Scale at dr's office vs. scale at gym

Options
amm114
amm114 Posts: 108 Member
On Friday I went to the chiropractor. They used one of those slider scales to weigh me. Time = 2 p.m. Weight = 140.
Today I went to the gym. I stepped on a scale with a round face and a needle (not digital). Time = 7:30 p.m. Weight = 146.

Which one should I believe?? There is NO WAY I gained 6 pounds in 4 days. I would be able to tell by how my clothes fit and how I look, and neither of those things have changed. With few exceptions, I have been following my calories very closely for the past 5 months. I'm so frustrated with scales that I think I'm going to go by body measurements from now on...

Replies

• junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Measurements are a much more accurate way to gauge your progress. Maybe try taking two or three weeks away from the scale, and just focus on your eating, exercise, measurements, how your clothes fit, and how you feel. I've only weighed in twice in the last six weeks, and it has done wonders for my motivation, believe it or not!

However, when you do weigh yourself, I would suggest always weighing on the same scale and at the same time of day, under the same conditions (i.e. I weigh myself in the morning, after I pee, before eating or drinking anything, naked). This way you'll be able to minimize the variations. Then, when you weigh in at the doctor's office, don't worry about it if the numbers vary by a few pounds! Because then, you probably will have eaten, are wearing clothes, etc. Weight can fluctuate several pounds on a daily basis.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I'd go with the one at the doctor, unless you usually weigh yourself at the gym at the same time. What was your weight prior to the doctor and gym? Closer to the 140 or 146?
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I say just go out and buy your own da** scale! lol. It will make your life SO much easier. JuneBug has the right idea! Always weigh on the same scale at the same time under the same conditions. I always weigh naked too! Hehehehe.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. The doctor's scale told me a few different numbers ranging from 249-252. It was a slider scale.

The gym scale (digital) told me 261.6. That an hour or 2 after I was at the doctor's office. I'm trusting the digital scale more since the other one was bouncing all over the place.
  • cthomas1967
    Options
    Your weight is such a complex function. How much you've eaten recently, how hydrated (or not) you are, how much fat you've lost versus how much muscle you've gained, how much water you're retaining as a result of eating salt, carbohydrates, drinking alcohol, etc.

It's best to weigh yourself on the same scale at the same time of day for several days, then kind of get a sense from many readings where you're at.

Don't forget that your weight doesn't really matter in any real sense. You could weigh 175 pounds and be totally out of shape and 51% body fat. You could weigh 200 pounds and be solid muscle, able to run a marathon, and have almost no body fat.

The weight itself isn't a good measure of how fit you are.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A scale, as with any measurement device, is as accurate as the capability of the instrument and it's last calibration. I'd use the same instrument each time to take measurements. I'd also urge the owner to calibrate often if I was really concerned with the "truth." As it turns out I'm not interested in looking at the scale (at my trainers urging.) So I haven't looked for 2 months. My clothes are all falling off though, so that's going in the right direction.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The scales at the gym can be off as people tend to jump or slam down on them when they get on. There's usually a higher likelihood of a better calibrated scale at the Doc's office.

Just my two cents :D
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i think they add weight to scales at the gym to make people think they're bigger than they are in hopes that it will motivate them to come to the gym more...... i'd stay with the dr scale!
  • amm114
    amm114 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I do have my own scale at home, but it's a cheapo digital one and I don't really trust it. I'm going to try doing measurements for a couple of weeks and see what kind of results I get. I'm really close to my goal weight anyway. :smile:
  • lcanady
    lcanady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate daily! The best thing to do is weigh yourself at the same time of day-weekly- I like first thing in the morning! Hope this helps! Don't give up!