Question for runners

Options
So last night I decided to run a mile out of the blue. I played fast pitch softball in highschool but haven't ran since then. It's been almost 5 years, and I had gained a lot of weight (currently at 244.4) so I wanted to see if I could still do it. I ran a mile in 11:39:49 with a 20 second breather around the 8 minute mark but I left the stopwatch running because I wanted to know my true time. To be honest, it was much better than I was expecting. I've never really been into running... but I want to be.

I plan on running again tonight and I am not sure if I should stay at the same pace for a few days, or if I should work on increasing my speed and improving my time? Or maybe staying at the same pace and increasing the distance a little? Suggestions are much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm also doing 20 minutes of circuit training, plus the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I just want extra cardio!

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    My general rule is always distance first, then speed. I don't care about my pace, just how much ground I can cover.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My general rule is always distance first, then speed. I don't care about my pace, just how much ground I can cover.

Sounds good :) Thanks
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    That's a great pace for not running for a long time! Congrats!

The answers to your questions really depend on what your goals are. Some people prefer a faster pace or sprints for a shorter time frame so that they can burn the optimum amount of fat. They usually choose to do sprint intervals: jog for 30 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, etc.

Some people prefer to focus more on getting to a certain distance. They may not look so much at their pace but instead focus on being able to run 2 miles, 3, 4, etc.

I have done both. I enjoy sprints because it is so much more of a burn in an immediate time frame. I'll burn way more with sprint intervals in 30 minutes than I could with jogging. However, I love being able to say I ran 6 miles. When I started running I just focused on getting to be able to run 3 miles. Once I got there, I pushed harder and harder each time to be able to run the same distance but in a shorter time. Now from there, I'm again going for distance. I ran 6 miles for the first time on Sunday and I want to be able to do that again and start shortening my time from there.

Both are great options especially if you love running. Good luck!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I will usually decide on a distance I want to achieve without walking (i.e 5k) and then when I can do it, I'll work on my time covering that distance for a few sessions and then lengthen the distance, and repeat.

That really is a great pace for having been away from it for so long!
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been working on all of those things, to some extent. I'm almost done with C25K (which might be of some interest to you), which is designed to gradually increase the user's running time over the length of the program. But I've been working up to slightly faster running speeds as I've moved through the program and my stamina has increased; for example, I did my ten minute running intervals yesterday at 5.3 and 5.5 mph respectively, whereas when I started back in January, I was struggling to run at 5.0 mph (and for far less time, too).
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I was really surprised to accomplish it in that time truly, but I was determined. The best part is that I did it because i WANTED to. No one suggested it or pressured me to. I just felt like it. (Which is really weird for me, and you'll probably never get me to admit that I like running out loud) lol

But either way, I'm mainly focusing on fat loss right now and building muscle with my circuit training and 30DS, so I think I will try the 30 seconds of jogging and then 30 seconds of sprinting tonight during my mile and see how it goes :)
  • shelbyjane2007
    shelbyjane2007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to run in high school too (class of 08). Iv put on some weight etc. with getting married and becoming very comfortable. I have been doing the Couch to five k and I LOVE it! I'm already getting definition on my calf muscles. I'll add you and we can encourage each other :)
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I'm not sure if I have the endurance to do a 5K but I'll look into the C25K. My muscles have always been in my legs for the most. I was doing about 360-380lbs on the leg press. Right now I'm doing 250lbs cause that's the highest our weight machine will go, but I make up for it by doing extra sets. I'm not too concerned about getting definition in my legs, as much as I am overall body health and fat loss.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been running for almost 3 years now the first year was very inconsistent I would run for a couple of weeks feel sore then stop for a few weeks then start again. Then I decided I would push through the pain as I knew it wasn't an injury just soreness, I entered a 5+ 10k and just kept going. I focused on distance but as I have got fitter I have naturally got faster. I used to run at an 11min/mile now I average about 9.30 min/mile. My first 10k time was 1hour 7 and the same one the year after was 57mins I am very pleased with that progress. My half marathon time is 2hour 13mins repeating this this year and will hopefully beat my time. My longest run to date is 18miles will do a marathon one day but not this year I don't think. Good luck great time for a first run and I hope you achieve your goals. I would recommend following a programme like couch to 5k. I am not a good sprinter but will introduce this soon struggling to lose this last 10lbs maybe that would help.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would go the C25K route. That way you work into it slow and reduce you risk of injury.
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    I'll look into it, but I don't want to feel like a failure if I can't ever do 5 miles lol

