Why I'm Breaking Up With My Scale

Options
cici1028
cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
My scale and I have been through everything together... ups and downs. (Mostly downs!)

My scale was with me through 50 pounds of weight loss. My scale kept me accountable and made sure I was aware of my progress (or backsliding!) I spent time every day with my scale. There was laughter... there were tears... the scale was there for all of it.

However, our relationship has soured over the years. Suddenly the number on the scale became more important than me as a person. I could be feeling great about the way I looked but step on the scale... see a bad number... and suddenly my entire body image distorted. Just because of a number.

Today I weighed in 5 pounds above my weight Saturday. I know for a fact that I didn't eat 17,500 calories over my TDEE in 3 days. Damned sure. My clothes fit well and I feel good. SO.

Scale, we're through. You were a very necessary part of my life and helped me reach success. But you and I are through now. Maybe we can see each other once a month or something to make sure I'm on track, but other than that, I know how to make good choices whether or not I'm accountable to you. So kiss off!

Replies

• porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Critty44
    Critty44 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, Cici. Great post! Don't let the numbers get you down, only you - not a number - can tell how good you look and feel. Nowadays we want everything to be quantifiable and measurable and it's just unnecessary. Listen to your body from the inside out and you will be just fine. I've decide to hide my scale away, too, and only bring it out for weekly weigh-ins. Best wishes!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    aahhhh. exactly! I've made this transition with you Cici! I haven't stepped on the thing in 2 weeks (which as you know, is a big deal :-P) Good for you for reaching this level of comfort with yourself! I am so very proud of you, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support!
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am still co-dependent relationship with scale, but I hope to get to where you are. Great job!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Love this! :flowerforyou:
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The scale's just a tool. The rest is all contrived by those who make use of it. The same holds true with tape measures, the way clothes fit (even more subjective), skin calipers, Bodpod readouts, Hydrostatic weighing, et. al.
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    love this
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I should break up with my scale, too. I don't know how I got into the habit of weighing daily. It's become a habit. Time to step off...
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love this! Sometimes we just grow apart :laugh:
  • hifi898
    hifi898 Posts: 54
    Options
    Cheers to your breakup. I broke up with mine sometime ago when I started realizing my scale was becoming emotionally abusive toward me, taunting me to step on it every day. I knew I needed that number "fix" in the morning first thing, or I wouldn't be worth anything after that. I realized my problem and understood it to be me, not the scale. I said sayanora by this past Christmas and haven't looked back.

Oh sure, we still see each other every so often, just to keep in touch with each other. But it's more like once every 3 weeks or so. I found a new friend in my tape measure, which is a lot kinder and easier for me to understand. It's easier for me to wrap my head around a 1-2 inch increase in my waist vs. a 30lb increase in the same period of time :)

Good luck with your post-breakup successes. You will be glad you cut the cord :D
  • feefeefish
    Options
    Mine is depressing too, it seems to go up when I exercise and I have to near starve myself to make the numbers go down again. Getting way too obsessed with numbers these days though
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I just told my trainer today that I was going to break up with my scale. Reading your post reminded me to do it. I actually think that the scale causes me to sabotage myself. For instance, if I lose weight, I think I can cheat a little more (which I cannot b/c I'm still trying to shed about 10 - 15 lbs of fat). The other thing I do is when I gain for apparently no reason, I get frustrated and start stress eating.

My scale and I are all wrong for eachother. Scale needs to find someone who can handle scale's swings, ups and downs.

Good-bye scale. Maybe we talk in 6 weeks or so.

Yours,
    Kristen
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    best advice i ever read was to get a pair of smaller sized pants....and use them to measure your progress. They will not lie, malfunction, or even change on you. It' s you that will change. I've been very discouraged to not see my number drop as i've been stuck at the 7# loss...but i tell you i dropped two sizes in pants and i've really toned up. Jillian michaels really worked me good...I still have a goal in mind...but when i get there...i get there...until then im working on my next size jeans!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    best post ever!
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i am also in a love/hate relationship with my scale:grumble: There are times when I love it then there are times when I hate it. i think I need to start weighing myself once a month instead of daily or weekly. Easier said than done.
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    YES! Me too. I am working my butt off exercising and eating below my calories, but I am in a major plateau...well, according to the scale. But, I know I am progressing. I kicked my scale to the curb.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nope scales are Eeeeevvvvviiiillll... And shouldn't be trusted...lol
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself. My doctor weighs me and told me that I lost over 80 lbs (I thought it was about 75lbs). If I had weighed, I would have experienced the ups and downs and gotten depressed.

Nope. I don't even have a scale -- for humans.
  • ladylass89
    Options
    u30qa.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!