Staying Healthy at the Office

I recently started a new job and am having a difficult time staying on track while Im at work. My co-workers don't make much of an effort to eat healthy, which makes it a struggle for me to eat my fruit, veggies, tuna etc; while they are eating pasta & hot wings for lunch. I have made an effort to drink a lot of hot green & herbal teas to keep me feeling full but still need to figure out how to become mentally unaware/interested in the tempting foods that are being enjoyed around me. Any ideas? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    It is a mixed bag here at my office and people bring in all sorts of tempting stuff but I pack my lunch and snacks and do fairly well with eating my own stuff. Lots of guys in my office will "go halfsies" on cookies & such (and I give them the bigger 1/2). I limit myself on these "tastes" to twice a month.

Like you, I keep lots of different teas & coffees and always a large bottle of water. I use the MIO water additive maybe once a week just to have something different.

I think that once you have the time to make this a "normal habit" of yours, it gets a little easier.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • MrsCCLL
    MrsCCLL Posts: 9 Member
    What always gets my will power is the smell of something really dangerous (like wings or fries, etc.). A while ago I started bringing in healthy baked goods and snacks to share as a way to control the temptations at work. It's not really ideal if you don't like to bake/you don't have the inclination to feed your coworkers, though. I happen to love to bake, and my husband and I can't eat it all ourselves, so it sort of works. I'll make something I know I can have a taste of and then let the group enjoy the rest. It makes them happy, I don't feel deprived, and I know how to track the calories. My favorite treats to share are quick breads (cooking light has good recipes), flourless peanut butter cookies, rosemary roasted almonds, and truffled popcorn. Good luck!
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    I bring a 64oz jug of water to get through waiting on meals at work.

If you really have to go out with your new coworkers, so you don't seem like an unsocial wallflower, just get the sandwhich at a fast food place and skip the fries. Diet soda it up if you don't bring your water
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    I used to work in a small office where everyone was on a different food plan, and no one really stuck with a diet. To top it off, one of the ladies I worked with would bring delicious desserts every week. It was hard to say no to so many of them. One thing that helped was to eat a small portion of it, and just get the flavor. If you're too tempted to keep eating, then see the food for what it really is - a gross mess of high calories, fat and sugar.

You can also try telling the people you work with that you're focused on eating healthy, and as much as you appreciate them offering to share foods with you, you'd appreciate it even more if they would not offer to share so you wouldn't be tempted.

Good luck to ya!
  • I_Owe_Myself
    I_Owe_Myself Posts: 5 Member
    The office is a really tough place if you're surrounded by foodies.

We've got a lady at my office that loves to bake and is quite exceptional at it. On weekends she normally bakes four to eight different desserts and brings them to share with all of us. In addition, the little table right out side of her office (and very close to mine) is always full with chips, cookies, nachos, gummies, etc when she hasn't been baking. Another lady keeps a closet -full- of some of my absolutely favorite chocolate (the mini reese peanut cups) and encourages people to raid her closet on a regular basis. There's no getting away from food!

I started here in the fall of 2010, quit smoking in December 2010 and have put on about sixty pounds since.

Clearly I have no good advice on how to deal with it given my circumstances but wanted to let you know you're not alone! Plus, I'm hoping to pick up a few good strategies here too. ;)

Cheers.
  • asm812
    asm812 Posts: 2
    I work in the same situation, where there are always donuts, bagels, co-workers trying to get you to eat out. Keep a drawer in your desk filled with some healthier snacks, so that in case you do have a taste for something sweet you are being smart about it. When people try to pressure you into eating something, sometimes it's easier to tell them you don't like it, then they will usually leave you alone about it instead of telling them you can't have it because you're on a diet. Trying to watch what you eat in an office is definitely tough, but you have to think about what's most important to you and once you turn all the junk food down and get closer toward your goals, you will realize it was all worth it!! Good luck!! :D
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Just bring a lot of nice high-quality foods that you like. Use real dishes and silverware, keep a stash of really nice coffees and teas, and pack "fancy" lunches and snacks. There's this notion that you have to be eating salads out of Tupperware or sad-looking sandwiches while at work, but for most people it doesn't have to be that way. If you have nice meals that you look forward to eating it won't matter what everyone around you is having.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Just bring a lot of nice high-quality foods that you like. Use real dishes and silverware, keep a stash of really nice coffees and teas, and pack "fancy" lunches and snacks. There's this notion that you have to be eating salads out of Tupperware or sad-looking sandwiches while at work, but for most people it doesn't have to be that way. If you have nice meals that you look forward to eating it won't matter what everyone around you is having.

I agree with Sweet potato! My office is jammed packed with junk, doughnuts and chocolates everywhere but I find that the others are always commenting how nice my "diet" foods smell! Home made food beats micro meals hands down! Get cooking. If you're not a great cook just grab some pre-made seasonings, jerk is my fave, and whack them on your chicken ! Yummy !!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    I bring all my food/snacks to work along with my huge water bottle. I go into the lunch room with blinds on (not really, but i'm sure you get what I mean) and only go for the coffee machine/water machine and the fridge. I don't let my eyes stray otherwise i'm seeing all the snacks on the island. I'm tempted easily.