Black Girls Run

Options
2»

Replies

• DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just as a reminder you do not have to actually be abe to run yet. They encourage walking and slow pace jogging. So all levels are welcomed.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I need to find out about this group and see if it is in Dallas, TX
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello MyFitnessPal's,

I wanted to give a brief explanation for not locking this thread and remind users of some key community guidelines.

After spending a few moments looking in to this topic and it's focus (the organization Black Girls Run) I found that there are not racial requirements for participating in BGR events and they have covered the topic of potentially appearing discriminatory in their blog.

The organization is working towards raising awareness around predominantly African-American communities with significantly higher health issues caused by genetic pre-disposition and cultural factors.

Please consider that you don't have to have cancer or be a woman to participate in events such as the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.

Our community guidelines include the following

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

&

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Regards,

Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    pretty sweet. im just really lightskinned. :) doubt that would work. wish i could join something cool like this. run girls! im all for it. Very cool.

Ummmm you CAN run with this group. They are not racist at all and even have several non-African American members. They promote unity amongst all races. As someone mentioned, the African American community has the highest obesity rate. More needs to be done but I applaud all groups that help promote health and fitness. :-)
    im gonna check it out :)
  • SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I am a member of Black Girls Run in Charleston, SC. I need to get back to it. It helps a lot with staying active and free events. The goal is to encourage you to move and they help with the couch to 5k. I am going to add you guys so that i can stay in touch!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If any ladies here have info on local BGR meetups in MD (Bowie area), please let me know. I have been unable to find anything online.

Thanks!