If I cosume only 700calories/day will it affect my health?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    even if I lose some muscle mass I'll take the risk because I know I can regain it .

Not a matter of if, a matter of how much. 25% or 50%
    Do lots of intense cardio and make it 50%. Do lifting and maybe only make it 25%. Not enough protein available in 700 cal to help more than that probably.

You know you can regain it, how exactly?

Pray tell what is needed to gain muscle, lets see if you even have those basics down.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As far as the "I can regain the muscle later" comment-- it's a lot harder to build muscle than I think you realize. It's much easier (and better IMO) to hold on to the muscle you have while you lose fat.

Truth. Building muscle is HARD.
  • joshuadavisped
    Options
    With that few calories it would be like a cleansing diet which should only be for one or two days maybe three.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have did this and lost 24 lbs since 1/1/13, but I have no energy (I LOVE lifting weights). I am supposed to eat 1860 calories a day, but lowered it to 1700 with 400-650 a day of aerobics. I suffered the next day when I realized I ate only 1200 calories the previous day and did 500+ calories of exercise.

Instead of going to the gym or the 2nd 40 minute walk with the Lab at home, I dozed off on the couch after work. By 8pm I was in bed.

Indeed, if forced the body will find a way to conserve calories.

So if took that 500 calorie burn of exercise (the actual burn above and beyond what you would have burned anyway was less than that too), and you subtracted the calorie burn of normal activities you missed out on because you slept and missed the walk, how many extra calories did you really burn for the day?

Just pointing out that in studies that change to daily activities is exactly how the body adjusts, because base metabolism can only be lowered so much. Higher metabolism functions of growing skin, hair, fighting disease is also done slower or not at all to conserve base calories.

Eventually even the stress of exercise causes an elevated HR, making your HRM think you are burning more calories, when in reality you are not because the load has stayed exactly the same.

Great example I just wanted to expound on as many don't notice that effect in their life.
  • lumadances
    Options
    I know that this Is dangerous , even a 1200 calorie diet is going to be bad for me , but , I'm only planning to carry on this way for another month or two . even if I lose some muscle mass I'll take the risk because I know I can regain it .

Okay, why are you asking for advise only to then shove it aside????
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your question was is it going to hurt you for about 2 month period )60 days). Short answer "Probably not" Your body will adapt to your low caloric diet.

Here are a few things that will definitely happen:

1. You will lose weight
    2. You will lose fat mass
    3. You will lose muscle mass

So, if your OK with all 3 go for it. If you want to retain your muscle and still lose weight, I would eat more and workout. At 23 y/o your BMR is probably somewhere around 1900-2300. It's your choice, but the longer you do it, the increase in risk of have long term problems from it.

your call!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    even if I lose some muscle mass I'll take the risk because I know I can regain it .

Not a matter of if, a matter of how much. 25% or 50%
    Do lots of intense cardio and make it 50%. Do lifting and maybe only make it 25%. Not enough protein available in 700 cal to help more than that probably.

You know you can regain it, how exactly?

Pray tell what is needed to gain muscle, lets see if you even have those basics down.

Yeah. I'm waiting to see what the OP says on this because most people don't seem to realize what it takes to actually gain muscle. If he thinks sacrificing the muscle loss now is "worth it" - I think he doesn't have a clue.
  • victorialclancy
    Options
    I've been losing about 1kg a week for the last 2 months n I feel grate. But I've just realised I havent had a period for the last 2 months, im definitely not pregnant so could this b down to my diet? I average about 700 calories a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been losing about 1kg a week for the last 2 months n I feel grate. But I've just realised I havent had a period for the last 2 months, im definitely not pregnant so could this b down to my diet? I average about 700 calories a day.

Yes, that could be caused by your diet. It could also be caused by other medical issues, though, so it's something you should consider taking up with your doctor.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

yes it could very well be.

Problems with extremely low calorie intake (most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't):

- Malnutrition

"Inadequate caloric intake can lead to malnutrition over time. According to MedlinePlus, malnutrition occurs when the diet does not allow the intake of a sufficient amount of nutrients. A diet with extremely low calories does not allow for adequate consumption of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the body needs to perform its daily life processes. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to various problems, including fatigue, impaired wound healing and extreme weight loss." *1*

- Slower Metabolism (takes a while, but does happen)

"Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns fuel for energy. The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories necessary to perform daily basic functions such as breathing, growth, cellular repair and digestion, according to MayoClinic.com. When calories are restricted over a long period of time, the body will compensate by holding on to the few calories that are consumed. Instead of burning calories freely, the body will perform basic life processes more slowly to conserve fuel. This can actually lead to weight gain." *1*

- Physical Changes

"A decrease in caloric intake may cause positive physical changes at first, especially in individuals with extra weight to lose. However, an extreme decrease in caloric intake can cause negative physical changes over time. Once individuals lose excess weight, calorie restriction can cause various physical problems. The Calorie Restriction Society indicates that decreasing daily calories too much can lead to reduced bone mass, fatigue, sensitivity to cold temperatures and food obsession due to extreme hunger. The CRS recommends gradual calorie reduction over a period of at least six months to avoid some of the side effects of low caloric intake." *1*

-Side Effects:

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease" *2*

References:
    *1*
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/277053-what-are-the-dangers-of-low-caloric-intake/
    *2*
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I know that this Is dangerous , even a 1200 calorie diet is going to be bad for me , but , I'm only planning to carry on this way for another month or two . even if I lose some muscle mass I'll take the risk because I know I can regain it .

That's a terrible way to look at it. You are willing to risk your long term health and lose a serious amount of muscle just to shed a few lbs a little faster? What are you going to do after you're done starving yourself, go back to how you were eating before? Except this time, without the muscles you had before to help burn calories?

Dude I'm a 5'8 male currently weighing 248 losing a lb a week on a 2,080 calorie diet. With some extra time at the gym I can even allow myself to eat more. Unlike you right now, I value my muscle mass and I'm also heavy lifting to preserve muscle mass. Losing weight is great and all, but I dont' want to be a stick with saggy skin when I get there.

You can lose weight eating like a real man. I think you have a full blown eating disorder and you need to get over this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for the binge!
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yes...just yes
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    well I Think it will because you are a guy and guys eat more
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for the binge!

yep
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    This puts way too much stress on your internal organs; heart, kidney. Please don't continue this way.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You might lose bone and muscle mass... and become vitamin deficient. And possibly get scuuuurrrvy!

Seriously though.

EDIT: You can't REGAIN bone mass.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Plus you are quite likely to develop an eating disorder. And face the real possibility of permanent metabolic slowdown.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Seven hondo is easily a meal for me sometimes.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I feed my toddler more than this and she's tiny!

Eat more.