biggest loser fitness plan ya or nay?

Options
I know here on the site it says to lose no more than 2 pounds a week. But surely its ok to do so right? I watch "The biggest loser* and they exercise 2 hours a day every day and been known to drop up to 11 pounds aweek and they al seem more than healthy. If they can then just wondering..would it be safe for me to do so?

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I know here on the site it says to lose no more than 2 pounds a week. But surely its ok to do so right? I watch "The biggest loser* and they exercise 2 hours a day every day and been known to drop up to 11 pounds aweek and they al seem more than healthy. If they can then just wondering..would it be safe for me to do so?

I've listened to Jillian MIchael's podcasts and watched some youtube videos and they state that the actual 'week' is more than a week in reality. It's set to look like a week for Reality TV
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Again: No.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    1. The Biggest Loser is TV. It is not reality.
    2. I've read that their "weeks" are often actually longer than a week.
    3. The contestants often dehydrate before a weigh-in which can skew the scale.
    4. That cannot be kept up.
    5. You want to create healthy habits for life, and that cannot be done by starting something you can't maintain (see #4).
    6. All of those contestants are morbidly obese. That is one reason they have bigger numbers. It is "easier" to lose weight at those numbers when you have over 100 pounds to lsoe.
    7. It's "ok" to lose more than 2 pounds a week, if you're doing it in a healthy manner and that's what happens. But, it's no realistic for most people.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, I love the show Biggest Loser....

But, no, it's not a good idea to try and lose more 2 pounds a week. If you have quite a bit to lose, then you would probably be okay with losing a bit more... for awhile...

As for the contestants exercising 2 hours a day... it's more like 4 to 8 hours a day on a very strict diet... under the supervision of trainers, nutritionist, and medical personnel of all types.

Go for a a slow and steady weight loss. You feel better, you will learn what does and doesn't work for you, and if you lose it slowly, studies show you are more likely to keep the weight off. And isn't that the ultimate goal.

:flowerforyou:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Even Jillian herself suggests 'only' 4-5 hours of exercise a week
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Your profile says "Body....Im DONE abusing you." Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit and get moderate exercise 4-5x/week. Dont' abuse your body with restrictive food plans and excessive exercise (or water withholding and other tactics used on TBL).
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Also, I think I've heard before that they spend more like 8 hours a day working out, not just 2. Not sure if this is true, but I think that's what I heard. Keep that in mind as well...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Body....Im DONE abusing you."

Heh.

So don't abuse it anymore.
  • jonnieorlando
    jonnieorlando Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser is great, but if you lose too much weight too fast then you have to protect your gallbladder so they usually put them on "Ursodiol" which protects you from getting stones, which is a result of too much protein.

Be careful and consult a physician. I did, I go to a weight loss center thru Beaumont Hospital and they have me on Ursodiol, along with special vitamins too.

Good luck!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Biggest Loser is a "reality show" ..... not to be confused with actual reality

If you are in a competition (for money) and want to lose weight faster than the next person ......"weight" = fat, water, muscle, whatever ...... diuretics, sauna suits ... this is not about "fitness"

Lose weight at a rate that is healthy for you. If you have lots to lose .... 3 pounds may work ...... if you have a lot less to lose ... 1 (or even 1/2 pound) a week may be more like it. Weight loss per week is not a one size fits all.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had read that they exercise 5 to 6 hours a day. Not really doable in the real world.
  • SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im not abusing my body, I promise. I just wondered thast all but damm...6-8 hours a day? guess theres alot of things i didnt know. still think im gonna aim for 5 pounds a week. its only 3 pounds more. thanks to advice guys!