Treadmill vs Running Outside

Options
Hi Everyone

I recently bought a treadmill (which I love) but I also run outside. I'm a bit confused about speed/distance as when I run outside I usually run 3 miles in around 31 minutes (according to walkjogrun.net) but when I run at what seems like a similar speed on the treadmill it takes me longer. I run at anywhere between 4.3 and 5mph on the treadmill but 5mph feels much faster than when I'm running outside. I'm training for my first 10K in a while which would take me just over an hour on the road and around 80-90mins on the treadmill.

Is this just to do with the lack of forward momentum etc or am I missing something?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill, you don't actually go anywhere. In my opinion, the idea of a treadmill shouldn't have actually gone anywhere.

I'd suggest incline work though if you have the option.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know what you mean but sometimes it's easier as I don't have to worry about where the kids are when I'm out running etc. I still run outside too so don't judge me too much. :laugh:

I use inclines too and do some of the programmes available on the treadmill. I sweat a lot though so it can't be all bad.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The belt speed and the readout on the treadmill isn't going to be as accurate. I occasionally use a treadmill if the weather is really bad and I can set it at a 10:00 pace and it feels like my feet are moving faster than what I would do outside to run at that speed.

I think your best bet is to set the incline to 1 and not compare the speed on the treadmill to the speed outside. Use your heart rate as a gauge on how much effort you're putting into the run and ignore the readout on the machine.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice iWaffle. You're right - I don't think there's much benefit to comparing the two.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this, too. I know I can run a 10 minute mile outside fairly easily, but if I set the treadmill to this same speed I feel like I'm running my little heart out and can't do it for very long. It's frustrating.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The treadmill feels harder usually because you are inside where it is warmer and there is little airflow to cool your body. Therefore you overheat faster and you get a higher heartrate at any given speed.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Since you are training for a 10k which will probably be outside, I would run outside as much as possible. Use the treadmill when you just can't get those miles outside because of weather, kids, etc. I hear to set it at a 1% incline to feel more like running outside. Good luck at your race!! I love races!!
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Its the same as when people run on the treadmill and do 3 miles at 5mph and then go outside and can barely get through 2 miles at the same pace. The belt on the treadmill actually gives you help with your forward motion and on the bare ground all you have is your full effort. I can run on the treadmill but would not dare to run outside due to my bad knees. The fact the ground does not give any shock but pressure kills my knees.
  • mmctaw
    mmctaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The treadmill feels harder usually because you are inside where it is warmer and there is little airflow to cool your body. Therefore you overheat faster and you get a higher heartrate at any given speed.

^^This

The other thing is that the treadmill is going at a consistent speed whereas when you're jogging on your own, you actually change speeds quite a bit due to inclines/declines and your own body's rhythms. I would recommend training at something you're comfortable at and not to worry about what it says on the treadmill, even if it's lower than you'd like.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I find myself running a bit faster outside, but my feet/ankles/knees generally are a lot more sore after running outside since I'm running on a much harder surface.
  • xcitmnt
    xcitmnt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner and I just trained for a 10K for five weeks mostly on a treadmill (running only three days outside). I was using a 10 minute mile as my race pace but when I actually ran the race I did under a 9 minute mile. Race time of 54:43. Don't overthink it and do your best. Good luck!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    There's so many factors that make them different: shock absorption, computer inaccuracies, inclines, belt issues, temperature and humidity differences, mental stimulation, differences between different treadmills, etc...

If you can, what I would do is track what heart rates you're working with outside, and how long it takes you to do your workouts outside, and try to mimic that heart rate/time scenario on the treadmill. For instance, after warmup if you do 3 miles in 30 minutes at a heart rate of 151, the comparable treadmill workout would be whatever speed/incline combo allows you to maintain a 151 averaged heart rate for 30 minutes. You can then translate any outside workout to a treadmill workout using your heart rate over time as the profile to match.

I'm doing something similar to try and maintain my aerobic fitness while I recover from an injury that has me off the road, and it's worked pretty well for me.

Good luck!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I perfer to run outside I feel I get a better workout. When I am running on a treadmill I tend to get board & end up cutting my runs short.

I find it helpful to actually run the race route a couple of times before the actually race. Helps me feel more prepared for my big day :)

Good luck :)
  • KeithKanderski
    Options
    There are differences between the two - I think the main one is the constant speed of a treadmill, which makes it seem quicker, while you can vary your speed depending on how you feel outside. For the length of time, you mention you usually do 3 miles in 31 minutes (just over 10 minutes per mile). If you are setting the treadmill between 4.3 - 5 mph, then you are going between 12 - 14 minutes per mile, so the treadmill should take longer to reach the 3 miles. It's easy to start going quicker when being outside and not realize it. I was always told if you are going to be running a race outside, it's better to train in a "like" environment. I've mostly run outdoors. I have a difficult time running on a treadmill (it hurts my feet more and, as another poster commented, I get bored not going anywhere). Even when I run on an indoor track, I have a little more difficulty (although not as bad as a treadmill).

Good luck.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I perfer to run outside I feel I get a better workout. When I am running on a treadmill I tend to get board & end up cutting my runs short.

I find it helpful to actually run the race route a couple of times before the actually race. Helps me feel more prepared for my big day :)

Good luck :)

I am exactly the same way. I think I have a touch of ADD because I hate running on the treadmill because I get so bored, but usually don't have a choice due to time restrictions.