where do you look for healthy recipes?

Options
I'm looking for some ~500 calorie dinner recipes, but seem to be having trouble finding a good website with them, they all seem to only have a few and their websites are extremely difficult to navigate. I started looking on Pinterest too, but there are so many people to follow it's hard to tell who would be the best. Where do you go when you are looking for new healthy recipes?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple I like

cookinglight.com

skinnytaste.com
  • Th1974
    Th1974 Posts: 4
    Options
    Chris Freytag (personal trainer, fitness coach, celebrity) She has a great cookbook out that I absolutely love. It is called Choose This. (not to be confused with the Eat this, Not that guy)
    You can look her up she is online, has tons of videos which I also love and a facebook page as well.
    Her cookbook is fantastic! Everything I've made from it has been delicious.
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is a great website. http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/meal-planner-recipe-finder.aspx. There's also a change for life app , that has lots of yummy recipes .

This is another http://www.caloriecheatingcook.com/recipes/. I made the ratatouille yesterday and it was fab!
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com
    Skinnyms.com
    http://pointlessmeals.blogspot.com/
    skinnymom.com
    fortheloveofcooking.net
    amyscookingadventures.com
    laaloosh.com
    And check out Food.com, they have tons of Weight Watchers recipes.
  • casmock
    casmock Posts: 3
    Options
    Pintrest has fantastic recipes!
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    www.emilybites.com
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I always check pinterest. I'll just look through the "food and drink" feed until I find something that looks good/healthy (generally something that has a lot of green in it... helps with scanning), click the link to check out the recipe, and look over that. If the recipe looks solid (We do pretty hardcore clean eating, minimizing grains, etc), I'll go through that person's pinboard. If they have 1-2 recipes with lots of kale and not a lot of cheese, generally they'll usually have many more on the same board.

May seem labor intensive, but most sites like cooking light, or paleo type sites have a tendency to go heavy on things we're trying to avoid.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    Pinterest
  • J_Dragonfly
    J_Dragonfly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • knyagrl
    knyagrl Posts: 20
    Options
    like the suggestions here!
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Will have to check those out.
  • JLAycox
    JLAycox Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ is my absolute favorite! The recipes are truly fantastic (even my picky husband loves them)!
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Chris Freytag (personal trainer, fitness coach, celebrity) She has a great cookbook out that I absolutely love. It is called Choose This. (not to be confused with the Eat this, Not that guy)
    You can look her up she is online, has tons of videos which I also love and a facebook page as well.
    Her cookbook is fantastic! Everything I've made from it has been delicious.

This. Toatally agree. great recipes! really good pictures too. Love her 10 pound down extreme workouts also!
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
    my family has loved every recipe I've made from here

sparkrecipes.com ---- searchable by ingredient and see other peoples reviews and rating of the recipe
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    pinterest.com search for clean eating and there are LOADS
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It isn't a diet-centric or lo-cal website, but I LOVE epicurious.com. (I'm always pushing it!)

Sometimes there is nutritional information included, sometimes not... it depends on whether it was provided in the original source (Bon Apetit, Gourmet, etc.). But you can filter the healthier recipes with the broccoli icon, which is what I do since I started watching my calories.

The vast majority of the recipes call for whole, basic ingredients, which is what I like best about it. You'll rarely (if ever) come across recipes that call for processed ingredients like American cheese, canned soup, etc. It's made for people who love to cook and if that isn't you, that's cool too. It's still a good source for throwing together a unique salad or figuring out what to do with an ingredient you're trying to use up.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like 100daysofrealfood.com she really helped me start to convert my family to 100% whole grains with her deicious recipes. We even use Whole Spelt now which is delicious in muffins!