DISCOURAGED

Options
I've been using this site and dieting now for about 9-10 weeks. I eat the 1600 calories I'm supposed to, visit the gym roughly 5 times a week (doing some work on the elliptical, a lot of treadmill walking, and strength training with the weights), gave up all soda - regular and diet, drink only water and tea (limited juice upon occasion), gave up all fast food, and everything else I've been able to think of and have read and the internet.

I HAVE NOT LOST ONE POUND - I AM STILL A 280 POUND FEMALE! Granted, I now have visible bicep muscles, my face is very noticeably slimmer, and I have lost 3" from the waist - 2" from the hips - 1" from the neck, and maybe have lost a size .... I HAVE NOT LOST ONE SINGLE POUND.

I'm tired of hearing the "muscle weighs more than fat". I try to motivate myself by reading success stories but get depressed when I keep reading about people having lost about 40-50 pounds at this point.

Replies

• BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nobody loses 40-50 pounds in 9 weeks without seriously screwing themselves up.

A number is just a number on the scale. Seriously, it sounds like you're doing great. Losing fat by slimming down, toning up, getting tighter and I would have to guess you feel a whole lot better on a regular basis.

Keep at it, you're doing exactly what you need to be doing. The scale will reflect that eventually, but the mirror and the clothing is much more rewarding anyway.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    A lb of muscle weighs the same as a 1lb of fat -- 1 lb.
    But 1 lb of fat takes up more space than 1lb of muscle.

That is why you should take measurements of yourself and take front & back pictures -- because the scale does not accurately show the changes made by exercise.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I HAVE NOT LOST ONE POUND - I AM STILL A 280 POUND FEMALE! Granted, I now have visible bicep muscles, my face is very noticeably slimmer, and I have lost 3" from the waist - 2" from the hips - 1" from the neck, and maybe have lost a size .... I HAVE NOT LOST ONE SINGLE POUND.

That's awesome! Who cares about the number on the scale? Does anyone see it but you?
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1.) Think about how long it took you to get to your current weight. It might to take that long to take it off.

2.) The inches you've lost - that's a great accomplishment, and not something to scoff at! Congrats!!! :flowerforyou: You notice you're getting smaller, so that means you're doing SOMETHING right. KEEP AT IT.

Maybe take a break off the scale for a while, and just take measurements. You'll see the changes there more dramatically than on the scale.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to eat more. You eat 1600 cals per day is that net calories after eating exercise cals back or no? I weigh less than you and eat about 1900-2000 cals a day and I'm losing weight. Try going to scooby doo fitness calculator to figure out your cal goal and add your activity level. I've been using their calorie recommendation and it's been working for me. Good luck.

P.S. You're seeing changes in your body which is awesome. I've only lost about 10lbs in 4 months. However, people are seeing changes in my body and my tummy is getting smaller. The scale isn't an accurate reflection of the changes taking place in your body. Take pics and measure yourself.
  • MegWilbe
    MegWilbe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, Ive been doing this since jan 2013, I lost 11lbs at first and not a single pound since then and its been almost 2 months. I havent even lost an inch, unless i measured wrong to begin with. I workout everyday, cardio and strength training, i have adjusted my calories a few times and nothing works!~ But Ive gone down a size, my face is thinner and i can visibly see changes in my body...it makes no sense, and i was just at the urgent care and they said it wasnt my thyroid...But I just keep going hoping something will give
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    By your measurements, it sounds like you ARE DOING GREAT! Keep doing what you are doing. The scale will eventually show a change.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    And your diary look likes what?. Open your diary so that we can give you the help you are requesting, otherwise it is your word against what you are actually inputting in your diary.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job! Throw that scale in the trash! lol
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is great; good on you!

Some of us have to build muscle before we can lose fat and see the numbers on the scale go down. True story. (I am one.)
  • mrsleanneswatson
    Options
    My sister was feeling discouraged recently because she hadn't seen much weight loss even though she was doing everything right. She didn't even realize she was dropping inches until she went to the store and was in her goal pants size! That's when she threw out the scale (metaphorically) and started tracking her progress using measurements, not weight. She seems much happier now! Your measurements show that you are doing something right. Rely on that!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    At this point, I wish there was a message that comes up when posters post a message like this that says "Please re-read your post before submitting"

You're losing inches=You're losing fat=You're dropping sizes=You're looking NOTICEABLY SMALLER=Win.

A number on the scale is just that, a number.
    It does not measure your body fat percentage (unless it's one of those fancy ones)
    It does not measure your clothing size

It measures your body as a UNIT.
    It measures your gravitational PULL at that certain time of day
    It measures your water retention (which at any point can change drastically)
    It measures your organs
    It measures your POOP

Don't get discouraged on something that is OBVIOUSLY wrong if your measurements and body is telling you otherwise.
    Trust what you see when you look in the mirror.

