Anyone tried "barefoot" running?

Options
I have seen people running with the Vibram "toe shoes" and I must admit, I'm curious. Before I spend the money and try it out, I thought I would see what people who have tried it think. Have you tried it? What did you think? Is it difficult to adjust to? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!

Replies

• labington
    labington Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks!
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will give you my personel experience:

I am a 38 YO, 200+ lb runner. I had major reconstructive knee in 1999 and I am in the Army. I've run several 1/2 marathons and 1/2 IMs. I started wearing Vibrams about 2.5 years ago and now I run exclusively in minimalist shoes. I can tell you it has made a ton of difference for me. I attempted to run in coventional shoes about a month ago and had noticiable knee pain after only 3 miles.

The philosophy that a minimalist shoe encourages runners to run naturally and that conventiaonal shoes encourage a heal strike has beared out for me.

HOWEVER, I caution you with this, I bought vibrams and walked around in them for a couple of months before I started running in them, and I eased into wearing them full time for over a year. If you rush into them then you risk achilles/calf injuries. You really need to ease into these shows...Remember when you heal strike, you absorb most of the impact in your joints hence the need for severely padded shoes. If you run more forefoot, your muscles, calves, hams, quads absorb the impact, how god intended. But for most we are not accustomed to this and need to retrain our bodies to work this way. It takes time...
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So bizarre I was just about to post asking about these running shoes I'm really intrigued. But after reading robs post I'm worried! I had tendinitis in my heel a long time ago but I haven't forgotten the terrible pain! I've only seen them online, I'd like to try some on before I part with my cash, does anyone know of any shops in the uk that stock vibrams?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I AM NOT A RUNNER

I just wanted to make that clear.

However, I love my Vibram's. I have a "five finger tattoo," aka a very clear tan line that exposes my lily white toes when i wear open shoes. I have an every day pair and a pair with a strap for sailing and other water sports. As for the breaking in, there are only a couple of months here where I can't wear them, and I still get blisters when I break them out again each year. It is always "hey, look, it's a nice day, let's go for a hike!" "OK, let me dig out my Vibram's. Every. Single. Spring. Please, be smarter than I and learn from my mistakes.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll post my personal experience as well as I have done so before on similar threads.

I have been running in vibrams since 2010. When I started running I was in conventional sauconys and found that I got a lot of runner's knee and shin splints. The vibrams were great! knee pain gone, shin splints gone. It also feel "lighter" running in them. You do have to adjust to them SLOWLY (about 1/2 mile at a time) because your arches and calves are not used to working this hard!

I like them best for trail running and mud runs but I do wear them when I run in the city (but if you step on a rock it DOES hurt!). I also have minimalist running shoes (both the nike free + and the merrells pacers glove) that I wear as well

Vibrams are also great for lifting weights, but tough to use on gym machines (which is why I have the minimalist sneakers).
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

The study switched the group directly to Vibram's without any transition. This should never be attempted. You go from regular running shoes to typical minimalist shoes first to promote a forefoot strike. After an adjustment period you can then slowly transition to Vibrams.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would also point out that these are about the same cost as good running shoes, but because there is no support to wear out, they last forever. My oldest pair (2010) has the siping worn down in a couple of places, but I haven't noticed any difference with grip.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I don't run "barefoot", but I do run barefoot - on sidewalks id they are smooth enough and certainly on the beach - when the tide has just gone out is best so the sand is firm.

I used to run with conventional shoes but always suffered knee pains. Now I run bare-footed the only limitation is if I develop a hot spot - usually on concrete but never on sand.

I can't speak for minimalist shoes - I don't use them.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have tried it...I actually switched back to running shoes because parts of my run are on concrete.
    Last year I fractured my foot using them because of the concrete.
    I use them for dirt trails or a track, but not sidewalks!
  • reverendzor
    reverendzor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Let me preference this with the fact that I "dislike" running/jogging, but I will be continuing to do it at least through the beginning on May :-)

I bought my first pair of Vibram KSO's about 3 years ago when I was still around 280ish pounds. At the time I had seen an article online talking about modern shoes perhaps causing more problems than they solve in regards to a person's gait. I myself at the time was loosing weight, but found that walking or even using the elliptical for extends periods of time was causing me middle to upper back pain/fatigue and I decided to invest in a pair of barefoot shoes to see if it would help any (and cause me to enjoy cardio a bit more).

