Average 5K time - first race

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm going to register for my first 5k race soon (I've come from barely being able to run a mile, so this is a big step for me!) and I was wondering if more experienced runners can tell me what their average time is?

I understand that the times vary greatly because some people sprint and others walk. But because it's my first run and I'm pretty self conscious, I want to make sure I train enough so I'm not one of the last people across the finish line!

Currently I can run a 5K in about 35 minutes. Should I get it to under 30 before registering?

Replies

• Brandee4
    Brandee4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just put on a 5K and we had 265 runners. The time averaged from 16 minutes to an hour! Some people walk with their children in strollers. You should register! What great motivation to take a little time off, or if not, it is just great that you can finish a 5K!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Currently I can run a 5K in about 35 minutes. Should I get it to under 30 before registering?

No. Do it now! Nothing like a race to make you more focused on running. It's good to have goals. 35 minutes isn't that bad and I guarantee you won't be anywhere near the last person at that speed. Some people take 45 - 50 minutes to do a 5k.

Just race yourself. Next time race your time from this race. Continue to improve on yourself. There's no pressure to beat anyone but the voice in your head that says to stop running.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No don't wait. Your time is good.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K last summer in 34:42, and I was no where near last. SO many people walk them, that you will be totally fine with anything around 35 minutes! I would bet a time like that will put you right in the middle!

Register now!
  • RedSoxHouse
    RedSoxHouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Register! Don't wait. Doing the race itself is such motivation. I run regularly and have completed several 5k races none under 30 mins ;) I think my fastest was 31-32 mins. It's a great experience just completing the run!
  • rdmrock
    rdmrock Posts: 2
    Options
    Run the race!! My first 5k is coming up on April 27th!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    DO IT! My first 5k was 36 minutes, and the last one I ran was 28:12! Every race I was able to take off a minute or two. You will not be the last person at all. And crossing that finish line is the best feeling....get ready to be addicted!!
  • lej91
    lej91 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys! I will :)

Your responses are great motivation, I'm totally pumped! Wish I could get up and run now...but I guess I'll go to class haha.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear when I did my first 5k. Even second to last would've been fine...but not last! My time was 39 minutes and I finished in the top 50%. You FOR SURE won't be anywhere near last with 35 minutes.

Have a blast!! You will be hooked!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said...do it now! You will also probably run the race a little faster than your training pace anyway. The atmosphere and adrenaline kick in. Most people go anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute faster per mile during the race.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I did my first about a year ago and it took 45 minutes...had a fantastic experience. Go for it!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My opinion is...just get it done. Don't worry about the time.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My first 5k time was 35:10, I think lol. That was coming from barely being able to run 10 feet...no joke.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Do not wait to sign up! I've only gotten under 30 minutes twice. Everyone has their own speed so don't compare yourself to others.
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was last year and I "ran" it in approx 32 mins ...have the exact time at home .... Register and do your best :) There is always room to improve...I found the first one the hardest to do!!!
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was a color fun run. I did it with my mom (she'll be 50 this year). We came in around 40 minutes. Neither of us trained very much for it and were pretty relaxed about run/walk.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you've heard it from everyone now, don't deprive yourself, get stuck in and enjoy it they are mostly fun runners not serious racers
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do it, it will take me an hour.
    But weeks ago more then 2.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ran my first one with an average of 35, pushed myself on the race day to 33!

DO IT!!!
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My First race was last year and it was 36:36. I'm currently in the 25 to 26 minute range now. I say do it! Don't worry about time Just completing the distance is a big accomplishment!