In other news, yes I believe you are eating too little. You're 280lbs, you're working out 5 times a week, and you're eating as much as I do. I'm 4'11" and I work out 3 times a week and i'm 170 lbs.

Recalculate your TDEE, Your BMR and your Daily Calories and stick to it.

Keep it up.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    don't be discouraged. I spoke to my doctor about this a month ago. He said to keep working at it, it will come with time. I have a thyroid issue but its properly regulated. I seemed to have stalled a bit on actualy weight lost HOWEVER I've lost inches and that is more important than what the scale says. Keep up the good work, its awesome that you've lost the inches you have! :) Maybe set up some mini goals to keep you motivated, find a pair of pants or a shirt a size smaller that you would like to fit into, try it on once a week or every couple weeks until it fits. I've been using that as a source of motivation. I'm not saying go overboard and buy a new wardrobe but one item might help you see that all of your work isn't for nothing. Good luck with your goals, sounds like you're off to a great start! :smile:
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Your measurements speak for themselves, scale be damned. Have you taken pictures? I have barely lost 12 lbs in the past like 7 months and the places I regularly measure (Belly and hips) have barely changed, but when I looked at pictures it made a HUGE difference.

Also, eat more. Google "TDEE" calculator. Find out what your TDEE (total day energy expenditure) is and then remove 20%. Eat back your exercise calories. Your body thinks there is a famine so its slowing your metabolism to save fat to preserve you from starving later.
  • Reaper1975
    Options
    I actually do "eat back" whatever calories I spend at the gym -- usually around 300-500 extra. I eat the baseline of 1600 because that's what this very site calculated. I've been to other site that actually said I should be eating more like a baseline of 1900.

I have take some face pictures to track progress - I'll try to post them later. I need to start taking some body pictures I guess to go with it.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Scoobysworkshop.com is aaaaawesome. To speak to what xMonroeMisfit said. I'm just barely over 5'3" and I'm taking in 1605 net calories a day. I set my own goals as to what my macros for the day are. I'm currently doing the Jamie Eason 12 Week Trainer. So far I'm almost 4 weeks into the trainer and I can tell I'm getting smaller, however scale weight? couldn't tell ya, I'm only weighing in at the end of every "phase" which works out to once a month. My first official weigh in is this weekend and I'm stoked. I know it's hard to give up the "scale weight is so important" thing. That's why I had hubby hide my scale for a while so that I could break its hold LOL.

For my final point, I'm going to quote... again:

It does not measure your body fat percentage (unless it's one of those fancy ones)
    It measures your water retention (which at any point can change drastically) **Added (Especially dependant on where you are in your cycle. Some women report a increase of at least 5 pounds d/t additional fluid retention at this time. Also to note that "weight" drops the day after their menses.)

It measures your organs
    It measures your POOP
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request. :) Stay, just a little bit longer, sounds like you are on your way! :)))
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    At this point, I wish there was a message that comes up when posters post a message like this that says "Please re-read your post before submitting"

You're losing inches=You're losing fat=You're dropping sizes=You're looking NOTICEABLY SMALLER=Win.

It measures your water retention (which at any point can change drastically)
    It measures your organs
    It measures your POOP

Don't get discouraged on something that is OBVIOUSLY wrong if your measurements and body is telling you otherwise.
    Trust what you see when you look in the mirror.

In other news, yes I believe you are eating too little. You're 280lbs, you're working out 5 times a week, and you're eating as much as I do. I'm 4'11" and I work out 3 times a week and i'm 170 lbs.

Recalculate your TDEE, Your BMR and your Daily Calories and stick to it.

Keep it up.

love this. i need a like button, and all your posts i've seen btw :)
    anyone ever say you look like maggie gynlenhol? I'm sure i'm not spelling that right.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

You need to get your body fat weighed. Some fitness centers do this. They hook electrodes up to you & calculate lean mass & body fat. A couple of years ago I did this at my gym when we had a contest. I only lost 10lbs. & I was really bummed, then they remeasured my fat/lean ratio & I had lost 29lbs of body fat!! So find a Dr. or gym that does this for you & you'll feel a lot better about your progess.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    p.s. wanna see something motivating AND so dayum cool? Check out this chick. She lost weight in a not so healthy way, then got educated. Lifted some heavy weights and came back slimmer and looking hawt!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Oh. and her after picture is 11 pounds HEAVIER than her before picture. ;) You're doing an awesome job! Keep on truckin' lol