I would say within a month of "going barefoot" all my back discomfort disappeared (note: prior to this I was wearing your standard men's jogging shoes with tons of padding as well as raised heels).

Since then I have worn through my original pair of Vibram's and are now on my second pair of KSOs; While wearing them I have completed the Couch 2 5k program and routinely jog about a mile twice a week...

...And will be jogging the Color Me Rad 5K Run in May; after that though I plan on reverting back to using the elliptical/biking (As I said, I actually don't enjoy running).
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who went out and just tried it got plantar fasciitis and couldn't run at all for a while. Be careful and read up on some notes for beginner's.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love running with vibrams. I got a pair last year and I feel they are lighter. Everyone is different, try it if you want, go to a good shoe store and see what kind of arch you have and if they would work for you.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Okay 1. I don't run, I have a pair of 5 fingers I love them they help greatly with my plantar fascitis however my place will not allow me to wear them.
    2. My husband is an avid runner 10+ miles every other day and soley runs in vibrams tried others and couldn't adjust, bought his second pair in the last 4 years just the other week. He's active duty military. So we are pro barefoot running, both of our children have a pair of vibrams as well, we believe they build the physical structure of your foot better as well as develop your calf and leg muscles.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I never have, I'm more of a walker. But, my Son does and he swears by them. He started wearing them in his first year in the Army and still does.I have to admit they look a little funny, but that's all he wears. I'd say go for it. :)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking about trying it, I would go to a running store and get some "in-between" shoes first.

I've been running in traditional 12mm drop shoes, and just recently bought a pair of Brooks PureCadence which are only a 4mm drop. I'm still working on transitioning into them, as it really is a completely different feeling!

Then once I get used to those for ahwile, I might try the Vibram FiveFingers...we'll see though because I still think they look rediculous!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I got a pair on the clearance table at EMS this winter. I mostly got them for weight lifting, but I wore them when I went on vacation a few weeks ago and did a ton of walking in them, and they were super comfortable. I hadn't run in a while, but I decided to take them out for a test last week. I just ran about a mile and a half, since I knew that I'd be sore from not having run in so long. Normally when I run for the first time in a long time, I get a twinge on the side of my knee right away and shin splints the next day. This time, I didn't have any soreness at all. I'm going to ease into running a little bit longer a few times a week with no plans to wear any other shoes at this point.

My husband runs more than I do and got on the minimalist shoe kick after he read "Born to Run". He hasn't tried the toe-shoes, but he's done other kinds of minimalist shoes with mixed results.

And if you try Vibrams--the first few times you put them on will be awkward. Just getting the gist of positioning your feet and toes as you put them is tricky at first. After a few weeks, you'll be able to just pull them on as easily as any other sneaker. I got a blister under my big toe the first couple times I wore them (during an Insanity workout), but no issues since then.
  • labington
    labington Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I don't consider myself a runner, but in the spring, summer and fall, I run instead of doing cardio at the gym- if for nothing else than the fresh air and change of scenery. I've never had my gait (is that what you call it?) analyzed, so I don't know what part of my foot is hitting the ground first now, but it sounds like a slow transition into this is the best way to go. Thanks!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend swears by them! He has a weak ankle and would always roll it while running (Something about normal sneakers and the heal being to high). He had pretty much given up on running when he started playing with the minimilist and vibram toe shoes. It has helped strengthen his ankles and renewed his joy of running.

He did have to work up because it is tougher on your calves than if you were in "normal" shoes
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've tried running with both Vibram and regular running shoes. The problem is, I've gotten used to run with the Vibram ones, so now even with regular shoes I run with the same form as if I was wearing the vibram (meaning, not landing on my heel). No matter how comfortable shoes might be, if when running I use the heel, my knees will kill me.

By the way, Marshalls have original Vibrams for $39 lol Just make sure they have your size if you want to buy them.