Runners: Pre-run food / drink (5-10km training run)

Options
jaxx2011
jaxx2011 Posts: 20 Member
Hi All,

Wondering what you take in before heading out for a training run? I've heard loads of recommendations but wanted to see what those on MFP suggest?

Thanks!

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For a 5-10km training run (or race) you don't need any specific food to keep your fueled for your run. So I make sure I don't eat at least half an hour before my run, or an hour if it's a big meal. That's all, no specific foods.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a banana 25-30 minutes before I go running. I need a little fuel for my body and anything else is much to heavy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For a 5-10km training run (or race) you don't need any specific food to keep your fueled for your run.

agreed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do nothing special prior to training runs. Especially short ones. Even when marathon training I got into a routine of wake up & go without eating before my long runs. Proper hydration the night before was about all I worried about.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do nothing special prior to training runs. Especially short ones. Even when marathon training I got into a routine of wake up & go without eating before my long runs. Proper hydration the night before was about all I worried about.

This is me too. I run at 4 am usually...no food, just lots of water the day before.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Depends...I generally only like a light snack before my short runs. My long runs (which are only 4 miles at this point) I usually have a light breakfast, like a small bowl of cereal or something.

I can't stress enough about proper hydration though. Do not think that you can drink some water before hand and be good. It starts the day before, or for someone like me several days before.

In the end it is all trial and error. You will have to see what works for you. Every runner is different.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm different from everyone else-- I need fuel... I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana... About 2 hours before... Happy running!
  • Pudders3
    Pudders3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I'm running at the end of a day at work, I get home so hungry that if I don't eat, I won't go! Banana or handful of nuts (about 20g), or 30g wholegrain cereal and skimmed milk solve the problem, I can run about 30 min after eating that with no issues and it stops the hunger pangs. I'm ready to eat when I get back though! On days off, I agree, I try to just get up and go before breakfast, and once I'm out there it's fine :)
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For a 5-10km training run (or race) you don't need any specific food to keep your fueled for your run.

agreed.

Double Ditto
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't work out on an empty stomach in general. I basically have another meal or snack before I can exert any energy.

Before running, I've been eating about half a sweet potato. I need those carbs! I've also had cereal before or oatmeal with a banana. I tend to do longer runs, so it helps.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning then I don't have anything, if it's after work when I'm tired then I make sure I have a little something mid-afternoon (ie. couple of oatcakes or some dried fruit).

If it's the morning of a 10k race then I will have some porridge 2 hours before but that's just cause you have to hang around for ages before!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    COFFEE!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: I have had some of my best runs when on this stuff.
  • jaxx2011
    jaxx2011 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great - thanks everyone! So what I am doing seems to be right - I always try make sure first and foremost that I've been drinking enough water (but I always try keep hydrated so it's no difference).
    Thanks again
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    On an ordinary day I've had oatmeal and a cup of coffee or two before my shorter training runs of six or seven miles - that seems to work for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do my long run (5-6 miles) on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I get up, drink my coffee, go to the bathroom, get ready. Then I eat a banana with a tsp of almond butter. Any more is just too heavy and less, I get hungry before I get home. I take water with me, but only take a couple sips before running, I mostly drink it after.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    nothing if its under 5 miles, and maybe I'll do peanut butter toast or an apple 30 minutes before long runs. I hate having food in my stomach while running.
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm different from everyone else-- I need fuel... I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana... About 2 hours before... Happy running!

This is similar to what I eat, at least 1 hour before.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm overcomplicating things (wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure)...

But part of this conversation seems to have to do with what exactly "eating before a run" means. IMO, if you're eating 1-2 hours prior, that's not eating for a run, that's just eating. When I think eating before a run, I'm thinking more about energy foods (not necessarily energy products like gels and gus, but also bananas, PB&Js, etc) 30 minutes or less before a run - food that you're eating specifically to fuel the run.

Are people eating oatmeal and such 90 minutes prior specifically to fuel a run, or because you need breakfast?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I normally run during my lunch hour I have my breakfeast around 1030 ish I have my steel cut oats mix in some fage 2percent plain yogurt and have some fruit to go along with it. On the times I run in the AM I just get up and head out I. My run is about 1 hour long 7-8 miles 3-5 times a week depending on weather and whats going on at work.