First 5K in two weeks.............. I can do this

Options
2»

Replies

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Bump! Is it okay to take a cellphone if you're using it as your iPod? I honestly don't think I would make it through a 5K without having music playing. I don't play it particularly loudly..

Some races don't allow music while racing - check the local rules. Generally I don't think people care as long as you are aware of what is happening around you. Nothing is worse than being trapped behind a pack of people with music blaring who won't let a faster runner by because they have no idea there is anyone behind them.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Just remember since this is your first race, take your time to enjoy it and not push too hard. No matter what your time...it will be a PR!

Good luck and just a warning...these races are addictive.
  • edinphx
    edinphx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Glad everyone is enjoying the "tips" .A guy named JakeKnight provided this list on a different website.
    Please respond back when you've finished your race and tell us what "violations" you witnessed!

good luck to all the runners!

Ed
  • sarahh87
    sarahh87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Plenty of great tips and advice already.. so I just wanted to say..

YOU GOT THIS!

Good luck & kick *kitten* :)
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, rule #34!! There is nothing like being cheered on by total strangers, so pay it forward and do the same for others after you finish. Most of my races had lots of people cheering, but at my last 5k people only seemed to cheer for their loved ones -- kind of sad, really -- so after I finished, I went to the finish line and cheered for everyone and the smiles on their faces when they heard someone cheering for them really made my day, and I hope theirs as well.

Have fun!!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    jobean12, which 5k are you running in 2 weeks? I myself am signed up to run the Color Me Rad 5k in May 5th (first 5k ever for me as well)!

Im going to the Color me Rad out here in Cali on Nov 2....or 5th? I forgot but either way me and my little mama are doing it!! so excited
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Awesome info!! And yes you can do it!! I finishe my first 5k at 45 min now I got it down to 29 min. Can't wait till this Sunday and see if I can beat my pr.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am doing a local, annual 5K in the Brainerd area, I am signed up to do the color run in Minneapolis with my daughter in July!!! This will be good practice for that.
  • jobean12
    Options
    so,.... use my music and headphones to pace myself? I have heard conflicting thoughts on this... I signed up to do this alone, I am sure I will know people there but am doing this on my own.
  • jobean12
    Options
    Awesome advice, thank you!
  • jobean12
    Options
    Thank you thank yoU!!!!!!!
  • edinphx
    edinphx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Use the music and headphones if the race allows it. i can't imagine not having music while I run.

Ed
  • rdmrock
    rdmrock Posts: 2
    Options
    Great advice, thanks.....Running my first 5k on April 27, breaking a few of the "rules"...I am taking my Iphone (doubles as IPod and GPS tracker) and I am going to listen to it, although at a low volume. I completed C25K a couple weeks ago and have been running about 3 - 3.5 miles x3/week since...hope that's enough!

Good luck!
  • jobean12
    Options
    Thanks and same to you!! Thank you all really for the great advice and support! Just gonna hang on to that and reread all of this before I leave to run........ xoxo
  • Bentleymama86
    Bentleymama86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is in ten days! Im very excited and I enjoyed reading all of the responses lol. Music is a great motivator. I can't imagine running without my exercise playlist!