weight lifting......any experts out there that can help me?

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I just bought a home gym, similar to the one I used to use 10 years ago at spa lady. It has all the various machines on it all on a pully system to work your arms, legs etc.

Now back when I was going to spa lady I had the trainer help me decide how much weight, how many of each exercize to do and when to increase etc. I am so confused between sets and reps and what they are.

now that I on my own I need some help coming up with a plan, the machine came with a huge poster showing 50+ exercizes I can do with the machine and what muscles they work. Now obviously i'm a beginner and couldn't possibly do all those exercizes nor do I want to.

I am looking to do a 45 minute (unless I should do less/more than I'm open to suggestions) weight training program. I want to work everything I should ..... like all muscles in my arms and legs front, back, inner, outer etc (I want to make sure I balance all my muscle groups) I want to do some back work especially upper, and I really would like to work my butt off and by that I mean literally lift, tighen and tone my butt .....and I need to do some stomach exercizes too.

In addition to the machine I bought I know I can do things like crunches, squats, lunges and pushups but I dont' want to overdo any muscle group either, but I want to make sure I am doing enough.

sooooo is there anyone who can give me a list of complete suggested exercizes to do to get me started, or any links to websites that can get me going in the right direction?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.....I am hoping to do my first day on machine tommorrow.

THANKS!!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The best thing to build your muscle so you'll burn fat and get stronger is to work your muscles to fatigue. Try to find a weight that allows you to easily get up to say, 20 reps, but gets harder as you go along and by 20 you can barely do anymore. Once that becomes easier, you can do more reps or go heavier, or switch it up and go back and forth between the two.

I lift 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells and like to lift differently each time. One day, I may do 2 sets of 12 reps and the next week I may do 3 reps of 10 and then the next 2 sets of 15 and go back and forth. I've read a lot recently that this is great for your muscles because it confuses them and they won't get used to it like they would if you were just doing 2 reps of 12 each time you lifted, and this allows your muscles to keep adapting, growing, and getting stronger. :happy: It's working great for me so far. I can feel I'm getting stronger. When I first incorporated the 10s about a month ago, I could barely lift them with just one arm, and now it's getting easier.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply.......ya tricking your body I've heard is a good thing......I'm def going to have to try that.
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you want to choose about 8-10 exercises, which comes out to about one exercise per muscle group. The list below offers some examples:
    Chest: bench press, chest press machine, pushups, pec deck machine
    Back: one-armed row, seated row machine, back extensions, lat pulldowns
    Shoulders: overhead press, lateral raise, front raise
    Biceps: bicep curls, hammer curls, concentration curls
    Triceps: tricep extensions, dips, kickbacks
    Quadriceps: Squats, lunges, leg extension and leg press machines
    Hamstrings: deadlifts, lunges, leg curl machine
    Abs: crunches, reverse crunches, oblique twists, pelvic tilts
    Check out the strength training and cardio workouts available at Workout Central
    Sequence of Exercises
    Make sure you choose at least one exercise for each major muscle group.
    The muscles to work include: Chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves and abdominal's.
    If you work your biceps you need to work triceps.. chest and back.. ect..
    The easiest way to determine how much weight you should use on each lift is to guess (not very scientific, huh?):
    Pick up a light weight and do a warm up set of the exercise of your choice, aiming for about 10 to 16 repetitions.
    For set 2, increase your weight by 5 or more pounds and perform your goal number of repetitions. If you can do more than your desired number of reps, heavy up again for your 3rd set.
    In general, you should be lifting enough weight that you can ONLY do the desired reps. You should be struggling by the last rep, but still able to finish it with good form.
    It may take awhile to find the right amount of weight for each exercise.
    In general, you can use heavier weights with larger muscle groups such as chest, back and legs. You'll need smaller weights for the shoulders and arms.

I suggest you start with a lower weight then adjust as you go. I am of the no pain no gain theroy.. but alot of people don't feel that way so only you can determine that. You do need to feel it burn after about 6 or 7 reps. The last two should be felt. Once you can get to 15 reps add more weight. Track your progress..
  • sifu33
    sifu33 Posts: 34
    Options
    My dad used to sort my program out, and once I hit a barrier, I could not complete the whole routine, he just moved the exercises around, and bingo i did it, so, the order is important that u dont fatigue an important area quickly. but it is a very difficult thing to do. It might just be worthwhile just payin sum1, once every couple of months to work out your routine for you, and then just focus on doing it.

good luck
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Before giving you specific recommendations, I'd ask that you read this article I posted in my MFP blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

After you've done that... if you have questions, please ask.