edit. wasn't thinking. 5k =/= 5 miles. lmao.
  • dcl3872
    dcl3872 Posts: 20
    Options
    Slow and steady no reason to break any records at this point, try not injuring yourself ,and add more minutes the amount of time you do it is more important then how fast you do it.
  • deoboed
    deoboed Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll look into it, but I don't want to feel like a failure if I can't ever do 5 miles lol

5K is 3.1 miles, so it's about twice again that mile that you already did. Go for it!
  • evolution143
    evolution143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner but discovered the C25K program and love it! Some weeks are harder than others but it has definitely made me a better runner. There are even a handful of free apps for your phone (I use Zen Labs version) that tell you when to walk/run.

If you graduate from that, there is also a 10K app by Zen Labs that adds 6 weeks to the 5K program.

I highly recommend it!!
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised you could run a mile since you are doing cardio in so many other forms but that is a very impressive pace! My advice is to choose a 5K race a few months out and train for it! I find training for a race to be a fun way to be motivated. And even if you can't run a 5K now, you will be able to by then if you stick with it. And again, all the other cardio means you do have more cardio ability.

Good job! Keep it up!
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    Well, I ran tonight and decided my goal was to run without any breaks, so I ran my 1 mile in 10:37:99 with no breaks!
  • jenniferldorris
    jenniferldorris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At 244, I am very impressed that you can maintain that mile time. You should take advantage of your ability to do cardio and use this to boost your weight loss, you will only get faster and increase endurance as you decrease bodyfat.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow that's really good, I'm now 119lbs and my fastest was just under 9 minutes for 1 mile.

I am trying to maintain a comfortable talking pace as this is what my training is saying i should do. I am currently running 4 - 5 times a week, Most of them are short because i am using the pram and the kids get bored if you go for an hour run :)
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    My goal tonight is to run for 1.25 minutes straight through. I think I'm not going to worry about increasing my speed/decreasing my time yet, rather focus on distance covered...working my way up by adding 1/4. I know it's not much, but considering I'm very overweight, it's more than enough to keep my heart rate up there and still seeming doable.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    One thing that might help is to sort out when your "warm up" is over... (I've been running more on than off for 20 years, and only sorted this out in the past few years, wish I'd done it earlier!)

I used to blow off the idea of "warming up" mostly because I'm not a sprinter, I did little speed work, and most people's recommendation was to walk for a few minutes - which isn't enough to get me "warmed up". But when I got my heart rate monitor I noticed my heart rate really did indicate that for every work out I did, even on a bike, there's a "warm up" period that lasts about 8-12 minutes (depending on weather and level of effort). In that time period my heart rate spikes (regardless of whether there are hills involved or not, even at a steady pace), and at the end my hands and feet get toasty warm in the winter - I have to take off my gloves.

I mention this because you said you needed a breather at the 8 minute mark - this was likely right at the peak of your "warm up" (even if you walked before, walking may not do it for you either). If you have a heart rate monitor, and can manage, see how your heart rate changes running on flat ground for 15 minutes - I bet it will peak high then drop. that will let you know where your warm up ends.

For me, even if I'm doing speed work or hills, once I clear that warm up peak in my heart rate, I have an easier time moving during the rest of my run, and it's my muscles that inform me when I've had enough.

Just some food for thought. Good luck!