Skinny fat - eat at maintanance? What workouts to do?

Options
The last three months I've been trying to lose weight, but without result. My BMI is healthy, but kind of on the low side but I still got quite a lot of fat. So, I'm guessing I'm probably skinny fat, based on everything I've read and so. So, now I'm thinking I should rethink my calorie intake and my exercise habits. Right now and for the past three months I've done a few Jillian Michaels DVD's and I've been on a calorie deficit, trying to lose 1 lbs/week., which havn't worked. So, should I up my calories to maintanance and ease down on the cardio? I don't have access to a gym, so I can only work out with dumbbells and bodyweight. Am i going to be able to get anywhere with just that?
I'm currently doing C25K too and I'm on week 3, so I'm going to keep doing that to be able to actually run to the bus without dying in a while, but should I not do any other cardio? I may sound really stupid now, but I don't really care, haha.. It's just gotten so frustrating, working out without getting anything from it. Anyone who can help?

Sorry for confusing post, if it is..

Replies

• Glock9x19
    Glock9x19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight, calories, macros)? Could you be wrong about "maintenance"? It's a simple fact that if you are, in fact, in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Because we understand that fact, we can surmise that your tracking is wrong or your calculation for maintenance is wrong. One further thing, do not forget to track condiments, including seasoning (good time to mention that in my opinion, black pepper and Mrs. Dash should be your primary seasoning options.)

Don't increase calories and decrease cardio - I don't understand where you're coming from with that option :/

Work those dumbbells in a methodical way. Figure out a 4 day split, and go from there. Also, immerse yourself in fitness stuff, become the office fit chick, etc. Talk about the fitness, think about fitness, and pay attention to food.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    to stop being skinny fat....stop cardio, eat more & lift heavy weights
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

This^^^ I used to be skinny fat.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

This^^^ I used to be skinny fat.

Yup. (except I still run...a lot). Bust definitely lift heavy and eat more!
  • sambam816
    sambam816 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! The weight should be heavy enough that the last set is pretty hard to do! You might not see the scale budge for a while, but you'll lose a ton of inches all the way around and go from being "skinny" to thin & toned. Good luck!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy Weights.
    Eat at Maintenance or a SLIGHT cut from it

You don't need a gym for this.
    Craigslist is a great shopping tool when building a home gym.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    First off, what is your body fat percentage? Perhaps it's not a matter of fat at all, just that you don't like how your skinny body looks to which I'd suggest weights to tone up. That will help burn off excess fat you may have while giving your body more definition.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You don't need to completely stop cardio, but lots of cardio and calorie restrictions in the absence of resistance training leads to exactly what you're talking about.

You should do some cardio for heart health...like 30 minutes of aerobic zone cardio 3x weekly and 30-45 minutes of recovery zone cardio 3x weekly (basically a nice walk in the park or bike ride). But to change body composition, you should really be focused in on a good strength/resistance program to work on your muscles.

Eat at or a very, very small cut from maintenance and hit the weight room.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    After doing the DVD's, what other methods of measuring did you do besides stepping on the scale? Sometimes you can lose inches without actually losing pounds. Weird but true. Pull out a tape measure, try on some old clothes that used to be too small, take pictures. The scale is basically useless at this stage of the game and if you don't really have much weight to lose, one pound a week is a bit aggressive. Sounds like you would definitely benefit from strength training. Keep in mind, that doing this may cause your weight (on the scale) to go up, BUT you will look a lot shapelier. This is better than the number on the scale going down.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fellow skinny fattie. I've lowered my bf by about 5 percent by eating more protein, LIFTING, interval cardio and a moderate calorie deficit.

You're not going to gain much muscle while eating at a deficit. I think that the trick is to lose some of the fat while retaining muscle and then building.

What are your stats?
  • kaycepo
    kaycepo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    To those who asked; I'm 5'9 and my weight is 130.
  • magpie0
    Options
    You can't possibly have a lot of fat if you're that tall. What's you bf%? Scratch the cardio. LIFT and eat
    Protein.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    You can't possibly have a lot of fat if you're that tall. What's you bf%? Scratch the cardio. LIFT and eat
    Protein.
    That's the weird part, I do have a lot of fat. I don't know my bf%, though. Don't know which site i should use to calculate it.
  • magpie0
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

This is relatively accurate for a calculator.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    And apperently, body fat percent is 26.7%.
  • magpie0
    Options
    Hmmm. Do your thighs touch? You could just have wide hips. The calculators aren't terribly accurate. I'm by no means an expert but if I were you, I'd lose some fat while lifting and eating a lot of protein. You shouldn't have much to lose.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the gym. If so try Stronglifts 5x5. Lifting heavy weights will tone and lower your body fat
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a good amount of protein...start with about 100g a day, lift heavy weights. Can you get access to a gym? Most of the local gyms around here are only $10-$20/month...well worth it. Eat at maintenance or only about 100 calories below.

And...when I say heavy, I mean a program like Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting For Women to start.