspinner
    hexspinner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a fitbit user myself, I'm loving mine. ( http://www.fitbit.com/user/24QSD2 )

Although my view is one sided because this is the only calorie counter / pedometer I've used. I like the Fitbit One because it has a nice LED screen. It can track steps taken, calories, stairs, miles walked and sleep. Sleep in my opinion is just an extra and it sort of nice to see how well you slept but I don't care for it. What I like is that it does have a silent wake timer that wakes you up with a soft pulse of vibration. Overall I use it everyday attached to my belt. It resets to zero calories at midnight and it slowly ticks with calories burned throughout the day and more if you move. I use it as a gauge of how much I can eat to lose the pounds I'm aiming for. So far with MFP and my Fitbit One, I've lost 23 pounds of the 40 I aim to lose.

If you don't like the sleep timer on the Fitbit One, you can get the Fitbit Zip which is cheaper and without the sleep timer.

Here is a CNET.com review about the Fitbit Zip: http://reviews.cnet.com/personal-care/fitbit-zip/4505-14095_7-35451761.html

I'm not a spokes person for Fitbit, I'm just a fan I suppose.
  • pedritos1
    pedritos1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I AM A HUGE FAN OF THE BODYMEDIA HRMS. IT KEEPS TRACK OF CALORIES BURNED AND STEPS AND YOU CAN EVEN SET UP DAILY GOALS LIKE NUMBER OF MINS DOING MODERATE ACTIVITY AND VIGOROUS ACTIVITY. BODYMEDIA AND MFP SINC TOGETHER TO MAKE KEEPING TRACK OF YOUR CALORIES AND DAILY GOALS EASIER. MINE IS AN ARM BAND THAT I WEAR EVERY DAY AND IS NOT IRRITATING AT ALL. YOU CAN USUALLY NOT EVEN FEEL IT THERE. YOU CAN BUY A MONITOR, THAT LOOKS LIKE A WATCH FACEPLATE THAT YOU CAN CLIP ON YOUR SHIRT, PANTS POCKET OR EVEN JUST CLIP IT ON THE ARMBAND ITSELF. YOU SHOULD GOOGLE IT, OR CHECK IT OUT ON BODYMEDIA.COM IT'S BEEN A GREAT INVESTMENT AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. :)
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I AM A HUGE FAN OF THE BODYMEDIA HRMS. IT KEEPS TRACK OF CALORIES BURNED AND STEPS AND YOU CAN EVEN SET UP DAILY GOALS LIKE NUMBER OF MINS DOING MODERATE ACTIVITY AND VIGOROUS ACTIVITY. BODYMEDIA AND MFP SINC TOGETHER TO MAKE KEEPING TRACK OF YOUR CALORIES AND DAILY GOALS EASIER. MINE IS AN ARM BAND THAT I WEAR EVERY DAY AND IS NOT IRRITATING AT ALL. YOU CAN USUALLY NOT EVEN FEEL IT THERE. YOU CAN BUY A MONITOR, THAT LOOKS LIKE A WATCH FACEPLATE THAT YOU CAN CLIP ON YOUR SHIRT, PANTS POCKET OR EVEN JUST CLIP IT ON THE ARMBAND ITSELF. YOU SHOULD GOOGLE IT, OR CHECK IT OUT ON BODYMEDIA.COM IT'S BEEN A GREAT INVESTMENT AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. :)

