Ice cream - burning calories?

Options
Hi! Recently I've heard some "information" that if you eat ice cream, your body actually burn a lot of calories to warm them. I'm sceptical about it, so that I want to ask: what do you think about that? Summer is coming and I personally love ice cream so it would be nice to know how much truth is it in that.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi! Recently I've heard some "information" that if you eat ice cream, your body actually burn a lot of calories to warm them. I'm sceptical about it, so that I want to ask: what do you think about that? Summer is coming and I personally love ice cream so it would be nice to know how much truth is it in that.

It's true, look at all the lean people who eat ice cream on the daily or mult times a week
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

It's true, look at all the lean people who eat ice cream on the daily or mult times a week

seems legit.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I eat all my food straight from the freezer. I lost 20 pounds!

That might be because I can't bite into it..
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I use ice cream as a laxative, which thusly keeps my weight down to a manageable level.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I use ice cream as a laxative, which thusly keeps my weight down to a manageable level.

So it's an ice cream suppository then?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

So it's an ice cream suppository then?

Would you stop telling people what I put up there? For the love of gravy, Milo, have some decorum!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Come on OP...I think you know the answer to this...really...all those lean people out there stuffing their faces with ice cream.

If you love ice cream, have some ice cream from time to time, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing some big calorie burn while you're eating it. If that were the case, everyone would be skinny as a rail.
  • starstuckinajar
    Options
    This is the most rediculous question... yes your body burns calories taking anything that's cold up to body temp. Buttt it will not burn the same amount of calories as the ice cream has in it... It might burn like 5... maybe.... maybe... Why don't you just drink lots of cold water? that also will burn a very few amount of calories. and it won't cost you any calories to do!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

seems legit.

some class act anecdotal evidence right here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat all my food straight from the freezer. I lost 20 pounds!

That might be because I can't bite into it..

LOL:laugh: :laugh:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43 pounds and eat ice cream almost daily. It's the new miracle diet!

Seriously....ice cream does not burn calories. It introduces them. It's up to you to keep your intake and output balanced. If you want ice cream, eat it. Just make sure you're sticking to your allowances.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MATH to the rescue!

1 calorie (small c, not a food calorie) is the amount of energy required to raise one gram of water by one degree Celsius. A food Calorie (big C) is 1000 calories.

Let's assume ice cream is water, or at least has similar thermal properties to water. Further assume your ice cream is stored in a freezer at 0F, which is about -18C. Also assume your internal body temperature is 98.6F, which is 37C. Each gram of ice cream you consume must be warmed by 55C, which consumes 55 calories. A serving of ice cream is approximately 100 grams, thus it will take 5500 little-c calories, or 5.5 food Calories to warm the ice cream to body temperature.

Yep, you burn a whole 5.5 Calories eating a serving of ice cream! Eat as much as you want!

Also, to the person who guessed about 5 Calories burned, dang good job guessing :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i scream, you scream, we all scream FOR ICE CREAM!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this theory works for ice cold beer as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Not cold enough ....... beer sno-cones anyone?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Come on OP...I think you know the answer to this...really...all those lean people out there stuffing their faces with ice cream.

If you love ice cream, have some ice cream from time to time, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing some big calorie burn while you're eating it. If that were the case, everyone would be skinny as a rail.

I eat ice cream. Every. Single. Day.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What about ice cream stored at nearly 0 Kelvin? Maybe that'd be more effective ;)
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options

I hope so! I am enjoying a nice cold beer right now! :smile:

I have heard this about cold things, but to bad its not enough to make a difference....