Calories burned on elliptical

Options
Hi all-

I'm sure this has been answered before, but if you could please indulge me. I'm confused on why the numbers are so different. If I use the elliptical for 20 minutes, MFP says that I burned 429 calories. My elliptical, which only lets me input my weight, says I burned 400 calories. My Polar FT7, which allows me to input my weight, height, age, and sex, says I only burned 291.

Now I realize that the HRM is probably the most accurate because it has more "variables" entered into it, but 27% difference between the elliptical readout and the HRM seems to be too much, no? I do know that the HRM and the pulse grips on the elliptical shows the same BPM.

So, I guess my question is, is the HRM the way to go as far as logging into MFP or should I average the 2? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't go with MFP or the elliptical's numbers even though it would be nice to!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    go by the HRM....that is your truest number based on your heart rate
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, I believe the HRM would be the way to go because MFP doesn't take into consideration the resistance or how fast you were going. I always go by what the Elliptical says because I don't own a HRM right now but I do plan on buying one soon.

Good luck!
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep - go by HRM. The MFP for elliptical is crazy high - it must assume a certain intensity/incline/resistence or something becuase it's always higher than my HRM (but sometimes MFP is too low for other cardio).

Also, even though the elliptical shows your heart rate I don't think it uses that to calculate your calories burned (could be wrong though).
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yea, I use the Heart Rate Monitor on the excercise machines.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As a general rule I would go by your HRM. I do the elliptical a lot... and I think the reading it gives me is a little high. I'm 45 years old, 205 pounds (it allows me to enter that data) and it tells me I burn 340 calories in 20 minutes. So unless you're significantly younger and larger than I am, 400 sounds high.

Also don't eat those exercise calories back. That way, it's really only a question of how quickly you lose the weight.
  • SRJ5820
    SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I think the elliptical's calories burned number increases faster as the resistance changes. I wonder if that is how it gets so out of whack, or if just programmed that badly!
  • DedeeMarie
    DedeeMarie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Go with your HRM...I only trust that when it comes to machines and MFP and enter my true calories burned based off my HRM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    300 sounds about right for a large male going at a strenuous pace so I'd stick with the HRM. The 400+ readings are unrealistic.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How weird, MFP gives me 231 for 20 mins. I burn approx. 200cals in 20 mins, and that's going between 70-80% of my heart rate. The machine itself tells me a little lower than my HRM.

I'm 19 and female, so as mentioned above, 300 sounds about right for you, go with that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Let's not over think this. Pick a number, track your progress, adjust if needed
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    thats the whole point in having a HRM...

and worth noting whilst even then it might not be 100% accurate but far accurate than mfp/exercise machines
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thats not much difference, cardio machines supposedly overestimate by 20-30%, so there you have it. Your HRM is right.