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE I HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING HOW THESE THINGS WORKED AND IT'S GREAT THAT SOMEONE THAT USED THEM STEPPED IN AND TOLD US HOW IT WORKED BECAUSE IT IS MUCH NICER TO FIND OUT HOW TO USE THEM FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS USED THEM BEFORE THAN TO JUST TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN AND THIS PERSON SOUNDS LIKE THEY REALLY COULD USE ONE BECAUSE OF THEIR JOB AND WHAT THEY DO DURING THE DAY WHAT WITH ALL OF THE WALKING AROUND AND IT IS NICE TO KNOW THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN FEEL THAT IT IS THERE BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD BOTHER ME IF I WORE IT ALL THE TIME BUT APPARENTLY IT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU BECAUSE YOU SAID SO AND I AM REALLY GLAD THAT YOURS IS HELPING YOU ARE YOU HAVING SUCCESS LOSING WEIGHT WITH THIS THING AND DOES IT SEEM TO HELP YOU A LOT?
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use Polar FT40, it shows your heart rate, displays calories burned, you can enter goals and stuff but I mostly use mine for the calories burned.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT40
  • pedritos1
    Options
    I PERSONALLY LOVE HAVING THE GOALS TO REACH FOR EVERY DAY. IT BEEPS WHEN YOU HIT THE GOALS AND TO ME THATS LIKE A PAT ON THE BACK THAT I NEED. I RECOMMEND GETTING THE FACEPLATE LIKE MONITOR SO YOU CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE THROUGHOUT THE DAY. IT ALSO HAS A LED LIGHT. BUT OF COURSE THE HRM WORKS WITH OUT THE EXTRA MONITOR SCREEN. YOU WOULD JUST HAVE TO SINC IT INTO THE COMPUTER TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND TO ME THAT'S A BUMMER TO HAVE TO WAIT. I LIKE KNOWING RIGHT NOW AND BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT IT ANYTIME DURING THE DAY TO KEEP ME MOTIVATED. HONESTLY BOTH MFP AND MY BODYMEDIA HRM HAVE BEEN A BLESSING TO HAVE TO KEEP ME ON TRACK WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS. IT IS VERY ACURATE ON CALORIES BURNED AND TO ME THATS VERY IMPORTANT. :)
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I PERSONALLY LOVE HAVING THE GOALS TO REACH FOR EVERY DAY. IT BEEPS WHEN YOU HIT THE GOALS AND TO ME THATS LIKE A PAT ON THE BACK THAT I NEED. I RECOMMEND GETTING THE FACEPLATE LIKE MONITOR SO YOU CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE THROUGHOUT THE DAY. IT ALSO HAS A LED LIGHT. BUT OF COURSE THE HRM WORKS WITH OUT THE EXTRA MONITOR SCREEN. YOU WOULD JUST HAVE TO SINC IT INTO THE COMPUTER TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND TO ME THAT'S A BUMMER TO HAVE TO WAIT. I LIKE KNOWING RIGHT NOW AND BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT IT ANYTIME DURING THE DAY TO KEEP ME MOTIVATED. HONESTLY BOTH MFP AND MY BODYMEDIA HRM HAVE BEEN A BLESSING TO HAVE TO KEEP ME ON TRACK WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS. IT IS VERY ACURATE ON CALORIES BURNED AND TO ME THATS VERY IMPORTANT. :)

35x1qs.jpg
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I use FT7, I love ittt
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE I HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING HOW THESE THINGS WORKED AND IT'S GREAT THAT SOMEONE THAT USED THEM STEPPED IN AND TOLD US HOW IT WORKED BECAUSE IT IS MUCH NICER TO FIND OUT HOW TO USE THEM FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS USED THEM BEFORE THAN TO JUST TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN AND THIS PERSON SOUNDS LIKE THEY REALLY COULD USE ONE BECAUSE OF THEIR JOB AND WHAT THEY DO DURING THE DAY WHAT WITH ALL OF THE WALKING AROUND AND IT IS NICE TO KNOW THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN FEEL THAT IT IS THERE BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD BOTHER ME IF I WORE IT ALL THE TIME BUT APPARENTLY IT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU BECAUSE YOU SAID SO AND I AM REALLY GLAD THAT YOURS IS HELPING YOU ARE YOU HAVING SUCCESS LOSING WEIGHT WITH THIS THING AND DOES IT SEEM TO HELP YOU A LOT?

fixed it for you...
  • pedritos1
    Options
    I LIKE CAPS, I CAN READ IT BETTER, LOL
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_(technology)
    Common rules for e-mail[3] and USENET such as avoiding flamewars and spam are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to avoid typing in ALL CAPS or grossly enlarging script for emphasis, which is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling. Other commonly shared points, such as remembering that one's posts are (or can easily be made) public, are generally intuitively understood by publishers of Web pages and posters to USENET, although this rule is somewhat flexible depending on the environment.
    ^ emphasis mine.

actually this is better (http://etiquette.about.com/od/Smartphones/a/Proper-Internet-Etiquette.htm)
    Don’t Shout
    Avoid using all caps in any email or post. Some people think that keeping the caps lock button on for the entire message will make it easier to read, while it actually does the opposite. It is not only difficult to read, it comes across as shouting, which is rude.

I found I couldn't read what you said at all. Not sure why, but I couldn't. I do think what you had to share had value, but really I struggled with reading it.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options

You should

A. Get glasses
    B. Learn how to decrease your screen resolution
    and/or
    C. Turn off caps lock.
  • 69Greer
    69Greer Posts: 36
    Options
    I got a Polar FT70 on Father's Day last year. Use it 3-4 times a week and still ticking. It's great.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for heart rate monitors? I would love one that would sit on my wrist like a watch and just count and monitors calories lost all day. I'm a nursing student, soon to be nurse, and am always on my feet and constantly moving. I would love a gauge of what I burn or how much I walk at work.
    :smile:

About this...

I have one with a chest strap and it is pretty comfy, but I did find that I got a cut from it during my first 6 mile run... the band and my sports bra were scrapping. HRMs are good for exercise, but not good for all day tracking. I believe people recommend things like the fit bit for that - which tracks steps and such, but not heartrate. So far I haven't heard of anything that does both accurately.

Oh, and I downloaded a free pedometer for my phone and that helps me get an semi accurate number... I usually have that thing strapped to me almost all the time!
  • pedritos1
    Options
    sorry to all that got offended, i really didn't know that about all caps. :)
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    sorry to all that got offended, i really didn't know that about all caps. :)

no offense at all... you look like a really sweet lady. :flowerforyou:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Exactly, I refuse to read anything that is written in Caps.