Slim Fast

Options

Replies

• sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I lost 21lbs using slim fast & loved the simplicity of it.. No logging or counting.. It was great.. I still keep them in my fridge now for occasional use.. I also love the peanut meal bars & chewy caramel chocolate bar..
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    As far as simplicity goes, I think shakes are a great way to get in the calories/nutrition you need when you either don't want to think about food or you simply have no time to eat.

However, I'm not a fan of Slim Fast as far as shakes go. I'd recommend Optimum Nutrition's Natural Pro-Complex. No fake sugars, a blend of fast/slow proteins, and a decent carb/fat/protein mix. Tastes about the same as Slim Fast but with a much nicer nutritional profile.
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used them to get 5 lbs off.I only had one for breakfast. It worked and I didn't mind the taste. To each their own. :)
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Used them back in the late 80's when I thought at 116 I was fat. Blew out my colon and gave me explosive ahhhh. well you know. Sorry if TMI. Haven't touched them since.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Try the SLIM SLOW diet. That means you get to eat food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I keep a can of the powder around for quick snacks. For example, this weekend, I was walking out the door when I realized that I probably wouldn't have a chance to eat lunch. I mixed 1 scoop of slim fast, 100% peanuts peanut butter, almond milk and ice. I would have added a banana if I'd had one. We have a huge jar of protein powder that my husband bought- I tried it once and it was nasty. Slim Fast tastes good, and I only use it maybe twice a week. It fills a need for me. It also costs about 1/3 of what the protein powder cost (per serving).

I did do the Slim Fast diet several years ago- it helped me fit into my wedding dress (it fit when I bought it, but then I gained weight before the wedding and had to get it off so my dress would fit again). I don't think it's something I'd want to do long-term, though.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I would drink slim fast for breakfast, but eat a lunch and dinner. I did lose weight, but it wasn't something I could really stick with and eventually just gave up and all the weight plus more came back on.

Over the past 11 months I have lost 64 pounds by tracking calories and getting plenty of exercise. For breakfast I eat Smoothies, Yogurt, Cheerios, Eggs, Nutrigrain bars, etc. Smoothies take just as long to make as a slimfast, make one with Greek Yogurt (great protein source) and throw in whatever fruits and veggies you like. All natural ingredients and no weird chemicals for food additives that are unknown!!

If you're looking to drop a few pounds, slim fasts can work, but I don't really see them as a good choice in the long run because you're not going to drink shakes for the rest of your life and I find the slim fast products extremely expensive!!!

I think it's better to invest in a food scale and start learning about right sized portions that you can sustain for the rest of your life!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually used slim fast? Had any success with it?

Sure .... used it (was hungry all the time) ... lost weight .... then re-gained it back whenI stopped using it.

Slim Fast may be a way to "kick off" a diet, until you establish better eating patterns. But without establishing better habits (lifestyle changes) ... IMO you will be doomed to repeat the cycle again, and again.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago but it wasn't very filling so I was just counting the minutes till either my next shake or dinner. Nope, didn't work for me. :ohwell:
  • hubb15
    hubb15 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every morning I mix the slim fast vanilla powder with spinach, blueberries, almond butter and water and it makes a pretty decent smoothie all under 300 cals. I do it this way so that I can "eat" my breakfast on my way into work. I'm not drinking them to lose weight.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Now I want to go eat a Hershey bar..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I used it years ago. I did lose a few pounds, but nothing dramatic. And it made me constipated.

Eat real food instead.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have never followed the Slim Fast Diet but, I do keep their powered shakes on hand. If I have a rushed morning and not a lot of time I will make a Slim Fast shake & drink it out of my travel mug on my way to work. I pair it with some fruit.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just eat real food. I'd be starving on meal replacement shakes, I prefer an actual meal.

Me too, I love it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Pretty good with some hershey's syrup and some hagen daz

I'll stick to exercise and proper nutrition
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I prefer the GNC brand lean shake powder. I usually just put 2 scoops in my shaker bottle and throw it in my workout bag just in case I get super hungry to hold me over til the next meal. but i don't use it as a meal replacement, just an emergency snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    real food + eat in deficit...all slim fast is, is a expensive way to reduce calorie intake...
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've bought them in the past for an on-the-go breakfast, but I'd never do the full diet.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I lost 32lbs 8 years ago on Slimfast by using it to replace lunch at the office with no problems. Yes, it has crept back over the years, and I put that in the main to me taking on a more sedentary role at work. Now it doesn't fit my lifestyle, which is why I'm on MFP!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Used it before and lost weight.

I feel bad for you to get all these rude responses. People here aren't too friendly if you don't do things their way. Best of luck.

I went back and read through the entire thread. Who was being rude? Some use it, some don't. Everyone sharing their opinion or experience with it. Why is that rude? This particular thread is pretty darn civil compared to some I've seen!

i was just about to say the same thing. i read through all the comments and i found it extremely interesting and helpful to read everything everyone has shared, which is exactly why i love this site. thank you everyone for your input!

I agree. I did not see anything rude..just people giving an opinion.

Why do some many people complain about "rude" people on here. who cares its the internet people, get over it! I mean its not like they are in your face every day at work ....