Water...

Options
Why is it so important, what does it do? I have increased my water intake to 70 oz or more a day (up from minimal amounts) and all I can say is that I have to pee, a lot, and sometimes it's quite painful to have that much in my bladder. And I am having to get up at night to go. So far it has been more disruptive than anything. I will keep doing it, but what am I going to notice? And what does it do? Thanks for any explanation/advice...

Replies

• runnerdea
    Options
    oh and one more thing... Can I put those crytal light flavor packets in there and still count it as water? Any bad effects from doing that?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Then stop drinking so much water. Yes, your body needs water to function, but you don't need to drown yourself either. If you're not thirsty and your urine is clear, then there is no need to keep drinking.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    All fluids with a few exceptions, such as alcohol, count toward fluids. It doesn't have to be pure water. Just because you add a flavoring to a water, it doesn't negate the intake of water. Don't drink so much if you don't want to pee all the time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1)Keeps you hydrated
    2)Flushes Out sodium (less sodium less water weight gains)
    3)As long as the artificial sweetener in Crystal Light doesn't bother you, your good. I love crystal light and almost always add it to water.
    4)Drink to keep yourself hydrated. If you find yourself constantly in the bathroom, then you could probably drink a little less.
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree slightly with the drink less then advice. Or at least qualify it.

Your bladder is elastic and if you previously drank minimal amounts of fluid it will currently be small and need emptying frequently. In a few weeks it will have stretched and you'll feel the need less often.

70floz looks to be about 2 litres. Far from excessive if you're active and particularly so if your food intake (and a lot of our water needs are met through food) is restricted.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Maybe just don't drink so much within like an hour or two before bed? I have the same issue when I drink more water than is normal for me. And really, my previous normal was almost nothing. I'm working on upping my water intake, and tend to down a lot in one go just to get it in. That does lend itself to frequent bathroom breaks, which is annoying. I'm thinking constant sipping throughout the day may help with that, but have yet to try it out. I do cut off the liquids a while before i go to bed, and that usually works for me.
  • NuttyNat24
    NuttyNat24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem also, but I am struggling to drink enough. So I force myself to drink one glass of water before and after each meal. It keeps me full for longer.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Suck ice cubes instead.
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i drink around 4 litres a day and constantly going to the bathroom in the night which is a pain!! would anyone consider this to much??

thanks in advance for any advice
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    i drink around 4 litres a day and constantly going to the bathroom in the night which is a pain!! would anyone consider this to much??

Yes
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Why is it so important, what does it do? I have increased my water intake to 70 oz or more a day (up from minimal amounts) and all I can say is that I have to pee, a lot, and sometimes it's quite painful to have that much in my bladder. And I am having to get up at night to go. So far it has been more disruptive than anything. I will keep doing it, but what am I going to notice? And what does it do? Thanks for any explanation/advice...

If you having to pee a lot then that means you are well hydrated and you could cut back on fluid intake.
  • runnerdea
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I will balance this out a little bit, then. I know I was definitly not drinking enough, now I will cut back until it is more comfortable. All reponses are helpful so thanks!